learning exhaust cleaning

michael N

can some one tell me where i can learn kitchen exhaust cleaning? i live in the south chicago suburbs i would be willing for some on the job training with somebody close to me . thank you

Dave Olson

Hello Michael,

I have had a few fellows go with my crew on jobs for some insight into this type of work.

I invite you to come down also but first I recommend you get and read the following materials:

1. Commercial Kitchen Exhaust Systems Manual by Phil Ackland
2. NFPA 96 - Standard for ventilation control and fire protection of commercial cooking operations
3. OSHA regulations for kitchen exhaust cleaning - by PWNA

Dave Olson

Clean County

Hi Dave,
You are just to generous. :) If you lived closer to my neck of the woods I would love the opportunity to see first hand how your team does Kitchen exhaust cleaning.

I have friends in the restaurant business and one of them told me if I ever want to clean hoods then he would give me his 4 restaurants to service.

Of course I told him if I ever get into that type of work I would definetly give him a call.

Of course having ZERO experience in cleaning hoods I would not want to even attempt this type of work without some know how.

Do you think by just attending a Phil Ackland type School would be enough to get into this type of cleaning?

Everything I've done at this point in my Powerwashing business is self taught. WHich leads me into my next Question Dave.

How did you get into this type of powerwashing? Did you teach yourself how to do hoods?

THanks Dave, and I always enjoy reading your posts and viewing your set-up which gives me the motivation to possibly get close to where your at one day in this industry.

Dave Olson

Hello John,

I started my business part time in 1984. I lost my real job in ’86 and decided to run my business full time.

When looking around for other things to do with our existing equipment I found out about exhaust system cleaning. I got a tape from Delco. I contracted the contractor that was in the video and went to Dallas and spent a couple days with him. My wife thought I was crazy to spend this amount of time and money chasing something I really knew nothing about! She has of course seen what exhaust cleaning has meant to my little business (about 1/3rd of our gross revenue).

Beyond that I was self-taught. No one had schools for that type of thing in the 80’s and IKECA and PWNA had not even been formed yet!

I suggest Phil Ackland’s manual because I think it is a very complete overview of what it takes to do this type of work. I have not attended his class. I have listen to him lecture at IKECA and PWNA conferences. The guy really knows his stuff!

Dave Olson

reonz

In a nutshell, the basic proceedures to complete each and every job are as followed.

a. Inspection of systems
b. Preparing area to be cleaned
c. Access Panels
d. Grease filters
e. Fan system inspection and disassembly
f. Draping and hanging plastic
g. Equipment inspection and disassembly
h. Scraping
i. Chemical application
j. Pressure washing
k. Clean-up

These are the basics of every job. It is also important that you do the steps in this sequence. I could go into each step detail, but it would take a lot of time..hope this helps.

Last edited:

Our Sponsors