ron p/ hey bigboy or a chemist

ron

if i buy sodium hydroxide flakes and mix it with a surfancent to make my own syep 1 in a 2 step wash, instead of HF acid, what type of problems am i going to run into?
nothing takes off stack juice and diesel like SH.
Seems to be OK on paint and turns the aluminum white just like HF.
any idea of how much SH flake to add to 5 gal of water to use in a downstreamer?
maybe it wont be cost effective?

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Don't know Ron,I've never messed with flakes.....thats how new formules are discovered tho.....be careful playing around with raw chemicals,one mistake may be your last one ya know but nothing is going to take the place of HF just like nothing is going take the place of women as in what both can do.

Bill B

I don't know diddly about truck washing, but it interests me that you are making a direct comparison between sodium hydroxide (a very strong alkaline) and HF (a very strong acid). Does this mean that acids and bases can accomplish the same tasks?

Regarding mixing caustic flake, I would keep careful records of the tests you run in terms of dilution rates, etc. You probably will find that you run into a maximum concentration to allow handleability of the mix and performance of the surfactant. In fact, as a starting point I would ask the supplier of the surfactant if there is an effective pH range for the material and dilute accordingly.

And yes, Big Boy is correct watch out handling caustic, esp. flake material - it is nasty!Does this mean that acids and bases can accomplish the same tasks?

ron

ron p

this is the chem list that is in a oven cleaner that i use to take off diesel and stack juice
water
sodium hydroxide
sodium xylene sulfonate
2-propanol
dodecylbenzene sulfonate,sodium salt
water is for volume
SH is the cleaner
sxs is the emulsion
2- prop is the thickener
and i dont know what the last is?
i use this in a spray bottle and use it on the tailgates of trucks that do paving
and where the vents from the heated bodies are
i would use a pump up but it uses too much solution $7 a gal
dont know how much i can deluite it yet
it dosent seem to hurt the paint but there was a sticker of the american flag on the truck and the red started to run but didnt hurt it.
i wont tell anyone what im useing on the tailgates and it pisses them off they want it to have on there trucks to keep them looking good all the time
i tell them its too dangerous.
there is a 800 number on the gal. jugs and was thinking of calling them to see if i could buy in bulk but i dont know the dangers of this solution? its got to be safer then HF?
I WAS HOPEING THAT SOMEONE HAS BEEN THREW THIS ROUTE AND HAD SOME INSITE. what ingreadent makes the aluminum white? HF?
also i dont think the soap is need in the washing could be spray on rinse off
i have no clue as to how much of each chem is in the gal. of store bought solution.
maybe i could ask for a msds for this stuff.

Our Sponsors