Need HELP on this grease

PowerPlay

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I had asked some questions on crane washing, I got the job and everything has been great.

Until, we did such a good job, the manager of the recycle yard wants us washing his trucks.

I have never seen trucks so filthy, the grease is just caked on, THICK, around all the lifts and etc. The product I have been using doesn't touch it. I need something to loosen it up, I can't afford to use hot pressure to detail these thing. What type of truck soap or degreaser do you guys recomend? I'll also be degreasing the engines. I realize the first time I clean these will be the worst since they havn't been touched for probably 6 months.

BTW, those cranes are a real money maker, I under bid the guy he fired by 50 bucks, and still come out at around 300 bills for an hour, hour and a half each.

I'm re-thinking the soap I use for trucks, since this is the first account that will have consistantly DIRTY trucks.

Thanks Guys,

Nate

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
You should have added the cost of hot pressure,in time you may wish someone would come along and under bid you on that account.Hot pressure is the cheapest chemical I know of for degreasing,time you figure time spent on the job and other chemicals.Sometimes a turbo nozzel will do a better and faster job on baked on grease.

More than likely the other guy was laughing as he went out the gate.

PowerPlay

you misunderstood me larry

That was on the cranes that i underbid him on, and that was after he fired the other. The "other" guy, whom I know locally, was never showing up when he said, the manager got sick of it and let him go. He also never considered having his fleet washed by the former washer. I have no complaints on the cranes, making more then enough on those, just trying not to lose it all on these trucks, ya know what i mean.;)

In case you had the wrong idea, no i didn't steal this account, they came to me when they were not satisfied with their current washer. So far, it's going GREAT! I like washing the cranes too, it's fun.

Has anyone tried "GLORY"? sounds good

Maybe your right, just take my loss on this first cycle and make it up with the bi-weekly account i got.

Thanks anyway Larry.

Larry L.

Let me see if I can reword my meaning.

The other guy may have all he wanted in washing for that guy(not showing up),it gets were you don't want to blow grease anymore.Its fun for awhile but you will see that for yourself in time to come.I now try to run from trackhoses and the grease the bigger hy. eqt. gets on them.Not that I cann't handle the jobs but the grease itself likes me,in the eye,nose,cloths,hoses,worktruck and everything else setting close.Thats was the reason I said he was laughing as he drove out the gate plus he knows your cheaper as to his price.If you had talked to him he may have given you the business without dropping the price.He knows what your making at that account and how long it will take you to do it,while he is out making more money at cleaner accounts your stuck.It cost money to clean grease and chemicals cann't do it along,takes a wittle hotwater at times,even turbos with hotwater at times.

On that type grease and the area they are in try a vent-a-hood degreaser.

PowerPlay

Thanks for the tip Larry. Yea, hopefully he runs from all his accounts, I'll buy another rig. Maybe he's getting old, too old to handle the heat and grease. For 300 bucks an hour I'll do just about anything. (just about)! :D

Doug T

Nate, Why don't you rent a hot box for the first time on the trucks? Larry is right, hot water is the cheapest chemical around. At $300.00 per hour you can afford it one time.
Doug

PowerPlay

Hi Doug,

300 an hour is on the cranes I don't mind detailig the grease off of them (I can spend an hour on each).

The trucks however is what I dont want to spend an hour on each. Nobody will pay you 300 bucks to clean a truck no matter how greasey they are. You comparing a 800,000 dollar vehicle to a 100,000 dollar vehicle.

Yea, thats what I was saying in the other post, maybe I'll just spend the extra time on them this first time, and make it up over time. However, I'd luv to have a chemical that makes it easier, I may try Larry's idea on the vent-a-hood degreaser. (thanks larry)

Yes I have HOT water (Hydro-Tek all the way baby)!!

-N8

Scott Stone

Try your standard truck washing chemical, but do not dilute it. If it is any good the grease should roll off pretty easily.
OF course, I do not comprehend how someone can clean cranes, make $300 an hour, and use a cold water machine.
For that matter, who would pay $300 per crane to wash them?

Scott Stone

Larry L.

Scott I think he used hotwater on the cranes,he has a hotwater rig.

He cann't afford to use hotwater on the trucks b/c of his bid and wanting something to remove caked on grease with cold water.Atleast thats the way I read the Q'tion,the way I look at it is.He'll have to use hotwater every time he washes those type trucks,atleast I would think so.

I would get back into blowing grease on everything for 300 an hour,I wouldn't care if it did get up my nose,it would smell pretty good.

O

OrangeCrest

Kicking on the burner is a heck of a lot cheaper than appling chems, at least in my experience...

Dan S

So once again Power..

what part of central are `ya from?

I would use both ................. Heat and soap!

I would use cold to knock off all the heavy mud ...followed by a hot soap and Cold rinse!!:)

PowerPlay

Spare Parts

I have had nothing but good luck with Hydro Tek!! Over three years and had to replace a $1.99 fitting. Mike, have you had problems with them? Which series did you own?

PowerPlay

Where i'm from is a secret?

No, it's not a secret Dan, we spoke about this before. I'm from around Lancaster County, no where near you, so I don't think you were the one that supposedly ran out the gate laughing.

Lets remember Larry is the one who came up with the theary that the former washer was happy to loose the account.

But, you know what, I don't care if he was or wasn't because I know I am happy to receive the account.

By the Way, the first wash took a while but the trucks came out really good, I talked to the manager and let him know that some extra time was put in because the trucks were neglected for so long, he was just happy they came out so clean and made up for my extra time with extra cash. They should be a lot more fun to wash from now on.

:cool:

I ended up just doing what I had posted first, detailing them with just hot pressure in the trouble areas.

Larry L.

Lets remember Larry is the one who came up with the theary that the former washer was happy to loose the account.

That was just a train of thought,no harm meant.

You would have to understand the train thought when you have been in this business 10 or more years.I have given several several accounts away that added into several 1000's of dallors.I was not under bid and the price was always higher for my competitors to take them over.Each time I gave a account away I always stepped up to cleaner accounts making more money.Like I said,he/I know what,how much and how long it will take to wash the accounts given away.If you can keep your competition working on cheaper dirtier accounts your ahead of the ball game.

I have never losted a account to a competitor not even when they offered cheaper pricing.But I will tell you this much about me,IF I ever lose a account to my competition you'd had better bet I'll take two or more of his,,let me alone and I'll let you alone.

Dan S

I know you prob. told me but I have what they call a Forget full mind!! You dont post a whole heck of alot and I forget easy!!

Im not worried about you being around me . Heck I love the competition.

Hey, the wife and I are going to be in lancaster for some R~R
She wants to do the bed-breakfast thing Then off to the Antiques

Can you recommend any where up your way?

Can you get me some info. on any bed-breakfast crap!
any points of interest?

It's our big 20 years of being married ......I asked her what she wanted to do and she picked that .soooooooooo here we come!!

Maybe we can hook up for a cup of AM coffee........ not too AM I may be BUSY!!:)LOL

You gotta keep a sharp eye on Big-boy His train dont awlays blow the right whitsle........he has fish in the eye!!LOL:)

Larry L.

I just off the phone with a truckdriver going though your area headed home,he is needing washed.If I had your phone # I would have given it to him to call ya and let him see what PA truckwashers were like.Fire engine red truck pulling a black hopper bottom all polished out,I'm not to crazy bout washing it Wednesday,but for 75 I think I can splash and dash it.

Happy big 20,busy yeah I hear ya,go to the bathroom when you get up and you can have early am coffee.

Our Sponsors