road film removal

chirobob

Is there a particular chemical that I need to be adding to my detergent to remove road film . I 2 stepped yesterday and had to brush after applying detergent ( I also added some NaOH to the detergent to beef it up). On this job I used 20% H3PO4 thru a shurflow as client didn't want HF on site I also used hot water at 100 degrees Celsius, up to 3000psi with flow of 4 GPM. Any help would be appreciated. As I can't get the brands of detergent you guys use over there.
Regards
Jason

Dan S

Big-boy is the chem freak.. There is no since in me telling ya' what I use if you cant get it ....

You should not have to brush even if you did a one step
what is h3p04?

Scott Stone

Even using Hf sometimes you need to brush stuff. The Hf works so well because it is so willing to attach itself to something else. Phos works okay. I am assuming that this is the first time that you have washed these trailers. On a recurring basis, the phos SHOULD help you out sufficiently. You will need to brush everything down the first time or so.

Scott Stone

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Try a high alkaline soap on top of the acid.

3000psi is to much psi when washing trucks,go to a bigger tip to lower your psi.1200psi to 1800psi is plenty of psi,not all but like Scott said sometimes stuff needs brushing.

Dave Olson

Hello Jason,

We use a Sodium Metasilicate based product. Has a Ph of 12.4. We apply a 1-10 solution (hose-end sprayer), brush and rinse. Seldom do we run hot when doing fleets unless it is really cold or their really dirty!

Dave Olson

B

Bo diddly

Hose end sprayer? Please explain. We use just brushes when washing delivery trucks. We are looking for a way to apply soaps without using a pressure washer.
Thank you,
Bo

ron

bo didly, a hose end sprayer is a jug that connect's to the end of the pressure line. Just like the type of thing you might have seen to apply lawn fert. at the end of a garden hose, but this is for high presure.
If you want to apply soap without a PW you can do this with a hand cart,battery,12 volt shur-flo pump,braided line and a trigger gun. Might even mount a reel to the cart.
This will let you apply your mix at 100%
Get the right pump with the correct psi and seal's for the chem your spraying.

Dan S

SHUR-FLO
OR
FLO-JET

Get them in 12volt or 110 volt

Hook up a regular spray wand with either a trigger gun OR use a shut off ..Then hook it with a 1/4'' hose and place the other end into your chems.

By using a reg. pressure washer wand you then can change different spray patterns by using your old nozzels ( or new) .you can even use a zero to shoot it up in the air.........

B

Bo diddly

I really appreciate the advice fellas. My only concern with that set-up is the rate at which the pump works. I have never seen the 12V at work. Do they work well? I am also going to need a good universal soap. I wash fedex trucks with brushes and a good soap would take a bit of the labor out of my day.
Thanks for your time,
Bo

Dan S

Hey Bo ,

I have had the same 12V shur-flo for uhhhh 3 years I did have to re-place the head B/c I tightend the fitting to much and it cracked.
Other than that it is the best thing close to a Date. If'in ya' know what I mean .

I have several other pumps same model but different psi .. The one which I first referred to is a 150 psi with a gpm of 1.5 all the other ones are 60psi with the same gpms. I dont rinse mine out like other guys do I just let it hang on the wall filled with soap .I do have a switch mounted on the dash inside my van to turn it off / on .

As far as soap well I would suggest you call Mark @ easy-clean
And also he can post you a picture of shur-flo .he sells em' too.

hope this helps!

Dave Olson

Here is a picture of the hose-end sprayer that we use.

It is made to use city water pressure. We converted the fittings and use it with our pressure hoses. Using a 1500 psi pump, the pressure drops to 100 psi or so because of the large discharge hole. In the picture is shown a deflector to make a fan spray. We can take it off and put on a foamer attachment. The bar coming out the side of the yellow head allows us to adjust the amount of product that is pulled from the 1/2 jug. Settings on this head range from 1-10 to 1-3.

These sprayers are made by Gilmour Mfg. Let me know if you would like more information.

Dave Olson

Attachments

• tps-hoseendsp sml.jpg
    tps-hoseendsp sml.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 85

chirobob

Larry, I looked at some of your previos posts the other days and yes I worked out that I needed some bigger nozzles. I used your nozzle use as a rough guide and equated tis back to my machine. So I'll now trial 065 nozzles to give 1500psi instead of 045 @3000psi. I also usually use 15 Deg nozzles so I got an 065 @ 25 and 40 Degrees, so I'll be interested in how these go. Thanks everyone with your input.

Bo, I've had my Shur-flo sprayer for three months now and it is the best tool I could ever hope to have. It allows you to concentrate the spray on the area that you wan't you do have to much arounf with the jets though. I use a 15 litre per minute Kynar (chemical resistant) 40 degree fan jet nozzle- it rocks.

To give you an eg. when bickcleaning I used an x-jet type set up with frustrating results most of the chems would run off even though I would add extra surfactant. now with the shurflo I used less chem 33 % with better results as it stays on the wall.

I can't bag the x-jet as I have never used it, but it seems like its a similar principle to the end nozzle acid venturi I was using and I hated them as they weren't accurate enough in the chem concentration as there were too many variables to control ie pressure, flow length of hose hoe staying in solution etc. All I can say is that Shur-flo set ups are certainly better for brickcleaning where high concentrations of 50 - 100 % are crucial.

Our Sponsors