My hard lesson!!!!!!!

Kevin

Guys I wanted to share what happened to me today and I'm sure you can relate. I went to go clean a relatives fast food restaraunt at 5 am with my new rig. I rigged up and put on a turbo nozzle and got after it. Well my trigger gun had a quick disconnect on it for swapping out lances ( I guess that's what you call them ). I turned on my burner and started cleaning when the quick disconnect started leaking after a couple of minutes. I disregarded it until hot water shot all over my arm at about 180 to 200 degrees farenheit. To make a long story short I now no longer have a quick disconnect at the trigger gun! It's all in the learning process!!!!!!!!!

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Kevin,

We all get burned at one time or another. But don't worry, easy solution to the problem. There is absolutly no reason you can't have a quick connect to switch guns.

Your machine is new, so this is probably the problem. Your O-ring was out of place. If not it was worn. The O-ring is down inside of the quick connect. If you get into a lighted area and look in there you will see what I;m talking about.

If it is just loose, push it back down on to the ledge it sits on. Or take it out, and if it is worn replace it. You can get a bag of them for a couple of bucks. The o-ring is basically a little seal or washer.

You need to use a little screw driver to get it into place and or get it out. You can also purchase a little pick to use if you want.

Have a great day. if you need more info about it just ask, and get your quick connect back on
smile.gif

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro www.powerwash.net
708 715-4205

[This message has been edited by Dan Flynn (edited February 24, 2000).]

Kevin

Hey Dan, I did notice that little bitty o-ring but I did not have a replacement on me at the time (do now though!). I noticed it was in pieces when I removed it. I had only used that gun for a little while before it happened. I drove to a pressure washing distributor and they were nice enough to give me a handful! There is'nt too many folks who GIVE anything away anymore, even time. Got a stip mall that's full of mildew tomorrow and it has many different types of surfaces to clean like stucco, cinder block, awnings, wood shingles on top of some windows (scared of them!) and metal gutters. I'll let you know if I blunder. Have a great day!

Dave West

Kevin,
Great to see your gettin' after it......see its not that hard if you use the ol' knoggin' and a bunch of elbow grease.
Ain't Nothin' to it but to DO IT !

Glad you figured out about the O-Rings, get a pick,they make changing the lil' buggers a cinch and keep a bag of 50 or so on hand .

There's no worse feeling than to have to roll up while on a job because of a lack of pre-planning because of one lil' piece of rubber you don't have on your rig.

C-Ya,
David ActionMobilewash@aol.com

Jon

Kevin said:
"There is'nt too many folks who GIVE anything away anymore, even time".

Kevin, your words above. Just what do you think all of us here are doing? Come on kid! (it is ok that I call him KID, you should see what he calls me in Email!) giving away advice and ideas to help others is what this is all about, or mostly.
A lot of friendship starts here too!

C

Craig/PowerWashUnlimited

Kevin,

When you run out of the freebie o-rings, go out and find some vicon o-rings. They last a lot longer and reduces downtime. They cost a lot more too, but it is well worth it.

Craig

------------------
Craig Knight
Power Wash Unlimited
www.powerwashunlimited.com

CleanImage

Hey Kevin - try a little plumber's grease on those rings too, helps them pop in and out real easy, you can get it almost anywere.
Duane

tucker

Hey Kevin,

Those picks are nice but
what do you do if you get to a job, need to chang an O-ring and left that doggone pick on the table in the shop? Solution: take one of those high-tech gismos called a paper clip, straighten it out and form a little curve at the bottom. Presto,you have a O-ring pick. I'm sure this is nothing that others haven't done.but I have done for so long with so little, I can do practically anything with nothing.

Hope you have a speedy recovery,

Tucker

Kevin

Hey guys thanks for the help and Craig one of those freebie o-rings lasted for 5 hrs today! I hope the rest last that long too. Oh, Jon, silly me about time! There are still some good ole folks in the world who give it!

Shane Clardy

Kevin
you will probably notice soon that the male fittings will become hard to un couple from your quick disconnects . The male part of your tips will get burred from being under pressure keep a file in your tool box or as a peventative measure File the rough edges on your male ends when your hanging around ( rainy days ).

------------------
Shane Clardy

Scott Stone

Hey Shane,
I have a better way. I take some Channel lock pliers, They are harder than the nipples, at least it seems so. I just close it on the nipple and ring it two or three times and it is done.

------------------
If man evolved from monkeys and apes, Why do we still have monkeys and apes

Just a guy driving around trying to make a living washing trucks, Wouldn't know a deck if it bit me in the hind quarters,

Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

C

Craig/PowerWashUnlimited

I like using a Dremmel tool. Rechargable, and you can put a little grinding tool on it and it takes seconds. Works great..

Craig

------------------
Craig Knight
Power Wash Unlimited
www.powerwashunlimited.com

G

Greg - GCR PowerClean

I am slowly converting my Quick Connects over to the Screw type Quick Connects... you know the European style?? Haven't had one leak yet and I am loving them!

------------------
Greg Rentschler
GCR PowerClean
www.gcrpowerclean.com

Lorin Grable

Viton rubber orings are more heat and chemical resistant and will last longer. I've been getting intot he habit of changing the orings in frequent connections at the beginning of the day - I don;t like to have to stop in the middle of the job and then change them with the parts HOT.

Plumbers grease is actually, silicone grease.
Don't bother spending the money for those little tiny grease tins at the home improvement store - go to a lubrication supply hosue and buy a caulking gun tube full of it - yes, it will cost you $20 but for as little as you use, it will last a lifetime.

I am considering switching over to the euro screw type becasue my help can't seem to get the QDs apart sometimes (WIMPS !)

And welcome to getting burnt ! Play with hot water - get burnt. Just try to avoid the injection injury.

Jaime

I found some o rings at the local Peterbilt supplier. They last forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are orange in color. They are for the transmissions, I think. Most of these guys have boxes of them laying around and they fit in wonderfully. May have to search thru boxes of extra parts to get them but it's worth it. I gave the guy five bucks for his trouble and walked away with about 1,000 of them. And we both where happy I got my o-rings and he got lunch.
smile.gif
Jaime

Douglas Hicks

And where do you find the Europeon connentors? I tried one source,*****(beat you to it,Dan) & they denied knowledge of them. I use the 3/8 inch size, which hold up better than the 1/4 inch size, but they still leak and run hot water down my leg, usually when I am on the roof.

tucker

Donald,
Call ****** out of Homersville, GA. They have the best prices I have found yet. They also have a good selection of pressure washing parts and accessories.
Tucker

[This message has been edited by tucker (edited February 28, 2000).]

Our Sponsors