Cleaning half of a window??

Mike Hughes

I have a window cleaning bid to give for a local gas station, problem is, half of their windows inside are covered with crap......cooler in the way, ice cream freezer, magazine rack, etc.

When you have stuff blocking the way like that, do you either have them move the stuff themselves before you get there, or do you just do what you can reach and be done with it?

On some of the windows, I can reach the top half, but not the bottom half of some of the windows. So, in that case, if you are going to just clean the top half of the window, how do you prevent the water from streaming down the window to the parts you can't reach??

My point is, I want to clean the parts I can reach (top half) of these windows, but I don't want the bottoms to look like crap from the outside because I let water streak down them.........

Any thoughts?

Beth

They should move things out of your way. This is how I have seen it done both as an employee in an office where we are told "the windows will be cleaned on friday make sure everything in your area is off of the sills" and also when we bid windows, and ask them to move things. Never had a complaint about it, and I tend to think it is a standard practice.

Beth:)

glassman

I am a window cleaner and in such cases I let them know in advance when I will be there so that they can move things themselves. If they forget I will let them know I am there to clean the windows and then I will start outside while they move things out of the way. Of course all this needs to be discussed when giving the bid for the job as they may be able to find someone else who thinks it is worth their time to move the things for themselves. My thoughts are that time is money. Good Luck.

Mike Hughes

If anyone is going to move the items, its going to be them...........I'm not getting involved in that!

However, this is a conviencence store, and its not like they have all kinds of extra room that they can displace these items.........I'll have to talk to them about it.

Beth

Mike....
There are squeegies (sic?) you can get in various widths. It's good to have a range in size. You can also put them on extension polls. You might have to go at it from an angle, so just keep these tools in mind. Rod has a couple of accounts he has to do this with.

Beth

K

keith

Mike,

Beth is right about the extension poles, if they cannot or will not move the stuff, and you still want to clean the windows. You can also get squeegee handles with swivel heads to change the angle of the blade. Then the only way to clean the windows right is practice, practice, practice.

Keith Goodrum
KABCO Window Washing

Our Sponsors