Pricing heavy equipment

john orr

Ok, I did a search and can't find an answer.

I was approached today about cleaning heavy equipment for paint prep. Basically, they need the gunk/grease off, then they sandblast and paint. It sounds like there may be several needing to be done now and more down the road.

Since this is my first time, I realise I can't charge by the hour and be competitive, but where do I start? Would it be reasonable to charge $50 - 75 for a backhoe? What about bigger stuff? My rig is 4 gpm/4000 psi with heat. It also has a 200 gal tank, though I'm pretty sure they have water on-site.

I normally use an 8.0 40 deg tip. Sound OK? Downstream degreaser? Since they are going to be painted, what about a turbo nozzle to remove flaking paint?

I am going to suggest a "test run" for say, $50 on one machine to see how we both like it; and use that info to determine future pricing.

John

melsmobile

John,

try to make $75 per hr heavy equipment takes a lot more heat and chemicals ,if its going to be painted use the turbo , just dont use it on the radeator ,

price can vary greatley , because most equipment dont get cleaned on a regular base, and they grease them just about everyday.

Here is a Texas post hole digger i cleaned last week , i charged $30 to haul water 500gallons plus 2hr min. , you have to get on top and get down inside to clean them right .

Mel

Attachments

• untitled5.jpg
    untitled5.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 151

ron

paint prep for heavy equipment can be twice as time consuming as a reg wash. It will be the most dirty you will ever get.
buy some tyvec suits and full face masks.
Call Steve rowlett and ask about "wild dog"
a turbo is good to use. Your chem will make the diffrence between making money,or not. hd80 might not work too bad either. You will be chaseing grease up and down. After you do one you will see what i mean.
if they block the products names here just e-mail me. I dont know how to help you without telling you what chem to use.
rottie72@aol.com
p.s. soda blasting is another good idea.
Jon has one for sale.

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
The price you stated on the backhoe is about right,on the biggger stuff get your price the same way you did on the backhoe.
If it was me I'd use a smaller tip size 5,6 and a 15 or 25 degree,remember your trying to blown grease off,it's not as easy as washing other stuff off.For paint prep. You can spray most any type degreaser,you can apply it fairly strong b/c your not having to worry about steaking the paint plus it will speed up the job.I can do a paint prep. faster when a reg. degeasing job.If alot of build up in grease blow most of it off with hotwater before appling the degreaser.Degreasers for vent hoods is good for paint prep.,it will strip alot of the paint off.

Our Sponsors