Upstreaming Soap

chirobob

Larry, Dan S
I've been dabbling in the two step for a few months and I am now trying to get it to my liking. Originally, I used my 4GPM machine with a hot box to do the trick . I applied the HF @ 3% with a shurflo the downstreamed the soap at a reasonable pressure. The results were pretty good.
Since then I have hooked up my 8 GPM unit to hot water and I am currently trying this out downstreaming HF and soap with a rollover nozzle application only leaving out the Shurflo. The problem I have is, to downstream the HF I have to use the largest GPM nozzle possible to eliminate the overspray, but this nozzle is gives to lower pressure for applying the soap which gives a pretty average result.
What I would like to do is apply the HF downstream with a dual lance and upstream the soap hot.

Is there any modification that I need to do for my pump other than making it an open gun? In saying this Dan S with your new venture you may be able to help- How do the self serve car washes upstream the soap with out having an open gun or does it simply bypass in a closed circuit without going back into a feeder tank and causing excess foam?

With regard to the upstream, from the photo you posted of your soap manifold Larry, I thought I would simply add a 1/2 " valve to the supply line, add a tube to a 5 Gall tank and adjust the valve open to suit % soap required. I think I am along the right track here - do you guys have any thing to add?

Also what % on 'average' would you use as an upstream soap 0.5, 1.... 2 % ?

Any help would be great?

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
I would not add the soap line to the supply line,it will take longer for the soap to clear out of the lines before rinsing,Add it to the pumps intake.

"but this nozzle is gives to lower pressure for applying the soap which gives a pretty average result."==Are you saying its to slow or not appling the soap strong enough?

Is there any modification that I need to do for my pump other than making it an open gun?=no

chirobob

I would not add the soap line to the supply line,it will take longer for the soap to clear out of the lines before rinsing,Add it to the pumps intake.
-Sorry, I did actually mean the pump intake.

"but this nozzle is gives to lower pressure for applying the soap which gives a pretty average result."==Are you saying its to slow or not appling the soap strong enough?
- I have found that if you don't apply the soap at a reasonable high/medium pressure it has little effect on grime that has been there for an extended period of time.

Is there any modification that I need to do for my pump other than making it an open gun?=no
- I thought this was the case I just wanted to confirm it . I did do a search before hand the only thing I can see is that I may have to replace the pump sooner- Who cares if it saves me a bunch of time and ultimately money in the long run!

Thanks for your help on this Larry.... I'm still keen to know how the carwashes recirculate the soap??????

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
A Dema Injector will allow you to downstream inject chemicals at higher pressures.

On a 5 GPM @ 3000 PSI you could inject at 2000 PSI or even 2500 PSI.

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Dema Injector are used in carwashes which are set on timers,the on and off valves does the same thing,only manly labor.

I have never replaced a pump or have had any valve problems with upstream soap,lucky I guess.I think from 1500 to 1800 psi is all thats needed when washing trucks,any more then that your working harder.

Dan S

Hey chriobob,

Sorry it takes so long .Im not here as much as I used to be !!

There are 2 methods That I can think of now

One is high pressure >> where there is a soilnoid tied to the inlet of pump where as it turns on/off

Second is the low pressure method>>

It has it's own seperate line and in most applications requires air to that line to push the soap. That seperate line has a manifold and gets controlled at the place where you slap your money in.

Personally I hate those "roll over " nozzels.

You can make that work by down the Acid and up the soap However You will be sending all that soap thru. your pump and packing/seals.

I would check into MArks advice!

Hope I was a little helpfull!!

Dan S

2 step works great.

However if you REALLY dont want to mess with the 2 step and mess with 2 chems.......... I would recommend ONE soap and either downstream it or pre-spray.

Talk to Mark he can hook you up with POWERBRITE

If you pre-spray you can get 5-to-6 drums outa one kit. maybe more depending on how you mix it up!!

and they look like you just brushed them.

If you let your soap do the cleaning for you and then just come back and rinse you will not only save h20 but also make those trucks/cars...shine like a new one ............ (in the pre-spray mode)

gotta scoot!
c-ya~

Aplus

Hey Danno,
When you say pre-spray, are you applying with a sureflow rig? I know you probably said before, but I'm having a mid-life moment right now.

PS....Hope the new gig is working out well for ya.

Dan S

Tony, mid-life? I know what thats ALL about.....lol

10-4 on the shure-flo

One of the ones I use alot is the 150psi @ 1.3 gpm.........It works great for reaching the spoilers of those trks. and throws out a nice pattern. Just dont spray against the wind you get a mouth full!!

But there are better ones then that which I will convert to soon.

Yeah the new "gig" is working out just great I should of did it a couple years ago when I first was asked.......But I guess there is a time and reason for everything.

Aplus

I don't have a sureflow setup in the trailer with the hotwater. I tried d/s, but didn't feel the chems were going on strong enough for a prespray...too soften bugs and mud and stuff. So I have xjetted a few times and that works ok, but causes alot of over spray in the wind.

I tried a pump up sprayer to shoot chems on the hood and grill to soften up the bugs, and that worked ok, but too slow. I guess I'll have to get on the ball and setup the sureflow.

Thanks.....

Our Sponsors