Caution: Virus Alert

O

OrangeCrest

Today Mike at Everclear attempted to send me an e-mail containing a virus.

Not sure if it was intentional, but if you so happen to get an e-mail with a file attached, don't open it. Delete it.

Attachments

• mike everclear sent virus.jpg
    mike everclear sent virus.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 105

Flue Steam

Thats almost funny...I have been trying to get Mike to email me for several weeks now and he hasn't. now I guess I'm glad. Did your anti virus catch it? or did you find out the hard way?

onecallpowerw

What's even more (NOT) funny is that same virus can cause system slow downs. I bet ya, this is the virus that is continually causing PWI to go down. Hope Mike reads this and takes care of it.

P

paul-uk

not sure if it was intenional.....?????? if anyone is unlucky enough to get a virus i am sure they would not want to pass it on....even the pita's would'nt stoop that low.

paul.

O

OrangeCrest

Originally posted by Flue Steam
Thats almost funny...I have been trying to get Mike to email me for several weeks now and he hasn't. now I guess I'm glad. Did your anti virus catch it? or did you find out the hard way?

The virus scanner at Hotmail caught it before it could even reach my system.

I have firewalls and virus protection, but didn't need it, thankfully; nnot that I would have open an attachment in the first place...

I forward it onto the FBI, they keep track of things like this and was told to take an exact copy to their field office here in Riverside.

It would be pretty stupid, on his part, to send the virus under his own name, that's where the FBI breaks it down and finds other victims and arrest them just like the others that thought they were smarter than the last guy that got arrested.

So I really don't think it was him, it was more than likely someone else on one of the boards that spoofed their I.P. and faked the return path... All elementary to someone who really knows computers.

Someone who knows computers is past the retarded attachment stunt that everyone is aware of.

Must be some want-na-be that has nothing better to do than show their inability to even pull off a simple task of infecting someone’s computer.

Probably got frustrated by not being to find work... Poor little baby
... :(

O

OrangeCrest

Originally posted by paul-uk
not sure if it was intenional.....?????? if anyone is unlucky enough to get a virus i am sure they would not want to pass it on....even the pita's would'nt stoop that low.

paul.

Didn't contain anything but the virus...

Viruses get spread in many ways, but to use your own name? That would be suicidal or pretty bold since you will be the first to be investigated...

Here is a copy of the headers, etc...

Sent : Saturday, June 5, 2004 9:48 AM
To : silverlining53@hotmail.com
Subject : Re: Secure SMTP Message

| | | Inbox

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachment : msg.zip (0.04 MB)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: from hotmail.com ([144.136.30.239]) by mc12-f32.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6824); Sat, 5 Jun 2004 02:48:06 -0700
X-Message-Info: 6sSXyD95QpV3SmsmZIhvIS4O2q4P2RNY
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
Return-Path: mike@evclear.com
Message-ID: <MC12-F32oVF9slyQl4u00059442@mc12-f32.hotmail.com>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 05 Jun 2004 09:48:06.0780 (UTC) FILETIME=[33F253C0:01C44AE2]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View E-mail Message Source
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0016----=_NextPart_000_0016"

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

ESMTP [Secure Mail System #334]: Secure message is attached.

++++ Attachment: No Virus found
++++ F-Secure AntiVirus - www.f-secure.com

Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name="msg.zip"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;filename="msg.zip"

Attachment : msg.zip (0.04 MB)

"ESMTP [Secure Mail System #334]: Secure message is attached."

This would que anyone's suspicion...

Also... Is mike's address "everclear.." or "evclear.."?

O

OrangeCrest

Interesting... I have trace the I.P. to Sydney Australia

And has his PORTS wide open, he he he... [vam1]

Research the board and found that Mike spells it "Everclear," not "Evclear" like in the headers...

If he can't even cover his tracks on a simple "spoof," he is good as caught... This can be fun...

Last edited by a moderator:

oneness

I can't believe that anyone who knows anything about Mike would even suggest that it was intentional. Apparently you DON'T know him.

O

OrangeCrest

Originally posted by oneness
I can't believe that anyone who knows anything about Mike would even suggest that it was intentional. Apparently you DON'T know him.

No... I do know mike, and if you reread my post you will see that I said I didn't feel it was Mike...

I have the real sender hanging right now in Sydney, Australia.

Hanging there with his fly wide open...

Also, Mike spells his co. name "Everclear" not "Evclear..."

Believe me... This guy isn't liking life to much right now, Ha Ha Ha!!

Damn Computer!! :burn:

He keeps turning on and off... Can't get the damn thing to work!!

Whaaaa!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

MR ALAN

Originally posted by OrangeCrest
I forward it onto the FBI, they keep track of things like this and was told to take an exact copy to their field office here in Riverside.
... :(

Oh please, Like the FBI has nothing better to do than have everyone bring in copies of a virus. So what if you tracked his IP to Sydney, what are you gonna do now? Fly over there and rough em up? Maybe throw them on the Barby?
There are several guys from Australia on the various boards and they are good guys. Just because the Ip came from there, does not mean they intentionally sent it.

Mikes name is Everclear, but his website is http://www.evclear.com/. Either way, I do not think he sent it you. It just means that it came form a person who has the both of you in their address book, and they probably did not even know it was sent. What they do know is that they have a messed up computer, as they would have had to open the attachment so that it could start the process.

Bottom line is unless someone has told you they were sending you something, then do not open it. The subject line is usually a giveaway, as well as the content/message that is viewable prior to actually opening it.
They usually say "Scanned by "abc virus software" or something like that, "For your protection.
Some even just say "Here is your attachment" Does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that it is bad news.

O

OrangeCrest

Originally posted by MR ALAN
Oh please, Like the FBI has nothing better to do than have everyone bring in copies of a virus. So what if you tracked his IP to Sydney, what are you gonna do now? Fly over there and rough em up? Maybe throw them on the Barby?
There are several guys from Australia on the various boards and they are good guys. Just because the Ip came from there, does not mean they intentionally sent it.

It was a warning to those who might not have a firewall or virus protector on their computer...

As for ruffing him up, why travel when you can return the favor... He is getting the idea...

And yes, the FBI will take care of it because it can affect world commerce, watch the news once in a while...

onecallpowerw

It seems as if you guys should have something better to do vs. all these post on this little minute problem. Orangecrest, please find something else to do...... Its over, move on......

O

OrangeCrest

Originally posted by onecallpowerw
It seems as if you guys should have something better to do vs. all these post on this little minute problem. Orangecrest, please find something else to do...... Its over, move on......

LOL!! I agree...

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
I'm sure he didn't send it. Virus send themselves for the most part. Even the trace you did, that guy may be a victim too.

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Since I have 1999 posts I thought I would post another. SOmetimes viruses put a little server on your system to use use system as a mail server. Also spyware will do the same.

Have a nice weekend:)

Flue Steam

well this makes 128 for me. I would hope that everyone here has a spyware blocking program like spyhunter installed, and that they dont use toolbar addons like ALEXA that track internet usage and report usage back to unknown computers.

Our Sponsors