getting into fleet washing

Chuck Richard

What is the best way to go after potential customers. How do you price the job. Wanting to expand into something that stays busy in the winter when the residential work slows up.

ron

knock on door's. Ask if the customer is happy with there current service? Ask them what they pay?
Find out if reclaiming your wash water is necc?
Truck washing will start to pick-up in states where it snows.
What type of industry is there near you? farming? over the road type,smaller fleet?
try the post office and see who washes there trucks?
Check the yellow pages for construction co's.

Scott Stone

Start hitting doors. Remeber that you will seldom if ever get an account on the first pass. You have to go back time after time. If you do get a good account on thefirst trip out, I wouldnot want it, because that means that they are likely to change at the drop of a hat. There are other types of services that can be provided year round. You need to do a little research to see what is needed in your area.

Scott

Chuck Richard

fleet washing

There are three major beer distributors, one pepsi, one coke, and 2 major post offices. The post office has already called me but they would only pay $3.00 per vehicle and they wanted me to buy a reclaimer. to me the numbers didn't work. Are these the kind of prices i should expect or is the post office out of its mind?

Dan S

Originally posted by Scott Stone
Start hitting doors. Remeber that you will seldom if ever get an account on the first pass. You have to go back time after time. If you do get a good account on thefirst trip out, I wouldnot want it, because that means that they are likely to change at the drop of a hat. There are other types of services that can be provided year round. You need to do a little research to see what is needed in your area.

Scott

This is your best advice re-read it.......

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
What is the best way to go after potential customers.

I think the best way would be to know alittle about the potential customer as in doing bookwork on them,do they pay good,when do they pay,have much trouble in getting their things together to wash.ect.

"How do you price the job."

I think most of us price what we need to make a hour as some fleets will take longer to wash each truck,weekly,bi-weekly,mouthly,ect.

"If you do get a good account on the first trip out, I would not want it, because that means that they are likely to change at the drop of a hat."

That is not necessary so,a good salesperson with his bookwork done can take accounts and keep them on his first trip out,Its done everyday.When I try to get a account I hope they will go with me the first trip out,I can keep them from dropping the hat.

"Are these the kind of prices i should expect or is the post office out of its mind?"

Yes,those are some of the prices you'll run into out here doing fleets,you'll also run into big rigs being washed for less then 15 which I think as you say out of their minds.

Mike Hughes

That post office job would be a good one after you've been doing fleets for a while and already own the set up. Then, you might be able to turn a small profit on it.

Scott Stone

$3.00 a vehicle, including no doubt, interiors. If it was extreior only for three bucks I would consider it, but not for long. The minimum is about $3.75 a vehicle. I can do it for less, and make money, but I won't do interiors for that price. Postmen are pigs, at least in the Gov vehicles.

Scott

Dan S

Scott,
my local State Police wants me to do there cars @ 7.50 inside 7.50 out ... 22 of them .Seems a lil low .......... but I think I may grab it and add to the "fleet" account .........

Burtco

Chuck,

Did you have any luck in acquiring any fleet washing accounts yet? I am going to try to expand into that as well. I am doing some rinse and wipe work for a few small used carlots. That service pays between $1.75 and $2.50 per vehicle. I want to get into more of the fleet work but I have to do a little more research pertaining to the best system to use and exactly what services to provide. One of the lots that I am doing said he currently pays $65 to a detail shop when he gets a new car in and he has to deliver it and pick it up. He said that is mine if I want it and can do it there at the lot. Maybe I should learn to detail cars and take him up on it???

Scott Stone

Dan,
Sorry, I just saw your post. I guess I need to pay more attention. For $15 a car, I would take it and grovel for more, especially for 22 of them.
E-Mail me and I will tell you in detail how we do police cars.
I won't post it for competitive reasons.
The-washer@msn.com
Scott

Our Sponsors