Need a better way!!!

Randy

I am sick of dealing with chlorine for cleaning roofs. i have searched high and low for a better way. i bought a chlorine free roof cleaner and when i read the msds it was 5.25% sodium hypochlorite(bleach). today i tested a mildicide that was supposed to be the wonder chem, it did absolutly nothing but waste my afternoon testing it. could somebody break the code of compeditive silence and help me formulate or share a formula that they have found that works. thank you.

Robert

Randy,

I found a product that I use of roofs called Newagain it is bio degradable and non-bleach. It is used on roofs, decks, fences and concrete and driveways. You can find it on the web HTTP;//www.nu-again.com hope this helps

Robert

Kevin

I'm glad you brought up the subject of roof cleaning as I am about to get knee deep in it. One guy had e-mailed me and said he uses bleach and detergent mixed to do the job and he has no problem. I'm going to do some trial and error stuff before I try to do a strangers house. I'm hoping I dont fall through anyone's roof. The questions that stick out in my mind are: Does the roof get slick after wet and cause slipping? How do you keep the bleach off the plants that Mrs. Jones just planted for spring? Will bleach kill them? I guess I'm going to have to practice, practice, practice!

Lorin Grable

I started in on roofs last year using New Again. It works well. Have only done walkable pitch roofs so far but looking to get into steep roofs (=high dollar houses=more money) too. Problems I am facing are safe access and minding OSHA regulations. While I don't have OSHA looking over my shoulder, I have employees covered by Workers Comp. If they get hurt (especially bad) OSHA could start snooping around and I better have my ducks in a row. If you have ever read the CFR on Fall Protection for roof work...well you best think about it before you put a man up there. Also, my level of Workers Comp insurance really isn't at the roofers level so I want to avoid having any kind of mishap. Currently, my employee would be covered in case he got hurt from a roof job but then my %rate would soon increase to the roofer level. Obviously keeping the rate LOW is best.

Another OPTIONAL SERVICE that I am planning for this season is the installation of sacrifical zinc strips to prevent the roof stains once the roof is cleaned. There is a compnay that makes the strips and if you buty in quantity, they are pretty cheap. If you are on the roof anyhow to clean it, putting the strips on is just cash in the pocket. Then you'll be the guy that solves the problem not just another roof cleaner.

bird

CLORINE HAS THE ABILITY TO KEEP MILDEW AND FUNGUS FROM RETURNING PREMATURELY BUT WILL KILL FOLIAGE AND DRYS OUT WOODEN SHAKES.MY PERSONAL FAVORITE CHEMICAL FOR ASPHALT SHINGLES IS SODIUM HYDROXIDE PURCHASED IN 55 GAL DRUMS FOR APPROX $ 50.00 WHEN MIXED 12-20% WITH WATER AND A SMALL AMMOUNT OF NON BUTYL BASED DETERGENT,TRY MIXING IN DIFFERENT STRENGHTS FOR OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE GOOD LUCK NOTE 55GL SHOULD MAKE 300-400 GALS OF SOLUTION

[This message has been edited by bird (edited February 26, 2000).]

Our Sponsors