Aluminium bullbar and fuel tank streaks

chirobob

I have noticed the last couple of times I've 2 stepped HF on bull bars and fuel tanks they are streaking, admittedly they have been neglected for a number of years. Is there a way of counter acting this? They are white Alum not polished. Although, I never have any issues with the stainless components they turn out great.
I run the HF at 2% thru shur-flow then hit with 4% caustic hot downstreamed soap after two minutes dwell time and I apply HF bottom to top.
Could I be running the HF to strong or two weak? It doesn't apear to be removing all the oxidation probably 80% + I am not letting the acid dry before applying soap.

I did have some reasonably good reults a couple of months ago with 20% phosphoric instead of HF @ 2 %.

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
What color is the streaks? could be your caustic soap if they are brown looking.

chirobob

Wow that was quick.....................
Larry they are white, so I am getting an uneven two tone finish with no brown present, as I said these trucks live in toxic waste dumps so they are not the best kept.

Larry L.

Yes white streaks is HF streaks,,

It only means the streaks are cleaner then the rest of the tank,on those kind of tanks you can make your mix strong enough to clean down to the streaks or even stronger to clean them down to a white aluminum.If the tanks are already white enough as in being clean,your mix may be a tab to strong.

chirobob

Thanks,
I'll make up a special 5% mix to burn down to the white aluminium lustre the fuel tank will be fine, but I'll make up a jig to cover the windshields for the bull bars.

I'm fighting a little devil in my head that wants to try downstreaming the 40% HF and upstreaming the soap, but I can't seem to get my safety sam side around it. I guess it's like climbing a tall tower the more often you do it the more comfortable you are with it. One step at a time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cleaned a Fast Vac last night it took me 5 hours of first rotajetting the super phoshate off it just to get to the paint work to allow the chem to work. It spends most of it's time in a fertilizer plant cleaning up spills from the conveyors, boy does that stuff do some damage the sulphuric acid corrodes everything electrical, paint chassis you name it. Rewire every 6 months, new paint annualy, chassis inspection 3 monthly.

Larry L.

All bull bars are not alike,some are stainless steel and some are stainless steel look alikes.The cheaper grade stainless steel bull bars cann't handle a strong mix of HF or caustic soap,even some of the cheaper stack muffer sheilds cann't handle a strong mix whether it be acid or soap.I do not apply acid to the sun sheilds,I usually prespray it before cleaning with upstream soap.

If you had a downstreamer you could flash the tanks with acid while washing with upstream soap.After you have applied your mix with the shur-flo try reappling to the tanks before you wash it.

Our Sponsors