My new logo

PressureClean

Slick logo Mike! Did you do it yourself or have somebody develop it for you? I would recommend at a minimum you have your web site listed on it. We've actually got customers who told us they saw one of our logo's on something that didn't have a phone number, like a hat or one of our golf shirts with the logo on the left chest, but saw our web address which we put on everything and they just looked it up like that.

Beth

Some interesting point are being made here...

It never hurts to have more than one treatment of a logo, with a phone number or URL on it. It is also important to have one without extra info, for certain types of ads/documents, etc....

It depends in the layout and purpose as to which you might use....

Beth

Mike Hughes

I hear ya about the phone number and website, however, I feel that has no place whatsoever in a logo. I prefer to fill that information in seperately, and in different ways. For example, in a letterhead I might do it one way, and in an ad another............don't limit yourself by including it in your logo.

If anyone would like a logo designed, the artist's name is Amanda, and she can be contacted at amandameyer79@yahoo.com

Aplus

While I think it's a nice looking logo, at first glance I would think you were a janitorial cleaning company, not a pressure washing company.

Sorry to have to say that, but you asked.....

Clean County

Tony,
True but another way at looking at it is Everclear Cleaning services entales powerwashing and any other cleaning services that can be done. His name doesn't limit what people may think his company does whereas your business name and mine (Clean County Powerwashing) People may think that our company only does that even though what were really saying is that we specialize in powerwashing.

There was this couple around here who had a cleaning company that employed 500 people. THey did all types of cleaning. So the growth potential is there more so when your company advertises that it does all but the question is do you want your company known for what it specializes in or do you want your company known for that it can do it all. The big question.

I think about this alot to the point where I may change my company name to Clean County Inc. From Clean County Powerwashing Inc.(I'm not Incorporated yet but I'm on the verge of doing so)

Mike Hughes

Tony,

Well, no, I didnt ask..........I asked about my logo, not my company name.

That has been my company's name right from the start. I originally named it in 1997 with the intentions of starting a window cleaning business, and I didn't want to limit myself by including the word "window".

Then, before I even started that, in late 1997, I found a business for sale, and the guy did gutter cleaning, window cleaning, and power washing. So, I bought that guy's business to get started, but the name stuck.

"Cleaning Services" may sound like a janitorial comany, I agree with that, however, I do all types of exterior cleaning..........so, it would make no sense whatsoever to have "power washing" in my name.

Who knows...........I may decide to branch out into janitorial work...... :)

Aplus

John.
Maybe a more generic name is not a bad thing. However, I never thought of what I do, as general cleaning. In fact I chose a company name to be specific in what I do.... Power wash stuff! I'm not ready to start cleaning windows, and polishing tile floors, and any non-power washing activity for that matter. I'm fine with deck restoration, exterior building washing, and some delivery truck washing.

This year I am venturing into gutter cleaning and repair, to keep revenues coming in for a couple extra months. I'll have to evaluate the results of that before I start offering other cleaning services. My focus has been on adding additional services that directly relate to my primary services. Obviously, here is a scenario where generic company naming works well, gutter cleaning and say, deck repair, may have nothing to do with power washing. I can often add-on some extra $$ on my deck jobs by offering minor deck repairs to go along with the refinishing. But I wouldn't place a listing under "deck repair" and upsell refinishing as an extra. Not my mission.

Everybody has different strategies, and that is one of the things that keeps this business and these websites fun. There's no set path for us to follow, no blazed trails. Many paths can lead to the same destination. Our industry is wide open for the taking. Those who are aggressive, and define their niches in the market, and excercise creativity will be rewarded by great success. At least that's my take on it.

What all this means is there is no right or wrong, it doesn't matter if everybody agrees. Just go with your gut feeling based on all the knowledge and information that you can get your hands on, and you'll make the decision that is best for you.

Aplus

Mike,
I considered the entire piece of artwork to be your logo, and that would include the name. For some reason the whole piece of artwork struck me as more of an interior cleaning company, or janitorial, I don't know why.

Based on what I know of you and your company, from your postings, it seemedto me that you do mostly decks and exterior building washing. I didn't get the notion that you're thinking of branching into other cleaning activities, other than gutter cleaning. Based upon that additional knowledge, then I would agree that the more generic name and logo are appropriate.

Beth

Actually, from the standpoint of being able to add services to a business, Mikes name is a very good one. Cleaning services is not nearly so limiting a name as one attached to pressure washing in a name (no offense to ANYONE).

The words cleaning services will allow him to add any type of service on, and it will fit. As for Everclear, I envision clear water when I hear it.

If I were going to do anything with the logo, I would replace the star with a water droplet, but I like it the way it is. The star gives you the feeling of him being the best. Kind of like in school, the gold star means excellence.(again, an opinion)

These simple things are the kind of thing consumers relate to.

Beth:)

Clean County

Of course the flip side to Beths point is that if you want your company to specialize in a certain field than having Pressure Washing in your name will do just that.

By me if you advertise in the "Building Cleaning Exterior" Yellow page section you will see ONLY Powerwashing/Pressurewashing companies. To me that make sense. I wouldn't want to hire a Cleaning Service company to do this if I owned a building. I would like to hire the Companies who I think SPECIALIZE in that cleaning and I would start with there Name of there Company and then go from there.......

Just another way of looking at this and another reason why I may never change my name From Clean County Powerwashing to Clean County.....This is why I go back and forth on the fence with this one. There is no right or wrong to this. It really comes down to do you want to be known as a specialized company like Mcdonalds who has a very limited menu offer or do you want to be like a Diner where you can order most any type of food. In this case look how much bigger Mcdonalds are to any Diner.(I know bad example but just trying to make a point). A counter point to this would be look at Home Depot compared to any paint store that pretty much only sells paint related items..... even though there products may be much better they can't hold a stick to Home Depot which is a $100 billion+ plus company.

Mike Hughes

I dont think it makes a bit of difference...........what matters is YOU. I can't tell you how many times I have been complimented by customers telling me they liked the way I talked on the phone, or I seemed more knowledgeable then the others I talked to, or even just the fact that I actually called them back!

There is so much more to it then your exact company name......so, don't sweat it.

Beth

Your company name is extremely important. It matters a great deal what you call it if you plan to expand. A name should be memorable, not forgetable.

By the way John... don't change Clean County! It's a WONDERFUL one.

I can't tell you how many people (both residential and commercial) have gone with us and told us it was DUE to our name. They were hooked before we gave them a price.

That's why I like Mike's name so much. Makes you think bigger....

Beth

:cool: by the way...HAPPY SPRING EVERYONE!

Clean County

Beth,
You are so right about a company name. If your a one man operation than maybe the name is not that critical because its like Mike said that what really matters is YOU.

BUT(and a big but at that and its not mine.lol) if your company grows eventually its not so much just about YOU anymore its now about your name and the recognition that your business name brings.

An example of this would be lets say a Mercedes Benz. Nobody really cares about who started the company and how great of a worker he was. What they do care about is what that name stands for which is excellence. Thats is one of the reasons why that auto cost so much..

On the flip side but still important name recognition is the name IRS. Not Joe Smith who works there(Even If he is a great Worker). IF IRS is coming for an Audit how does that name make you feel??????

outlaw

John, I must dissagree, I feel name recognition is every bit as important for a one man operation (me) as it is for a 30 man operation, I've spent a lot of time(not enough money) getting my company name out there, and in my opinion more people wil remember Sky Blue Window Cleaning than my name, saying that my company is registered as Sky Blue Services and as I'm adding pressure Washing now I'm changing it to Services, starting off with mailers to all my customers to imform them of the change, however I'm rambling now, sufficient to say name recognition is important.
Gav

Our Sponsors