What size water tank do you carry??

Jack

Do most you guys carry tanks?

My dealer has factory seconds.200 gallon loaf tank 199.00 and 330 gallon vertical tank 225.00.I know the bigger the better, but since I have only a 5 by 10 trailer single axle I am limited by what I can carry

Any suggestion

Thank you once again

Jack

[This message has been edited by Jack (edited February 26, 2000).]

Jon

I have a tandem axle trailer with 2 220 gallon tanks on it, and I do at times carry water to the job site.

What you need to do is find out the what your trailer axle weight is and add all the equipment you have up and then see how much free weight you have left, that will determine the size tank you should consider adding to your rig. It is not how many gallons but the overall weight.

Overload and someday your equipment will be all over the roadway when your axle gives out.

Jon

------------------
I'm always cleaning up other peoples me$$es.

C

Craig/PowerWashUnlimited

Jack,

I started out with a 525 gallon tank on a 16 ft tandem axle. Reduced it all down to a 6x12 tandem trailer and 335 gallon tank. If i were you i would go with a 200 gallon tank, since i rarely need more than the 335. With your load capacity, about 3500 pound axle, you can only go with a 200 gallon if you plan on filling it all the way up. If i need allot of water, i just throw the 525 gallon tank into bed of truck and fill it up.

Craig

------------------
Craig Knight
Power Wash Unlimited
www.powerwashunlimited.com

Kevin

I have a 325 gallon water tank on a 14ft tandem trailer. This will give me an hours worth of washing if I had to use it. It would also be enough water to live on for a while if I had no home because my wife kicked me out! No really this tank is about the maximum size I would want to cram on my trailer with al the other stuff that's needed.

Lorin Grable

I have a 525 gallon tank. I planned to have two 5 gpm machines pulling from this tank so without any water running into it, thats about 50 minutes.

But I founf last year (had a 5 and 4 gpm machine) that if I let the tank fill up to about 250 gallons, kept the customers meger flow from hose bibb running and we both got after it, the tank would eventually draw down and we would have to stop and let it catch up. I find the tank is more necessary as a buffer against a customers low flow supply. Believe it or not, there are many hose bibbs that can't put out over 4 gpm (and this is even a city water supply!!)

G

Greg - GCR PowerClean

There is one other determining issue you will have to keep in mind. What are you pulling the trailer with. A 525 gallon tank filled is going to weigh in at 4700 lbs +/-. Then add in your washer (700 lbs) and the weight of the trailer (say 1000 lbs) and all the other misc. equipment and thats alot of weight behind your truck.

------------------
Greg Rentschler
GCR PowerClean
www.gcrpowerclean.com

G

Greg - GCR PowerClean

.... oh ya, one more thing....

If your hauling a good amount of water....

... TRAILER BRAKES ARE A MUST!!

------------------
Greg Rentschler
GCR PowerClean
www.gcrpowerclean.com

knoefel

Jack i have an 5 by 10 inclosed trailer too. Ive got a 300 gallon water tank in the front of the trailer and my skid is mounted on a drawer it is like a tool box drawer, that i slide out when i use it then slide it back in when i am done. I had to do this because my rig was getting to hot and the oil was getting to thin and the low oil switch was shutting the unit off.

Jon

I go every six month to a local weigh station and for about $6.00 pull up, unhitch and have the trailer weighed without the truck.

I load it up completly, 420 gallons of water, all my 5 gallon buckets and whatever else I would carry.

Now I know the totally weight and I have the tag to prove it if I ever get pulled over.

Like Craig said, and I think the most important factor is the pulling vehicle, a half ton pick up truck won't last long if your hauling around a all that weight.

Just remember when getting weighed you don't need an offical weigh, cost a lot more and your not a commercial vehicle.

After I made this post I filled both tanks and went to weigh trailer. With almost everything I carry it weighs: 6,380. another 1000 pounds and I am maxed out yet I have more to add later so I what would you pro's recommend, upgrading the axles to 10,000 like I should have done when I had the trailer made, Scott I should have listened to you too,you did say go the that weight axles, now look what I done just to save a buck!.

Jon

------------------
I'm always cleaning up other people's me$$es.

Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247

[This message has been edited by Jon (edited February 26, 2000).]

MQPorter

I have read all of the post so far and I have to agree with most of them. You must look at to gross vehicle weight of your trailer and the truck pulling it. We just added our third unit and it is a 16x6.5 tandem trailer. Our other two are cube vans. We have 525 gallon tanks in them. This was necessary because we have 2 units in each truck drawing five gpm each. I have yet to find a customer that has a flow rate of 10 gpm. We only fill them completely once we reach the job site.

ps. To the guy that has the problem with his trailer getting to hot. Try installing an attic fan. That is what we did to solve the same problem in our trucks.

J Prewitt

Hi Jack:
I agree with the other post.
I would like to add one more item for your concideration.
Fuel, The more weight you are pulling the less milage you will get! On one of our rigs we have a 460 eng, with a 16' trailer, + equipment and supplies, no water. We get 10 mpg, with 235 gal tank full, we get 4 mph.
Unless you need to haul water "DON'T"
J Prewitt

spraymasters

Hi Jack,
We also run a 5X10 trailer with a single axle, a drop door on the back and a side door. Have a vent on the top. I have a 650 pound machine, with ladders and all the little extras that add up. Plus we added a 100 gallon tank. We put the machine right over the axle and the water tank right in front toward the tongue. Pulls great. We are almost at the peak weight though. The 100 gallon tank we use most of the time by just hooking the hose up to it. So if the water pressure is slow...we fill it and then have 30 min. or so of full water. I realize it is not enough to go to a job site without water available......but......that is the price i pay for the rig set up I have....Good Luck!
Dennis

knoefel

Originally posted by MQPorter:
I have read all of the post so far and I have to agree with most of them. You must look at to gross vehicle weight of your trailer and the truck pulling it. We just added our third unit and it is a 16x6.5 tandem trailer. Our other two are cube vans. We have 525 gallon tanks in them. This was necessary because we have 2 units in each truck drawing five gpm each. I have yet to find a customer that has a flow rate of 10 gpm. We only fill them completely once we reach the job site.

ps. To the guy that has the problem with his trailer getting to hot. Try installing an attic fan. That is what we did to solve the same problem in our trucks.

MQPORTER I installed a attic fan and put a 30" fan in the rear of the trailer and it kept over heating i fought that problem for a couple of months and then thought of putting it on a skid and now it works great. Thanks for the advice. Joe

Richard

Originally posted by Jack:
Do most you guys carry tanks?

My dealer has factory seconds.200 gallon loaf tank 199.00 and 330 gallon vertical tank 225.00.I know the bigger the better, but since I have only a 5 by 10 trailer single axle I am limited by what I can carry

Any suggestion

Thank you once again

Jack

Jack;
Ive got a 5x8 trl w/325 6,000# single axle, which now looking back at it is extremley tight with the hose reels and chemicals and all ,Ive since have gotten larger 6 1/2 x 16 tandem same size tanks and all of them have brakes (its a must)its been working great for me
Richard :)
[This message has been edited by Jack (edited February 26, 2000).]

Our Sponsors