Fire Hose Water Diverter

grave26

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on making a fire hose water diverter?

I have 50 feet of fire hose... It has the brass fitings at the end. (I'd like to cut those suckers off first chance because they are HEAVY...)

So I've heard people fill them up with sand part way?? That's going to be one heavy hose... Do you guys use 50 feet???!?!? I was thinking about cutting it down into 2 x 25 ft sections... or 2 x 20 ft sections and 1 x 10 ft section...

What do you guys suggest???

And what did you guys use to clamp the hose off once you were done creating this wonderful water diverter?? =)

Thanks for the help!

Rob

C

CaroPowerWash

Advice from a firefighter

I was once a professional firefighter. We used old firehose on our HAZMAT response units to divert water in to a lower elevated containment area. If you think the ends are heavy, load it up with sand and sew up the ends. Trust me it will be alot heaver than those brass ends. It took at least three firefighters to pull one 50' section and set it up. My advice to you is to use the smallest diameter hose possible. In the fire service we used a inch and a half attack line for woods fires, we called it "trashline" because is was small, cheap, and easy to handle. It has a thin rubber wall and a canvass mesh sleeve which will make it very light, even when filled with sand. I have utilized two 100' hoses in to 8-25' sections for diverting water myself. They work great and I can pull them off of my trailer by myself!

klean_freak

Just Asking

Don't know if it would work but worth a try i guess how bout Half sand and the rest air to keep shape??

Like i said don't know if it would work..

O

OrangeCrest

You could always lay it out and then fill it with water and then drain it when you are done...

Fill it up, clamp it at the end and go in the reverse order when you are done...

klean_freak

Right

You could use those bread or chip bag clips for quicker ends seeing how you work with WATER all day.

Or pvc end caps with thread.

See 2 or more heads are better than one questions are great.

D

degraffreed

Firehose diverter

Just thinking here,

Is it possible to use a old garden hose in a say 25' section.. put a threaded cap on one end. (Like you use for a outside spigot if it drips) fill it with water with your PWer and clamp the other end.Will this work in logic?

degraffreed :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jon

Degraf go buy some blue pool hose, 2 inch dia. and fill with sand, fold ends a couple times, drill holes through them and nut and bolt with large washers closed.

Or do it right and buy a heavy duty wet vacuum with sump pump and some tubes and pick up the water.

Pump it to the sewer or wherever you planned to divert it to and be done with it, UNLESS it is grease, oil and gas, then you need to pick it up.

D

degraffreed

Thanks Jon. I am currently looking at Grainger for a wet vac/sump pump.

degraffreed

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Ecs Wash Capture Recycle Rig

Here is a picture of our waste water solution.
We delivered it last week.

We will be introducing some more economical
models before year end.

Attachments

• 101504.jpg
    101504.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 270
O

OrangeCrest

Now that is a beauty Mark!!

Makes my mouth water...

One observation I am noticing... The two tanks sitting sideways, shouldn't they sit side to side?

Unless they are conected and level out, I would think that could be a little hazardous with to much weight to one side of the trailer.

I think you have seen mine where both tanks turned on the tralier.

I loaded trailers for six-years, and that was a big concern.

MR ALAN

Mike Gwas said:
Where's the barbecue ???? It looks like it has everything else. How about a burger ???? (very nice)

With 2 hot water units on there, you can at least steam some rice & veggies :burn:

Our Sponsors