My 2 stepping needs help

Frank Hurt

Hey guys
Trying to learn this 2 stepping is about to break me down
I need some help !!!!!!
I,m not sure on the strength of acid or soap.
Been using aluminum brightener and a good soap works good on
the dump beds of coal trucks not worth a hoot on the tractor..
What % of HF should i mix and how long should i let it dwell ???
how long before i spray the soap on ?????

Boys if you dont care all help would be great
I,m in eastern KY fdhurt@msn.com 606-663-1910 [nb]

ron

ron p

before you use the HF acid. Please post back everything you know about HF acid first.
Then tell us the % of HF in the acid your buying?
This stuff [HF] is nothing to be taken lightly.
it can kill you. It eats glass,turns metals white,ect......
please tell me what you know about it.

ron

ron p

it generaly takes twice as much soap as acid.
dwell depends on the surface being cleaned and the amount of HF you apply.
You want the shortest dwell as possiable.[my opinion]
BIGBOY will be here shortly to help out.
There are other less dangerous acids out there to use.
They dont work as well but you'll be around longer to use them.

Frank Hurt

HF %%%%%%%%%

RON
The % of the hf is less than 10% also has phosphuric less than 10% . Bought it from northern tool concrete/aluminum
cleaner. item #22375-b966 this could be the problem.
as far as knowledge of hf i don,t get it on me and always
use protective gear.

Thanks a lot for helping..

Frank Hurt
ON THE SPOT
PRESSURE CLEANING

ron

ron p

what are you going to use, as far as equipment, to 2 step?
[you do know its really 3 steps]
some use a dual lance and run there soap threw the pump and coil.
Some have a flo-jet type system for the acid.
What are you[how are] you washing now?
What is your soap caustic or alk.?
are you washing paint or alum?
is it OK to turn the alum white or is it polished?
Where the heck is BIGBOY? Must have went fish'in.
Combo acid is safer but its not as fast/good NEVER LET IT DRY ON ANYTHING
EXSPECIALY GLASS.
When an acid [your acid] meets a base[your soap] it has a reaction
a nasty one. It POP'S the dirt off. Learning how to use it [in my opinion] is an art.
If not done right, it will be faster to brush.
what wash unit do you have and what are the specs on it?
What is the draw on your downstreamer on the langth of pressure hose
you use?
Do you have upstream?
Do you have heat?
all of this will help in helping you.

Frank Hurt

Equipment

Hey Ron
I have a dual lance, hot water, up stream injection, 4000 psi
AR pump belt drive.. I have 100ft hose. I acid the tanks,rims,steps
then i acid the trailer and then i throw the soap on the trailer
then spray off the rims tanks steps. then the trailer. nothing dries.
As far as the soap goes hotsy makes it not sure if its a caustic or
a alkaline...
The trailers are painted alum. the tractors are painted also.
some customers like the acid some dont

machine specs= 4 gpm 4000 psi
have the tips to reduce down to 500 psi

do you apply the soap first or acid ?????
and i didn,t know there was 3 steps

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
here I is setting over here on the sideline,your doing ok with your answers and Q'tions.

HF is a better cleaner than PH and when mixed together the PH takes the cleaning power away from the HF b/c your mix rate is to low on the HF,I use the 49% HF.If it dries you lose the cleaning power and will have to re'apply.

ron

ron p

Frank, This is what I would do to get a starting point.
I would use a brush on them tractors the for the first wash to brake the static berrier.
The next time, i would use my acid at 100%, with my downstreamer set at about 10% draw.
Apply a pre-spray for the dead bugs. Tilt the hood. Apply acid[hot-downstream] from the engine back. Bottom to top[no higher then the door glass] in a zig zag, up and and down pattern. When i got to the back of the rig, twist the handle of the duel lance and shoot the remaining acid on the rims[extra dose].
Walking back to the cab as soon as i had [hot upstream soap] use it on the glass.
then start washing from bottom to top, it should go fast.
Then do the same for the other side and include the rear.
Then move to the front. Shoot some soap down the first side you did to keep it from drying.
Then acid the hood and wash that. Go to your wash unit, turn off the soap and heat.
Tilt hood down and use remaining soap to wash the front of the hood and keep everything wet.
As soon as you get clean water start to rinse from the top of the cab down. If you get hung-up[time wise] you will need to spray a shot down the sides to keep everything wet.
You need to move your butt.
As you learn and get faster you can apply more chem at one time to the rig and get it off before it dries.
So its acid[step 1], then soap[step 2] then rinse[step 3] but you used a bug pre-soak so [step 4]
glass, alum,chrome is where you want the shortest dwell with the acid, and keep it the wettest with your soap.
There are lots of soaps out there, i never used your brand, i would ask around and try another.
If this is not getting you the results you want up the % of acid. If at full flow rate your still not getting the results you want try a acid thats just HF, no PH.
iF THE WIND IS NOT IN YOUR FAVOR , CHANGE THE DIRECTION OF APPLYING YOUR ACID.
MAKE SURE THE WIND IS NOT CARRYING IT TO ANY OTHER TRUCKS.
WIND OR HEAVY RAIN ARE THE ONLY 2 THINGS THAT CAN STOP YOU FROM WORKING THAT DAY.
Have I learned very much BIGBOY? I can acid the whole rig now and then wash, so lond as its not too hot and its not a black truck.
when i say hot water, i mean about 100 deg. not 150 deg. other wise it dries too fast and/or causes problems.
Im still learning, come on give me some advise on my advise.[make sure you use the right kind of injector for acid- call MARK]

Larry L.

Looks like your the [098] now,I hardly ever apply it hot,only when flashing.I never had any luck with the downstreamers(injector)lasting every long when appling hot acid day in and day out,the one I have on how is over a year old.By appling it hot your mix rate can be a little lower then when appling it with cold water.Your soap will cause more damage then the acid if it dries,if the acid dries you'll have to re'apply it for it to work.At the cost of your acid I can understand you appling it hot.

ron

ron p

a dowmstreamer made of brass will last me a 2 months
im going to try a stainless steel one next time.
I never flush mine out when im done, could prob. get more life out of it.
Anyone that reads this post, can you send me info on where i can get the HF acid cheaper?
Dont want the combo acid unless its 30/30% ph/hf.
I tried the 10%/10% and use it flo-jet system at 100% and it worked but was too much money.
My HF is 60% and I use 1 1/2 gal to 3 1/2 gal of water and downstream at 10 to 15%.

Larry L.

I used to mix the 70% but cann't get it anymore,the only % I can get now is the 49%.

I used the stainless steel,think the bass are just as good when running acid though them.Stay away from the ones that have a plastic adjustment for metering,the acid will meltem in a day or two.Sometimes if the downstreamer stops working you can take it apart and turn the ball over,the metal balls will get a small groove where it sets on top of the spring...o yel carefull are ya lose the ball or spring when in a hurry,they can hide good on the ground or grass.

I can also apply the acid upstream(hardly ever do)and when I run into a rig what hasn't been washed in years I apply the acid then I meter alittle acid in with my upstream soap.If your prespraying before you wash(rinse)you can add the acid in with your soap mix,just mix enough to use in a days time tho.

Frank Hurt

Taking it to the streets

HEY, GUYS

Looks like this is plenty of info.. The more i read the more
i learn. You fellows sure are swell folks!!!
Got to go and get some hf , i,m like ron what i,m using is
to exspensive.

THANKS A LOT

FRANK HURT
ON THE SPOT PRESSURE CLEANING[pc]

Larry L.

[po1254] ,,,Just checking to see ifen ya knew your balls :D .

Attachments

• shocked.gif
    shocked.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 129

Paul Freeman

HF? Give it a rest. Dinosaurs use that crap. Go with a good alkaline. Use SOFT water, that’s the “keyâ€￾. Yes, you have to brush them the first time, but that’s it. SOFT WATER rules.

Larry L.

I never use hardwater,how been useing a alkaline soap for 8 years,will agree softwater rules.

Paul Freeman

Bigboy, I know that you know who taught me on the Water Thing.

I hope you 2 can get together some day. You guy's are smarter than the rest of us. Chuck is a smart dude and I think you guy's could learn something from each other.

I didn't write "kiss my feet", in that other post, that was Ron Musgraves. You don't even want to know what I wrote! Nevertheless, I wish you well, and I think you are a OK guy.

Hey, if'n ya ever want to have a "wash off", I'm only 1.5 hours from the AK line. Just don't bring any soft water lol!

Larry L.

yel,think Ron-e gets more complaints on me then anybody else on the bbs,I do not use spell check and know the differents between now and how.It may seem to some I'm stepping on their toe's in a post I've replied too,I only want to know how you'd handle yourself in this trade as to and how you'd treat your accounts,its away for me to see alot of the people on the forums.It doesn't matter to me ifen someone drags me though mudholes b/c I know how to get mud stains out.

Will agree also that ponytail has learnd alot and is not afraid to share what he knows,he almost scares me.

Just like you guys in the 'Show me State" to want a wash off and hallower don't bring any water..

O almost forgot,I stopped washing a account 2 years ago b/c we didn't see eye to eye,was ask Monday if I could handle he's fleet again and what ever it was as the reason for me not washing them is forgotten,what ever it was he said.Yes,I'm going to wash them and forget what ever is was b/c he's a OK guy too,know what I mean,lol.

ron

ron p

this horse has moved to a more inside track.
I respect what ive learned. If i could use some guidance, Thats OK, i will welcome it.
I prefer a guide that gives me a map as opposed to walking in front of me.
Blocks the view.
rottie72@aol.com

Our Sponsors