Max Rob

johnny

Max,

I asked this question in the McD thread last week re: your collection method:

I have seen a similar method like you show and describe. Is this method what you use exclusively on McD's or everywhere? If you don't use any plastic and attach the shoe to the extinguisher piping, how do you properly clean the grease trough and the plenum areas, without getting watery grease all over the floor?

Last edited:

Max_rob

Sorry it took a little while, didn't notice the post. Ok, when I get done with the fan and shaft, I wash the grease trough and plenum by hand. Like has been said so many times before, let the soap do the work. Many many times, it's a matter of soaping it down and then wipe it off. I do use a caustic bead soap, and it works great. The problem that you may run into is with the soap, it can be nasty if your not careful with it. Remember saftey is first.

I have several different shoes for different resturants. And I do cover grills, and fryers with plastic when I can't move them out of the way. I never want to get water in the oil. One other thing that helps out a lot is having a real good shop vac.

One tip I can give is try leaving the baffles in when you wash the top, it really helps contain any water. Before I came up with my barrel system, I would leave the baffles in while i do the shaft. The water runs down the grease trough and into a barral.

This system works on most of my jobs, but not all.

johnny

It seems to me that you've made more work for yourself. In our years of hood cleaning we wrap the hoods securely and more often than not we don't need to use the vacuum, which is kept nearby. We clean the entire inside of the hood, plenum with filters removed and grease troughs at the same time using the PWer and a lower pressure nozzle after spraying degreaser over the entire area 2X. Our method: cover equipment, remove filters, wrap hood, clean fan and ducts then move down and clean entire hood, remove plastic, discard and final touch up. Plastic is your friend and it's cheap, too. We hardly ever spill a drop of greasy water on the floor or behind the equipment, it all goes into the 40 gallon trash bucket on wheels and then down the sanitary sewer after being neutralized (per litmus).

Last edited:

Max_rob

If your using the power washer inside, how are you getting inside your big funnel to do the cleaning? Without getting the crap all over the floor?

johnny

The objective is to get no water on the floor. If you are talking McD's we run the plastic into rectangular plastic buckets with drain hoses running to floor drain. We wrap the hood and tape it plus use wood laths with spring clamps. Occasionally, greasy water hits the floor, we immediately vacuum it up.

mtngoat

Mc Donalds ,Part of the job consists of cleaning up the equipment adjacent to the clam shells fryers and griddles wich means you will get water on the floor! The Mc Donalds we clean- They let everything build up on and around the equipment because they know we will be coming to clean it up. The shop Vac is a must! Turn off all electric receptacles that you can locate in the breaker panel and put tape or plastic over those outlets. Vacum the out lets out before you plug anything in or turn anything on or you will get a surprise Bzzzzzzzzzzt! Yeow! lol mtngoat

Our Sponsors