Fan question

Max_rob

I just cleaned Hardee's last night, and the fan is literally caked with grease. The manager asked if I would take the fan apart and clean it. I told him I could, but it would be an extra charge. The question is, what kind of price do I charge to clean it?

Douglas Hicks

What kind of fan is it? updraft, downdraft, squirrel cage? Do you have the tools needed? a bearing puller, a level, an amp tester that clamps on to the wiring? Are any lisences required in your jurisiction? Do you have any idea what kind of problems you are letting yourself in for?

I would not attempt to take most fans apart. Clean the nasty thing with a scraper and with your pressure washer as best as you can. I've got fans that I 've cleaned for several years, and still are not up to my standard. If this fan was not cleaned properly before, you may never get it to bare metal. Make sure the fan is not noisy and not out of balance.

If you really want to take it apart, go for T & M.

Douglas Hicks
GENERAL FIRE EQUIPMENT CO OF EASTERN OREGON, INC

R

RJT

Douglas, would like to pass along something that worked for us on a couple of upblast fan impellers that were apparently impossible. I hope you will give it a try and post the result. At one Mex 2 of the 4 fan impellers were so caked we couldn't budge it with chemical, dwell time, and 4gpm 3000psi 248 degrees. We tried scrapers and even a large screwdriver and hammer, all to no avail. Both still encrusted in about 1/3 inch. Finally we gave up in frustration and simply saturated with hot S/H with surfactant and buttoned it up. Never before or since have I been completely defeated like this. I dreaded the next servicing 3 months later, but when I tipped the fans I nearly fell off the roof. Both were competely, totally bare-metal clean! I didn't even need to touch them. Ever heard of such a thing?
Richard

R

RJT

Anyone else ever had an experience with 'impossible' fans as mentioned in the previous post?
Richard

R

RJT

The chemical Sodium Hydroxide at approx 12 percent mix in very hot water - approx 155 degrees. Dangerous to mix and handle if you don't know what you are doing.
Richard

Max_rob

RJT,
Is this how you takle all jobs now? I am assuming that all that grease just ran down the shaft and you cleaned it out from the bottom (or hood vent). Is this correct or what's the deal?

Our Sponsors