Postal Contract Bid Headache

bucket

I am having a problem w/a bid I put in some time ago. Anyone out there have experience w/the benign beauacracy known as the USPS?

Dan S

Bucket........ HOw did you go about getting a USPS contract ...... What steps did you do ...... are you doing the enviro.Wash?

bucket

I am in the process of taking over (buying) a p/w business from an aquaintance who is retiring / changing industries. While securing his next endeavor, he has been gracious enough to show me the ropes - since my pre-fatherhood career was far removed from this industry ... anyway, he has had a fair amount of W. Oregon's USPS contracts for over a decade, and while they tend to be less cost-effective as many accounts, their stability and continuity between postal locations provides a solid foundation for a rookie like myself. I also see them as a parachute during lean economies and an excellent avenue for training employees in the future. Okay, sorry for losing focus...
Last Fall we were invited to bid on a large account that included a good slice of the greater Portland (OR) area, which would have secured pretty much every postal facility of notable size in western Oregon - adding a nice feather in the cap for marketing, and greatly improving our bottom line. We recieved the bid application less than five work days prior to the deadline, which I view as odd at best. We took it in stride, and continued with the process. My partner has had a relationship with USPS for nearly 15 yrs., so the process was involved but not foreign. We dotted our I's, crossed the T's, and jumped through each bureaucratic hoop we could necessary.
The deadline passed, as did many months, without notice. We have called PA., where the decision is being made, regularly; most times without reply. The times we did contact the person in charge of this decision, she was cordial, and familiar with this bid, but as per postal regulations, not at liberty to release ANY info. other than "the lawyers are ironing out technicalities with the contract...", and we will be notified. A rumor ran into us that the bid was awarded to someone else, and she became quite unsettled, denied that it had been awarded, and said she would "find out" how such info. was leaked.
We know the bid has not been awarded, since we know some of the Postmasters who are not getting their vehicles cleaned. Several of what were our accounts lie under the umbrella of said bid, so we have a relationship with them.
I am SO bad at keeping things short, and I apologize. I greatly appreciate any and all help you may provide, and want all pertinent info. to be laid out.

NOW, what I DO know, is that the USPS is extremely strict and consice when it comes to contracts, bidding, and all other legal matters. I know that they have MANY regulations to follow when accepting bids, and my nose for bad politics and other sub-scrupulous behaviors is sniffing something that tells me not to count on anything, but we're not yet out of the hunt ...

There is a Bid Appeal Board that I can write to, but I we can't appeal something that is currently not awarded. The angle I've been looking at is to somehow go above the head of who is clogging up the machine, and point out some regulations that were ignored. I can accept losing a bid, but this is just plain comical anymore. There are so many goofy rules to submitting a USPS bid (like not removing any staples, what colors of pen to use, etc.), yet when it comes to remaining within the boundaries of doing fair, respectable business, only the government can bring it to this level. None of the contractors in competition for a bid are allowed to share info. of ANY kind with each other OR Postal employees, and my feeling is that somewhere downtown there is a friend of someone who is wanting this bid, and we outbid them; ot only in numbers, but with our track record with USPS.

Now that I've taken up this much of your time, I'll say thank you in advance, for any help provided. I appreciate your time and respect your opinion ... all of you. I've many more questions, many banal in nature, but I'm not shy and can't be embarrassed ... and believe that we all have dues in life to pay, so that's what I'm doin'. I love this business so far, and have the thick skin to succeed.

p.s.
Scott, I lived in AZ. for 12 years prior to moving back to the PNW. lived in Mesa for some years. Have any stories, I do.

Take Care,

Sunny, aka "bucket"

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Sunny,

I would wait until you know the contract is awarded before stirring up the pot. About 10 years ago I filed a protest on a county bid, because they were awarding the bid to a bidder providing like equipment and service but was charging $25-K more than me.

They (the purchasing department wer really ticked at me for this)
subsequently they changed bid specifications so only this bidder could meet all specifications and sent it out for re-bid, This time there was only one bidder, since then I have never received a request for quotation from this agency.

Good Luck

Coastal Eddie

Sunny

I was on that bid list for a few years until I bluntly told them to remove me. I also gave them my reasons for wanting off.

When I was on that list they would tell you after the bidding was over what the winning bid was, and also where you finished. In alot of cases the winning bid was $1 per vehicle (Jeeps), $5 for Bobtails. As I recall, the job included doing windows inside/out, and cleaning inside the vehicle i.e. vacuuming.

They must have a Fleet Maintenance Manager around there who's probably getting sick of seeing dirty vehicles. Maybe your friend should ask him what's up?

If after all is said and done you do lose the contract, you should try to findout what the winning bid was and if you think you were jobbed, appeal it.

bucket

USPS (U.S.pain-inmy-side)

Originally posted by Mark
Sunny,

I would wait until you know the contract is awarded before stirring up the pot. About 10 years ago I filed a protest on a county bid, because they were awarding the bid to a bidder providing like equipment and service but was charging $25-K more than me.

They (the purchasing department wer really ticked at me for this)
subsequently they changed bid specifications so only this bidder could meet all specifications and sent it out for re-bid, This time there was only one bidder, since then I have never received a request for quotation from this agency.

Good Luck

Mark,
I couldn't agree with you more, that's my biggest concern - rockin' the boat before it's even left the dock. Especially with a place like USPS, I imagine that they play a game that is worse than most when it comes to industry politics.
We've been trying to get answers from our friendlies, but it's hush-hush from the top down; but, history proves that every org. has a blabbermouth, we just haven't found her yet.
It's just been SO long, and it's wearing me down. I've already written off the account, it's not the $$$ - I just loathe being played like this, with these pathetic, government-issue, silly games. No, I'm not gonna' go "postal" :cool:
Thanks for the tip, I'll heed your advice. I'll concentrate on another area, and it'll pop out of nowhere - I believe that often times, the harder you try - the harder it gets.

Thanks again

Sunny

bucket

Re: Sunny

Originally posted by Coastal Eddie
I was on that bid list for a few years until I bluntly told them to remove me. I also gave them my reasons for wanting off.

When I was on that list they would tell you after the bidding was over what the winning bid was, and also where you finished. In alot of cases the winning bid was $1 per vehicle (Jeeps), $5 for Bobtails. As I recall, the job included doing windows inside/out, and cleaning inside the vehicle i.e. vacuuming.

They must have a Fleet Maintenance Manager around there who's probably getting sick of seeing dirty vehicles. Maybe your friend should ask him what's up?

If after all is said and done you do lose the contract, you should try to findout what the winning bid was and if you think you were jobbed, appeal it.

Coastal Ed-

Yea, we have a solid rapport with most all of the postmasters, fleet maint. mgrs., and supervisors, and they seem to be on our side (I say SEEM), problem is, the decision is coming from Philly, PA; to me made by this woman who has no idea what a ... well, anyway, you see my frustration? You're right about the cost-effective (or lack thereof) aspect of the postal service. We get more than $1-$5 for most any vehicle, I think the lowest we have is a station or two that pay us $5 or so, because of the volume they have. I'm positive we get no less than $4 from any of them. Most of them are labor intensive though, not to mention that we have literally hundreds of mail carriers and their various stages of discontent to consider.
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to use it, and play it cool for awhile longer - while discreetly sniffin' around for any answers or tidbits of info.
Which coast are you hailing from? I'm from the left one.

Thanks again!
Sunny ("bucket")

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
who has no idea what a ... well, anyway

Could be the other bidder is putting something in her back pocket,this happens sometimes.

good luck

WasherMan

Originally posted by Larry L.

Could be the other bidder is putting something in her back pocket,this happens sometimes.

good luck
[/B]

I seriously doubt, having been involved on all levels of governmental contracts, that "someone" is getting a kickback on a piss ant contract like this. I have had contracts held up for 18 months for various reasons before we were awarded. When it is awarded, follow the procedures for FOIA and get all the pertinent info, if you are concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:

bucket

Hey everyone, a high-roller!

Originally posted by WasherMan
I seriously doubt, having been involved on all levels of governmental contracts, that "someone" is getting a kickback on a piss ant contract like this. I have had contracts held up for 18 months for various reasons before we were awarded. When it is awarded, follow the procedures for FOIA and get all the pertinent info, if you are concerned.

I understand that I'm new, but if you can't see someone coughin' up a couple Franklins, or a grand even, to secure a gig worth 200-large ... I've MUCH to learn from you, Mr. Big Time. Oh, and scrubbin' every cell on your floor while doin' 4-to-7 for armed sodomy does NOT count as a government contract, you "all levels of government contracts" old-school, veteran grump ass.

Thanks for the tip, i'll look into it - appreciate your time.

WasherMan

By the way, *********, if you think some government employee, with a guarnateed job for life, a pension and all the perks is going to risk that for 1k, then you really should get your head out of your ******Have a nice day being unemployed...because that's how I see your future...or what there is of it!

No-reason for the name calling !

bucket

Hey there, take it easy Big Spender-I said thanks for the tip, and I meant it. I didn't realize you're so sensitive. You hand it out-and then cry foul when you get a little back? I'd take being unemployed ANY time, if you are an example of success. Now go take your Zoloft, and sleep well, Princess.
Like dissagreeing w/your ******** is gonna' hurt MY career.

Our Sponsors