Price for FedEx Trucks??

edmontonWashe

I'm wondering if anybody with experience can give me an estimate of what I should charge for some FedEx Trucks.

First of all I am in canada, so if you give me some numbers plays say if they are US or not. The guy isn't happy with the person who's doing it now, and he has approx. 55 trucks...the typical FedEx trucks I guess (they look like a mail truck...I'm sure you all know what I mean)

I want to know what I should quote him to possibly beat the other guy but still get a good profit.

Thanks

edmontonWashe

Here's an update with some more information...

First of all, they have a proper drainage system so I don't have to worry about the runoff. The majority of their trucks are Econoline 3/4 ton vans, then they have some "bread vans" as he called them (very square, larger type vans or trucks), he's got two 5 tons, and a few mercedes benz sprinters.

I'm not sure if I should quote him on each type of vehicle, or just give a number for the whole fleet. Some guidance would be great. thanks

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
I could quote each type of vehicle b/c of the number of each.Or if they washed the same number of vehicles each time a bid on the hold fleet would be OK.Usually you will not wash the same amount of vehicles each time you wash,one may be in the shop another may be on a long haul.Why not give them two bids and let them choose.......

If they aren't pleased with who ever why beat his price,sale yourseft in qkly work at a little higher price or the same price.The low bid may be the season the company cann't give a qkly wash.You can go to Delco's old board and look at the price list on most things,its fairly close,depends on your area.

Last edited:

edmontonWashe

thanks for the advice,

I went and saw their facilities, all indoors, year round.

They want their trucks washed twice a week, and he says the guy now is doing it for $4.00 CANADIAN (per truck). and it's 55 trucks. Apparently this manager used to do it himself all in one evening,

Does 55 trucks in 4 or 5 hours seem possible (some vans, and two half tons) ??? that seems impossible. however if it is possible, then $4.00 a truck would still be great profit....
any advice??

Larry L.

Depends if your a one man team or have a helper,a one man tean would be huffing and puffing to do 10 an hour but I think he can do it.Four hours or 240 minutes,5 hours or 300 minutes,how many trucks do you think you can do a hour.In the USA I think a fallower could make a living doing it,do not know your cost of living there.You'll need speed in washing the 55 in 4 or 5 hours.
It doesn't matter if they wash them twice a week or everyday,you need to make more than 40 dallors a hour,,I think.

Gwas

Bigboy,
That is $4.00 Canadian- I think the converstion will be about $8.00 US. Not too bad. I wash Fed Ex vans and can easily do 10 an hour with a driver. Wait til' winter with mud and slush. Price them seasonally !!!! They won't think your crazy.

edmontonWashe

the conversion to US dollars would be...about $2.50 US, so that really doesn't seem anywhere near what you've been suggesting.

However if I can wash all the trucks in one evening, then it's still 220 Canadian (or approx $150 US) for 4 or 5 hours work....still not bad...

??

Dan S

My buddie does the fed-ex trks.. he makes about 8.00 per unit ... and everything is done inside...... Now he has to capture all H20

Still it's a nice lil contract ...........

ron

you should find

a woman here that does a lot of fed truck's. She know's a lot about them.
They once tried to sue her for damage to the belt system and garage door's. Now she wash's outside.
Sorry cant remember her name.

mtngoat

Charge them $8.53 per vechicle. 55 Times $8.53 = 469.15

You can still pocket 400 if you have to pay someone to help.
Does this sound reasonable? mtngoat

United

Yep - That's me. Bridget here :)

We do all the FedEx Express locations in Michigan and Toledo Ohio except 3 locations.

Note: There are several divisions of FedEx.
FedEx Express
FedEx Freight
FedEx Home Delivery
FedEx Ground
FedEx Custom Critical

We have the FedEx Express Contract. These are the vans, Bread trucks (which very in size- considerably - I might add) and the Mercedes vans.

Pretty much what has been posted is accurate, you might want to go back and research older posts. I will say we have the washing down to a science - we can wash 45 units in 2 hours. Keep in mind these trucks are washed 3 times a week and we use - Panel Bright - In our 15 years we haven't found a better product.

FedEx is an AWESOME customer - absolutely AWESOME !
True your profit margin will not be huge, but the year around work is priceless, the on-time payments and the management teams are wonderful to deal with.

If you want more particulars, give us a call 800-451-8684 Ask for either myself or my husband Gordon.

Good luck :)
Bridget & Gordon
United Mobile Power Wash, Inc.
"You have an image......We keep it clean"

Bridget

Hello,

In looking back at the previous posts, I would like to clarify the post referring to a legal suit.

Some time back Whiting Door (The cargo door manufacture) contacted us about the soap we were using. Apparently our FedEx division manager was making a warranty claim stating the new trucks cargo doors they purchased for one particular location were jamming. FedEx wanted the doors replaced.

Whiting wanted to point a finger at someone and they thought bullying us into thinking our soap was the culprit was a way out of them having to take hit in the corporate pocketbook for replacing the doors. When our FedEx division manager got wind of Whiting Doors tactics – he stepped in and told them to leave us alone or else. That’s one of the reasons why servicing FedEx is so great – They really treat their vendors well.

The other issue was the belt – For you FedEx’ers you know what I’m talking about. The conveyor belt runs the length of the building and its intended use of course, was to be used indoors. Now add truck-washing 3x a week, water and humidity over time affect the internal components, some of which are raw metal.

Over time there becomes maintenance issues as a result of these components rusting. In an effort to minimize this we tarp the conveyor while washing – it doesn’t eliminate the moisture that’s created, but we try to do what we can to help minimize the problem.

For the record……There was never any legal matter between United & FedEx.

Bridget & Gordon

Larry L.

I thought I had read in the other post your company wasn't at fault.

Looks like FedEx would water proof the belt and its parts,they already know what the problem is.Not counting keeping rust off their employee's and packages,over all cost in their mantaining it could more than likely pay for itself.

B

Bo diddly

fedex

If your in a region in Canada where the roads get muddy, plan on brushing them if you want to keep the account. Nothing like friction to keep fedex happy. Also, keep the rims looking good, be gentle on their decals, and you will keep them happy for a long time. Keep in mind that the contract that you sign with fedex means basically nothing. We have ben contracted for the past few years to wash their trucks 3 times per week for 6 months and 5 times per week the other 6 months. Now they want to wash only 1 time per week for 8 months and 2 times per week for 4 months. Consequently our bid increased by 50% (4.50 to 6.25) and we still service them.
Good luck bidding,
Bo

Gwas

Bridget,
Glad to see you are still doing Fed-Ex. I thought that they were giving some company the national account. good to see the people in MI "RULE" !!!

United

Thanks, We've always maintained the FedEx Express account - It was the FedEx Freight account that we lost to Fleet Wash.

Bridget & Gordon

edmontonWashe

Bridget I've been trying to get ahold of you to ask you a few questions about the fed ex trucks. I tried both 800-451-8684 and 616-676-1963 and both numbers aren't active. Is there another way to reach you?

thanks!

Our Sponsors