Lookin' Fer More Dirty Trucks!

bucket

Any veteran tactics for roundin' up some fleets accounts?
Have quite a few postal contracts now, but need to grow!

I'm a rookie, but I'm good - when I'm not, I still work harder than is healthy. Not lookin' for shortcuts, just effective methods.

Thanks all,

cya'

Dan S

The true best way is HIT THE STREET.....

How did you get your postal job?

Do the same thing you did to land all the USPS

Every company is different , Some have more money then others .
You just have to start going to see the owner/manager.
Dont sell your self short. Dont promise anything that you cant back-up...... And never EVER tell them that you can wash better then anybody .Let your work speak for it self.

And dont get too big that you cant handel it>>> Meaning.........>
dont let one company suffer b/c you are so busy that you just do a half butt job so you can move on to the next one... K.I.S.S

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

PS; kiss is a saying Im sure you all have heard ..........I dont mean to say that any body is stupid ................

bucket

Thanks Dan! I know that's what I've got to do, and I have been. Funny thing is, I didn't land the USPS accounts, my partner (buying him out, many more questions to follow!) did. For that matter, I haven't landed an account yet. Been busy learnin' how to wash stuff, and keep dirty stuff off our clean stuff, and how not to spend so much time cleaning one thing that you can't get to the other thing - ya' know, the basics.
I have been, and intend to do more of exactly what you suggested. I'm a believer in the "pick your battles carefully" theory, so I probably do too much planning rather than doing. I just don't want to burn up ANY good leads with my inexperience. I know, there's no other way to get experience. Know what I mean, though?
You affirmed a basic mindset of mine when you mentioned keeping my business within control. That is a huge concern of mine, and why I haven't got my ad in the Yellow Pages yet ... I'm chompin' at the bit, but if I'm not prepared to be swamped I'd rather be poor than broke - which is what I'll be if my very first reputation in town is bad.

So when someone tells me they've already got someone, or their employees are washing (heard alot already), and obviously doing a poor job - just reiterate my strong points, give them a card, and be on my way?

Thanks again!

Dan S

I feel your pain buck....

next time you talk to an owner/manager offer them one FREE trk wash and do your best . do what you would do if you had the account for years......make 'em happy

bucket

That's a positive approach, and I try that angle when I'm feelin' some doubt from a potential customer, or just loosing ground - but what about when I'm negotiating a fleet, even 6 mabey 10 vehicles? Washing one is nothing but a demo. (which I LOVE, works great), washing them all is just bad business.
I see your point, and appreciate your input. This sounds corny, but your "make 'em happy" comment is my lifeblood. Knockin' the socks off of a hard working, no b.s. old-school industry veteran is why I'm doing this. That's a problem of mine, always goin' fer the fence. The deal is, you need base hits to pay the bills.
I'm going to try your suggestion today, thanks!!

Our Sponsors