bad luck or not! need some help!

M

mel

when I did a vent-a-hood yesterday the fire system was set off is this my falt ?

I had only clean the top and then went down to clean the hood , went to turn the vent on to draw steam out and the braker tripped !

Mel

Douglas Hicks

What a bummer Mel. A short answer is "Maybe" Give me a call , 541.377.1143 and I might be able to give some help to you. I am off to do a hood now, will in cell range for an hour, then out of range for 4 hours, then back in range. The time is 4:36 Pacific.
I will be available tommorrow also.

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

johnny

Mel,

The way to handle this is to notify the restaurant manager, clean up the mess; replace the oil $$, if it got trashed; notify their or your local fire control company and pay up like a man. It's possible that they had a damaged link or frayed wire that you pushed over the edge. Next time, you'll know what to look out for, call it a lesson from The Sharks (the school of hard knocks).

M

mel

Johnny,

if I'am at fault then i will pay up , but they wont $2,000 for down time , its a mom and pop place .

realy dont wont to use my insurance , i have a $500 deductable
then the cost of my insurance will probley double!

going to go take some pics of the vent.

I'll will let you know what i find out

thanks Mel

Michael T

Mel, Ive filed an insurance claim in the exact same senario. Restaurant owner wanted lost time and sales money. Insurance company said no way! Its hard to prove if the system was faulty or malfunctioned. In the NFPA code 96 2001 edition it says, this is a paraphrase, " We are not to mess with the fire supression system or disarm it. We are to gently wash around it." Get the idea? If it had a hair trigger and was was faulty install, sorry you were there. A lot of things to consider. Was the tag up to date? When was it inspected or serviced last? Hope it all works out. If Douglas cant help you and you want to call some one closer, we are in the same time zone, give me a call. 512-396-4511 office.

johnny

Mel,

I think they have you. The sad thing for you is - being a mom and pop they more than likely had a shoddy record with the fire suppression people. You obviously don't do hood cleaning regularly, based on your company name, but I got to tell you - even if you left the store un-powdered and they came in
the next morning and turned on the fan and got white-out, you would be on the hook, since you touched it last and they can prove it. If you want to get really paranoid, consider this: they knew what they were doing - you didn't.

David Saulque

<b>PWN TEAM - Hood Moderator</b><br<b><font color=
When working on these system one should know what they are doing and this is a good example of not knowing your limitations. This guy can't defend himself and he is at the mercy of the account-not a good place to be.

David

M

mel

THANKS , Michael T and Douglas H. for the help.

I paid for the recharge of the system it was $535 .

the company that recharged the system said mostlikley i was at fault. owell .

that all the VENT-A-HOODS i wont :)

Mel

Michael T

Mel, You're welcome, glad to help. Sorry I had to cut our conversation short, enjoyed talking to you. Call me again after 7 pm . Ive got lots of cell minutes after 7 pm. Would like to continue our conversation.

M

mel

I will Michael , I belive I'll be doing 6 jobs in your nech of the woods 3 in San Antonio , 1 in kerrville , 1 in New Braunfels 1 in Georgetown , and 1 in Temple , will thats 7 , but Iam going to hook you up with the reigonal manager and yall can talk about Vent-A-Hoods

call you next week and let you know something!

Mel

mtngoat

Fire system trouble

I have had this happen. Could be the link system was actuated and by you cleaning the system it was set off. I have had a experience where the fire system had been actuated by a flair up and the system did not go off, The conduit housing the fire sytem cable was so full of crud and grease that it would not actuate until the grease was broken down. Then it went off. My fault? Could be- I now ask the help if there have been any flair ups in the systems. If you ask the management they may dance around you (looking for a freebee) So ask the help they will tell you the truth its not there money. And if your conserned about the cost of recharging the system ask the owners if they would be willing to let you clean it for free next time, That way your only out your time and some supplies, And tell them the system should be cleaned more frequently to keep this from occuring in the future. This will keep you in the good graces of your customer. mtngoat167@yahoo.com Send me a e mail if ya want to discuss this any more. Goat
Post the pics of the fire links or whatever else you think may be at fault! maybe one of us will see something you dont?

Last edited:

Our Sponsors