Looking at the PW business

X

xr4ticlone

Hi everyone,

I just found this site today and it's been very informative, I want to thank the people that put it up!

I have been in the technology business (sales) for the last 6 years and have been working mainly inside sales. I grew up on a farm and I enjoy being outside, I don’t mind sales but I am tired of working for others (and getting laid off or watching my pay go down 10-20% a year while being expected to produce more and more…tech industry is a tough market these days).

The last 5-6 months I have been looking at buying a business (substantial amount of investment needed) but I’m finding most have a lot of question marks about the actual profitability or sustainability of the business. At this point I think I’d be better off trying something like this where I can pay cash for the equipment and still have savings to cover my bills vs. going into debt several hundred thousands of dollars hoping to make enough to pay me and the loan.

I’m not afraid of the sales or marketing side…what I am concerned about is the amount of money that I can make. I realize that I will have to take a pay cut from my current levels for some time, but I need to be able to make $40K to $50K a year or more after expenses.

What I really need to know is…am I barking up the wrong tree here? I’m not trying to offend anyone and I don’t want or need to know what anyone makes. I hope this isn’t taken the wrong way.

Also, does anyone here do any painting or sand blasting? Just wondering.

I appreciate your help and input.

Thanks,

Chad

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Chad,

Welcome to The Power Wash Network!

I would not say you are barking up the wrong tree
you will find that the p/w business can be profitable
if run right.

Stick around a while, read posts, ask questions,
you can learn a lot right here.

Maybe you can even hook up with someone
in another area who will help train you.

onecallpowerw

I second that. Keep in mind you have to be profitable. Starting out will be costly but do not skimper here. Talk to Mark @ Easy Clean Systems, he can set you up a nice rig from what I have read and seen. I will buy my next one from you Mark (If ya readin). Maybe this year or next.

Again, do not skimper. If ya gonna jump in, jump in with both feet. (Except if your in Maryland) Market in Southern Maryland already taken care of (Just Jokin)

If you do this you will never look back. Great Business, but hard work.

X

xr4ticlone

Thanks

I appreciate the responses...

I don't have a problem with hard work, but I am getting tired of A) being inside all day...B) making money for others...C) wondering if I'll have a job in 2 months...D) wondering if I'll still be making more than 1/2 of what I made last year next year. : (

I will be sending off a couple of emails today to some guys in the area and see if any would mind letting me tag along or learn off them.

My wife and I want to leave the Raleigh area to be closer to family so I have NO intention of getting into the business here.

Thanks again,

Chad

B.E YOUNG Sr

Well talk about extremes. White collar to a big blue one.

You will be going from smooth hands to rough as .

Want to work outdoors. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Like the summer heat?

Like the winter cold?

Find a local guy and see if you can give him some free labor to see what is involved. You might not like the work.

I realize you grew up on a farm and was use to hard work but, you are not eighteen anymore.

This can be very physical work. Heck if it wasn't for Tylenol or Advil sometimes I don't think I could keep going.

Do you have good feet?

Not trying to discourage you but rather encourage you to really do all the research and the hands on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck on your decision.

Oh yeah if you are motivated the 50K is there.

onecallpowerw

B.E. Hit it right on the nose. Of course winters in Maryland are not that good. And I am feelin it. Lower Back Pain (Everything), Right Calf Strain (Roof Walkin), Arms hurt from stainin above (Deck) Ouch. Ibuprofen 600mg backed up with heatin pad.

Every year the same. Probably sometime in late March, wont feel the pain until next February.

Again, good luck and you know where to come for answers.

X

xr4ticlone

I totally understand

and yes, the thought of "always greener" has crossed my mind.

I will be perfectly honest, and not trying to offend anyone...but my goal would be to get running and then hire on most of the work after a few years. Also, I think I could use this to launch into other businesses.

I understand that can be a challenge as well...and who knows, after a couple years of this I may want a full time job back. : )

I have been looking at businesses for sale for about 6-8 months now and have not been able to find a business for sale that looks like a great deal. Too many times there are financial issues (books don't match up to taxes), or unexplaned jumps in business just last year...and now they expect to be paid like the business proformed that way forever...questions about ability to retain employees or customers...you get the picture.

onecallpowerw

Yes, I think we all have the dream of success. We started out with myself and 1 rig 8 years ago. My intentions were to build, build and build the business. One thing I have achived is we have now 4 rigs with trucks, 1 full timer, 2 part timers (stain/paint guys) and 8 years later I still go out everyday and do something. Yes, I could probably hire another to fill my shoes and sit back and punch the keyboard all day or become a better salesman but you will find that you will want to be part of the business. You will want to get your hands dirty. I think this would even be true if I have a fleet of twenty. I dont know. But ya never stop growin unless you want to.

Whats funny about this business is the majority of the growing comes from the work ya do. Your work sells the business hands down. Do it right the first time and you will never have to look back.

oneness

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by xr4ticlone
I appreciate the responses...

I don't have a problem with hard work, but I am getting tired of A) being inside all day...B) making money for others...C) wondering if I'll have a job in 2 months...D) wondering if I'll still be making more than 1/2 of what I made last year next year. : (

I agree with A and B...C can be exchanged with hoping you'll have enough jobs to pay the bills in two months...D will still be around....

Not trying to discourge you...I agree with Bruce...The money is there if you're motivated and willing to put in the long hours to get your name out there and build a reputation. The work can be hard, but it sure beats the hell out of sitting at a desk all day.

Chad

Our Sponsors