Was my bid too expensive?

Burtco

I bid my first large project this week and I just received a response that my bid was not accepted because it was too high. When I put my bid in I was worried about under bidding myself. Here's what I was bidding on tell me what you think.

There were 14 restraurants total spread out all over Atlanta and the surrounding area. Each restaurant has approx. 35 windows and 4 doors. Some they wanted cleaned once per month, others they wanted twice per month and some weekly.

Here is what I bid:

Per window charge for one visit per month $1.40
Per window charge for two visits per month $1.20 (per visit)
Per window charge for weekly visits $.90 (per visit)

Example of charges for a single restaurant:

Restaurant has 35 windows and 4 doors.

One visit per month $54.60
Two visits per month $46.80
Weekly $35.10

There you have it. I am very interested in hearing everyones feedback on this one.

anthonie

We clean an Applebees restaurant every 2 weeks for $45
It has 6 large windows and 17 smaller windows plus 3 doors.
You may have run into the "multi location syndrome". They think they are doing you a service by allowing you to clean al lof their stores so they expect a cheap price. Unless you are hungry keep your head up and keep knocking on doors. Let your reputation speak for you, not your cheap prices.

timhays

i dont do windows,but i wouldnt carry the responsibilities of running a buisness for less than $45 per hour for labor only.

mhpoole

Holly Crap, no wonder we dont do much commercial. Get into the residential part. I dont work for less then $45.00 per hr. Those commercial accts will come in time, dont work your ass off for peanuts. It lowers the industry standards and makes you work to hard also. You can clean 2 houses a day and make $300.00 a day doing it. And thats just the start. Leave those low ballers for the scavengers.

Mark

http://www.waterworksnw.com

Burtco

Mark,

You hit the nail on the head. I have been busting my butt for the past 3 weeks trying to get commercial accounts and it just is not worth it. I went to one guys Italian restaurant and he said sure give me a price, he had 10 windows and a door. I told him $17.50 for once a month or $15 each for twice a month. I handed him my card with the prices on the back and He laughed and said I have a guy that shows up every 3 or 4 weeks and does it for $10. As I was walking out he began to tear up my card and through it away.

I did my first residential job yesterday. the lady had 102 windows in her house and she paid me $435 to do them inside and out. I also was able to clean the gutters while I was already up on the ladder for an extra $200. I think the rest of my energies will be spent on getting residential work.

ron

i saw a van yesterday

it was a nice mini van,well lettered and in big print was $6.25 per window.[whole side was the price]
I dont do windows but is this a good price? Is it for inside and out?
Do you need to get bonded to work inside someone's home?

Burtco

I am assuming that $6.25 is for inside and out and that is a fair price for a house with less windows than the one I mentioned above. If a house has 40 windows or so that would be a good price. If the house has 80 windows or more the price drops to between 5.35 - 5.75 each. That is what I have discovered in my short amount of experience.

Our Sponsors