Brrrrr - To wash or not to wash

Bridget

Hello everyone!!

I just wanted to share a couple winter weather washing stories.

Two weeks a go we received a call from a prospective customer, asking us what our winter weather washing policy was. Apparently, his washer washed when it was just too cold. The equipment froze, the washer in an effort to fix the problem, apparently made it worse. The customer now has to replace the seals on his fleet. Ouuuuch.

Last weekend we had 1 warm day, well, warm enough to wash that is, so we went out and washed as much as we could while we had the chance. Many of our customers were thankful, except one.

The temps dropped pretty bad over night in this particular area and all the doors froze and the condensation from the icing caused the electrical starters to fail. Geez!!!

The customer was very understanding. He knows that we pay particular attention to the weather, our forecast did not lead us to think the temps were going to fall so quick and so drastically.

It's been a pretty tough winter out there for many of us.

Keep Warm :D
Bridget & Gordon

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
[GLOW=darkblue]Welcome Back Long time no see![/GLOW]

Glad to see you back at PWN.

:)

Dan S

Hello Bridget .. glad to see another Female face around ....

I have never had a problem with anything freezing (thank God).
Of course I have missed about 6 -7weeks this winter ... whatta bummer ... this has been the worse winter for us since we have been in this business .. I washed all day today it was 50 .. I manage to get 50 trailers and 110 garage doors done ... Temp. is going to drop tonight to 20 and a 30 % of snow.. I have about 30 trks. to do and 20 fork lifts ........... I hope I can get them in

it dont look to good ......

most of the trks we do is air start ... I guess that may make a huge difference ..

dont be a stranger I enjoy reading your words of wisdom ..

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Hi Bridget,we had a Saturaday like that,the weather was fine up until around noon.A high speed cold front came out of nowhere,burrrrrr wasn't even the word for it :).I've been lucky too,been washing in the high 20's and haven't frozen nothing YET.The weather has gotten warmer here the last 6 or 7 days and I've been trying to catch up,cann't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet and its fishing time.

Bridget

Thanks for the warm welcome backs :)

Here's an idea that I've been thinking of. Since our customers have not spent as much money this winter in washing, and in some companies the budget rules are..."Use it or Lose it" why not promote a clean spring campaign.

Entice customers to increase their washing frequency for the Spring season. If a customer is on a every other week schedule, ask them to go to a weekly wash during the rainy Spring season.

Just a thought.

Dan S

Bridget ,
I have one company that has 50 trks. I dont do them every week end I do 25 a week .. so when I wash the first 25 then the next 25 gets washed next week .... all trks gets washed 2 times a month .. I would love to get all of them every month but they think maybe they are saving money by doing it this way ..

I even said HEY .. I will wash them every week end and drop 2.00 per trk......... I would still make out come the end of the month.

You are on to something .. what kind of plan do you think would work to get them to BITE!! ........

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
There is no way I can wash everything every week.I have some weeklys and have a ton of every two weeks,a few monthlys and the walk ups.I cann't get caught up and its getting boring washing washing and washing,the fish are biting and I know it.
Like today,the first job was only going to take me around 3 hours,I've been there alday they kept adding this and that....washing washing and washing...SPRING CLEANING huh.

Bridget

Dan,

I've created a little flyer on my Print Master program with some funny looking smiling flowers and a smiling sun. The body of the flyer thanks them for their patience and understanding during this harsh winter season.

I mention that Spring is on the way and then a little note that they can take advantage of any extra $$ in thier wash budget by adding a couple extra washes this spring. I'll let you know how it works.

Our customers are used to my comic style - They have received faxes with funny caricatures about the winter weather.

For example - one has a guy standing at his living room window with snow falling out side and ice hanging from treee branches he is standing there crying with tears flying and a klennex in his hand.

We would fax our customers cute messages like that throughout the winter when we were unable to wash. In fact one customer commented to my brother..."I like your sister's funny faxes"

Keep'em smiling :)

Big Boy,

You're right it would be difficult having our customer all increase their washing schedule, however, this would just be for a few extra washes and not everyone would take us up on it. Like my father said....Some companies give bonuses to employees who come under budget.

Bridget

Dan S

sounds great Bridget ..

sounds like you have a great relationship with your contracts..

I think thats the way to keep them is to be personal ! and to also be good at what you do.

You go girl ..... you go !!!

Our Sponsors