Calling all FedEx Washers!!

Bridget

Hello Everyone!

I know it's been awhile. A lot of very positive and exciting things are happening here in Detroit !!

I would like to ask the washers who are washing inside FedEx facilities if they have to protect the conveyor belt.

We have 16 FedEx locations and most recently the building operations company has been making issue with the amount of moisture that gets on the belt.

I've been on site and have seen what gets on the belt. There is overspray of course, but not to the degree that these building inspectors are claiming. They are saying because of our water the metal and workings inside the belt casing are rusting and will fail, costing FedEx hundreds of thousands. (these conveyor belts are as old as the buildings themselves and in my opinion, you want your trucks washed every other day, 52 weeks a year, inside a warm building, using water - there is going to be moisture - but less I digress)

FedEx now wants us to protect the entire belt which runs along the full length of the building.

Are any of you doing this?

Good to be back Bridget!

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Hi Bridget,

Great to see you. We don't do truck washing but this gave me a chance to say hey. Glad to hear things are going well in Detroit, other than the Fed Ex deal :p

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Hi Bridget,long time no see......A lot of very positive and exciting things are happening here in Detroit !!.......I like the exciting part,with a city that big I can see where it would be and I'm positive that kind of excit'ment would scare me to death.

Anyway it may not be the water thats doing the damage,it could be a chemical your useing thats doing damage to the metal parts.

Scott Stone

In the Phoenix area, all of the trucks have to be pulled out of the building to be washed. As for the conveyor maintenance company, it sounds like a transference of responsibility.

Scott

Bridget

Scott,
You hit the nail on the head!!!

We met with the Building Maint Co. and the gentleman said and I quote...." I don't want to be blamed for any malfunction of this belt so that's why I'm complaining to management and will continue to complain to cover my butt"

Not only are we in the buildings washing with water - the office cleaning people are responsible for washing the garage floors and guess what? They use water too. But they are not being asked to protect the belt, when they wash right underneath it.

If you recall....several months back the rolling door manufacturer tried to point the finger at us for causing their malfunctioning doors to stick. We fought that and they had no one else to blame but themselves for selling FedEx substandard doors.

As you can tell - I'm getting a tad tired of the finger being pointed at the washers.

:)

Bridget

Scott Stone

It appears to be the classic dumb truck washers mentality. They are stupid, so we can blame them and they won't fight it.

I had a classic last week.
An account that I have had for four years had the Vinyl decals turn brown from White. What was interesting was that the the newer stickers with the phone number that were literally right next to it, maybe 3 inches were still white. Of course I got blamed, but that the only problem was that they turned brown a week after I washed. It was crazy.

Scott

Amerowash

I washed Fedex for years,and yes they blamed me for the conveyor getting corroded.claiming the metal under the belt was rusting causing the belt to stretch .I had to start to wash them outside.Real tough in the winter,having people fall on the ice and crashing a few vans.Then they went with a maintenence company and wanted me to take a 30% cut in rates,I was out of there. Steve

B

Bo diddly

fedex truck washing

hello bridget,
We have been washing fedex trucks for a while now and the only solution is to pull the trucks away from the belt. It takes a few seconds but romoves the water spray problem. Another solution is to wash all of the backs with a flow through brush system and no more spray.
Any questions, simplewash@yahoo.com Good luck

Gwas

WASH OUTSIDE I DO !!!! FOR FED-EX OF COURSE I MADE THEM PAY FOR THE PAD. I am currently speaking with many Fed-Ex accounts in MI. and they have brought this problem to my attention. Outside is the solution that I am proposing.

Rick - Pro Wash

<br><b>Community Supporter<b><br>
Hello Bridget,

If you have been doing them for years and they have no problems with the quality of the work, then can't you just agree to cover the conveyor system and charge them for the extra time and cost to do so?

This is a change in the "scope of work", and they should not expect to get more service for no extra cost.

See ya,
Rick

Our Sponsors