Read any good books lately?

Would you buy a book written for small service businesses?

• Yes

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Beth

If you had the chance to buy a book filled with business basics specifically for the service industries like ours, would you?

What would YOU want to read about? Remember, this is the business, advertising, marketing side of the house I'm talking about not the how to do the job side....

Please list what you would want to read below, and take time to respond to the poll.

Beth

p.s. writing is under way...:cool:

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Anything dealing with running, growing or marketing a sevrive business would be great. Also motivational stuff is good too. I just read Think and Grow Rich and found it to be pretty interesting.

johnisimpson

Beth,

I always am thankful for examples from instructive books. It's frustrating to read something like "flyers work well" and then not be given any good examples of flyer layouts or design options.

Also, I think it would be great to have a book that would serve as a reference guide. Lists of phone numbers, reputable businesses, agencies and the like. Mailing lists are an example since they can be bought from almost any marketing firm but it is often said in books to avoid buying lists from companies that over distribute their lists. My problem is knowing how to distinguish between firms and feel confident that I've paid a fair price for a good list. Having references to a few national firms with solid reputations would be wonderful.

Good luck with the writing, and I think Dan's idea of audio is great

John

Beth

want a hint???

John,

I'm reeeaaaally glad to hear that you would like to see this type of thing, because as I read your post it has described the layout and style of what I'm working on.

I want to be able to write a book that people will use over an over, as a desk reference, until it is dog eared, written in, sticky noted, and highlighted. I want to create a tool.

I am going to publish it to CD also I think, since many of us only have time in a truck to spare....

Sound good so far?

Beth

Mike Hughes

Well, I have a ten disc cd changer in my car, and a six disk in my wife's car.

Somehow I don't think either my wife or child would want to hear that material........and I only drive my car one day a week for estimates, mainly.

Marv

I too find it dificult to make the time to sit down and read. I have always benefited most from magazines. They tend to be written with just the 'meat', and not the novel style desciptives. Most articles seem to stay within the ideal time frame of our (at least mine) attention span of 20-25 minutes. So I would prefer that style, perhaps short chapters and/or sub-sections. That would also aid future reference reading.

I would greatly benefit from inspirational tidbits, or motivational stories. Working a scheduled 46 hours full time, and going on a limb to start this business, it sometimes feels like a goose chase. And the vision that drives can get blurred. That is one of the reasons I read these BBs. You guys have gotten through the start up, and it helps to know I am not the only one sayin " I can make this work"

Tim Smith

I would like to read a book that covered the following?

1 Marketing / Advertising ----- Target Markets - Not just examples but how to send a hidden message, wording depending on who you are reaching, etc.

2 Business Side ---- Accounting, Taxes, Inventory, Budgeting, etc.

3 Operations Side ---- Techniques of the trade, How to restore decks, driveways, houses, roofs, etc.

4 Equipment --- Different type of equipment, Trouble shooting guide, etc.

5 Chemicals --- Overview of different chemicals and their uses, Different formulas for making your own, Safety & Hazordous Chemicals, MSDS, etc.

6 Overview of the Industry ---- Where we came from and where we are going, the importance of presenting yourself as an professional to improve the image of a pressure washer contractor, etc

*****Most of all a book that will enhance the industry and benefit both the old timers and the newbies, without being a vehicle to push products or equipment*************

I read a lot of books on business and the pressure washing industry -- I yet to come across a book that hits all aspects of this industry. I would certainly buy a book described above.

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
<B> Sounds like a job for Beth!</B>

How about it Beth? <i> Are you up to the challenge?
I would help promote a well written book like Tim suggested.</i>

:)

Beth

Hi Mark!
I'm working on it... :) And I may take you up on that offer with regards to someting else. I'll call you later.
Beth

EXTREME

Beth, I am putting my order in now,lol. I know it will be good. How about this for an idea, you could make it like a for dummies book, hey, maybe even get published with them, wouldn't that be nice. It could be one of those types where you don't read it cover to cover, you read it for a specific subject when you need it. Obviously it will have different specifics in it. Just a thought. Good luck. Hmmmmmm, a tape and book combo, now I am thinking.

Our Sponsors