cheap way for range

Marv

I put a 0040 tip on a 6' wand and I can hit tip of gables from ground, and it has virtually no over spray. Great rinse on gutters too. I use my x-jet alot, but at times I just need to hit a spot, or avoid broad spray pattern. Only draw back is I have to up stream chems with this wand det up. I plan to rig dawn stream injector soon.

I wanted to get this forum active again too.

oneness

What psi/gpm are you running? Someone, I beleive it was Scott Stone, told me the other day that putting a smaller tip than required on a machine will end up damaging the pump, though it will raise the psi at the end of the wand.

Marv

The 0 degree 40 is way oversized. Lowers the psi, thus enables me to draw chems. I think the lower psi helps keep the overspray down, simular to running water thru a garden hose with no nozzle, slow flow and no spray.

THe info you gave is correct. I will never use a tip sized for lower than 4 gpm. I am using less than that on houses and wood.

ron

marv you say in your first post that you "have to upstream". Then you post it lowers the PSI so you can "draw chems"
When you upstream their is no need to lower the psi,the pump will draw in the chem at any psi.

Marv

ron, maybe that is true on your rig. Higher psi on mine goes by and I need to lower psi to draw from upstream canisters.

I was only trying to offer a tip that has saved me time, and get this forum active.

ron

Marv i am not trying to be argumentive im trying to he helpfull and understand.
Upstreaming means to intoduce chem BEFORE THE PUMP.
That means that the chem is drawn in with the supply water.
You can have a pump that put's out 50,000 psi and if it's upstream it's going to draw in chem.
Bigboy has tought me a trick or two.
He has a valve system where he can open the upstream chem all the way and slightly close the water supply valve so the pump will draw more chem.
Because the pump draws at low pressure or is fed at low pressure it draws chem no matter what it put's out.
Im sure im right.
Your pump is a positive displacement pump.
It draws in x amount of water and pumps out the same amount of x water. So no matter what the draw rate is going to be the same, no matter what tip you put on your unit[as long as it's the proper gpm size] you should get the same draw.
lowering pressure AFTER the pump should have nothing to do with the draw BEFORE the pump. One has nothing to do with the other.[unless you starve the pump.]
Help me to understand what your saying.
If you could'nt draw chem under full pressure WHY the heck would you even want upstream injection? You would just use downstream and not put chems through the pump and coil.
Marv are you sure you know what is ment by UPSTREAMING?
Most wash units dont come with upstreamers you need to ask to have them installed or install one yourself.
Mfg. dont want a new guy putting acid in a upstreamer and destroying the pump and coil. So they dont put them on most wash units. Do you have a metering valve right on the control panel of your PW?

Clean County

Its sounds like Marv is crossing up Upstreaming with down streaming. Down streaming is after the pump where low Psi helps to draw chemicals where upstreaming is before the pump and can be drawn at any psi.....and can also shorten the life of the pump or at least damage the seals where they will have to be replaced.

Dan S

Ron<
maybe what his problem is IF you have a leak <loose clamp> <loose fitting> then sometimes you cant draw up-stream ..sometimes it works if you use a lower pressure ..Or so it seems . but really it's not getting enough soap by using low pressure just enough to make bubbles and color.

I dunno it's a thought I guess!

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Don't mine them Marv,I can see what your saying,it will draw more of the chemical even when upstreaming.

I have several 0 tips but I have never seen a 40,like to have one of those myself.However I do have some small hosebarbs rigged as nozzels that I think would be a 40,also I like the way they flush the things off,don't you........

Last edited:

Marv

Bigboy, I do like the flushing. It has a concentrated flow, and get cracks real well. It has a opening slightly smaller than a bee bee.

I know what upstreaming is. I know I read manufacturers instructions, and I know I have not been exposed to all washers on the market. I will look into the valve adjustment, but I like applying chems at lower psi. at least on homes and wood. I purchased mine with 32 oz canninsters mounted, and an adjustable wand. I am strictly cash purchases and wanted to cut cost attachements initially. To pre-answer a question, I have progressed and purchase additional nozzles, wands, chem application, sprayers ... as I earn.

Again, the intend was to offer a "tip" that has helped me, particularly on gutters and gables.

Last edited:

Marv

I think I found where the draw ratio may be adjusted. I would like to be able to draw stonger than 20:1 sometimes without rigging up the x-jet. And it does draw into the pump. I wish it was downstream. But I have been using Allbrite for most all the non wood cleaning with great results, and I don;t see how it is damaging the pump. I would like to use it at a 2 or 4:1 at times, so maybe this adjustment will work.

[smoker]
I am SUPPOSED to quit at the end of this week:smad:

Our Sponsors