I need Help with Hoods quick!!!!!!!

Burtco

Hi Everybody! Today I was thrust into a situation that I was totally unprepared for and now I am in urgent need of some help from the members of this BB. I just started my power washing business about a month ago I also do gutters and windows. I made a proposal to the company that I formerly worked for to do the outside power washing services, gutter maintenance, and windows. This brand has 22 units in my area and they agreed to have me do all of the gutters service and some windows, which is great. Here is my dilemma, they also want to give me all of the Power washing business as long as I can take the hood systems as well. They want a full wash of hoods, parking spaces, walkways, drive-thru's and dumpster pads twice per year. I have no idea how to clean a hood or what to charge. They really want me to take this on because they know me and know I am reliable and honest and they want to reduce the number of service vendors that they currently have to deal with. I have a meeting tomorrow to begin discussions with the area managers for getting the particulars of this service contract hammered out. I told them that I would not have conclusive information about the hoods tomorrow but I would be able to get back to them soon.

I have gone through the Hood cleaning archives of this BB and I have visited the site of Phil Ackland but I need a lot more information I think. The Regional Manager that I spoke with said, "You should be able to handle it the unit managers used to do it themselves with a garden hose and hot water", that tells me that they are probably going to be of little to know help.

I have a cold water unit and I now this is not going to work for this job so I am going to have to purchase a hot water unit. I do not have a surface cleaner either and I know I need to purchase one of them soon as well.

Here are my specific Questions:

1. Where is the fastest place gather the information that I need? I prefer hands-on or video I am a very visual learner.

2. Is this something that a one person operation can handle?

3. What is a good Hot water unit to consider purchasing and where would I get it?

4. What Chemicals are being used most effectively to get the hoods clean?

5. Is there anyone within driving distance of Atlanta that would be willing to spend a little time doing some hands on training?

6. How much should I charge them for this service? They want a single price including the hoods, the parking spaces, walkways, drive-thru's and dumpster pads. They have on average 10 parking spots, and 1250 sf of building space.

7. How long should it take to clean the average hood? (if there is such a thing)

Sorry for the long posting but I am trying to be a specific as possible and give all of the information that I can think of. Thank you to all of you for always being willing to help!
:D

jschessler

hoods

John, my advised is you have to learn how clean other things before you jump into hood cleaning. This type of cleaning is an art learned only by watching someone teach you. You will not learned it to well by watching a video only, because everyhood is different. Delco has a video out, saw it for the first time the other day,... my opinion is that they picked the best case senario just to show the basics. Chemicals mixtures, equipment and setting up are very important for hood cleaning and you lack them right now. Stick to powerwashing and avoid hoods for now. Invest in Hot and Cold machine when possible.

David Saulque

<b>PWN TEAM - Hood Moderator</b><br<b><font color=
I agree- DO NOT TRY TO CLEAN THE HOOD WITH COLD WATER! You will create a nightmare. Call a hood cleaner and sub the job to him and make a few bucks and bill for everything in one package.

David

Flue Steam

David just gave you the perfect answer! You don't have to worry about buying new equipment, upgrading you insurance and trying to tackle a job that requires a good amount of training. If you went in without knowing what you are doing you risk losing all the work from this prospective customer. Find a local hood cleaner that has the references and a good reputation and make him a deal. Make it good for both of you and let it expand from there.

Burtco

I agree with you David cold water would create a nightmare with all of that grease!! - it is my full intention to buy a hot water unit before attempting to tackle this job I am just trying to gather the information that I need to get started or to decide that I don't want to get started. This company has 22 local units and 65 units within a reasonable travel area that are mine for the taking if I want to get into the servicing hoods. They have the hoods cleaned twice per year for this concept. Also the company owns another concept that has another 70 units that are cleaned twice per year. The person they are currently using is, in their words, "fading away". He is missing appointments and not returning calls on a consistent basis. This is definitely an opportunity that warrants expanding my horizons.

Burtco

Justin, thanks for the words of encouragement. I know that I am taking on a lot for being in this particular business for such a short time but as you said opportunity knocks only once and it does not wait for an answer. I have been in business for myself a total 7 years and to answer your question, I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I would love to take advantage of your generous offer but unfortunately it is not financially possible at this time. I am going to depend on them to give me a ball park figure of what they were previously paying for these services and see if I think I can make a profit doing it for that amount.

johnny

Mr. Burtco,

Something doesn't sound kosher, here. It seems that your potential customer is being serviced by another contractor, who seems to be fading away. I always get leery when I hear that from possible customers. That other guy must not be making enough from your guy and they won't pay an increase in price. All kinds of scenarios come up. Ballpark price to start cleaning hoods (per another website that sells equipment in Texas) is $10 - 20 dollars per running foot of hood, $40 to 60 dollars per roof top fan. Since you have so many, (sounds like Taco Bells) use bottom price, - hoods are usually 8 ft (X $10.00) plus $40 per rooftop fan or $120.00 system or use T&M $75.00 times 4 (you'll probably take 4 hours till you get it right) or $300.00 per cleaning. (you'll still make money at $150.00 per system.) Good luck and watch the low slung hi-power wires, also try not to fall off the roof.

jschessler

john

Say John, I know opportunity knocks only once so here is my advice to you. You want to see first what you are getting into so either take 2 to 3 days off fly here and i will show you on some systems what this animal is. I know david will show you too and since you are not in our areas i dont see a problem with it. By the way hi mr flue steam.

aquapro

Still learning myself, but I am willing to help too!

I agree with most of the guys, be very cautious because you may lose all the services. It is a difficult task, but not impossible. I am willing to help you anyway I can, either by phone or email. I have only been in the hood business for a couple years, but I can help spread some light on the situation.

Work: 217-224-9274
Cell: 217-242-5469
www.aquaprocleaning.com
info@aquaprocleaning.com

Burtco

Thanks for the generous offer John. That is why I love this board and I am proud to ba a part of it. Everyone is so willing to help you if they can and honest enough to tell you when you are diving head first into an empty swimming pool. I took the advice of the majority and talked to the Area managers honestly. They agreed to give me all of the external power washing, window cleaning and gutter cleaning / repair work. They are going to have the hoods cleaned by the company that is currently doing all of their fire safety system inspection and repair work. Thank you to all of you for your timely responses and honest input. I eagerly await the day that I can be more of a contributor than a recipient of information. Thanks again to all of you.

Sunny1

Hi John,

Since you are in Lawrenceville, and we are in Lawrenceville, stop by some time and I can give you info to find all the help you need. Power Washers of North America, which we are a member of, has certification classes for hood cleaners and I can get you in touch with the right people there. Also can help with the right products for great, local prices. I'm sure I can find you some local guys to visit and show you the ropes. Call me at 770 277-6363 x25 for all your local pressure wash needs. "Have a Sun Brite Day!" - Tracy Handl

Max_rob

Just a question

I have a question and don't get in an uproar? Meaning take no offense to this. Justin, how did you become a senior member, when you joined this thing in October of last year? I notice that other people that have joined at the same time are still new member, but you are a senior member? I am wondering if there is some sort of qualification process or something like that. Like I said take no offense to this it's just a question.

Our Sponsors