Urgent!!

alvaro

Hi guys,
Using cold water PW, how can I remove cement drops, water based paint spots (emulsion) and limestone from brick pavers on a patio? What type of chemicals/pressure/spray angle? Thanks
(Please, don't give me brands. I mite not be able to get it here in Europe)

O

OrangeCrest

You can't rent a hot water washer?

You are going to take hours upon hours with a cold water washer, spend lots of money on chems and it still will look like crap.

May be there is someone else who can do it for you?

Just a suggestion...

alvaro

Someone else to do it for me?What in the hell made you think I would apreciat that answer?
Ok! What if I rent a hot water machine?

Last edited:

alvaro

PHP:
What in hell made you think I would apreciat that answer??

oneness

OrangeCrest said:
You can't rent a hot water washer?

You are going to take hours upon hours with a cold water washer, spend lots of money on chems and it still will look like crap.

Just a suggestion...

Alvero is in Europe, and it may well be a bit harder to get hold of the right equipment.

Gotta love those constructive suggestions.

O

OrangeCrest

alvaro said:
PHP:
What in hell made you think I would apreciat that answer??

Didn't think, nor care, if you appreciate that answer... You asked a professional a question, you got a professional's reply: get a professional to do the job right.

Good luck...

chirobob

alvaro said:
Hi guys,
Using cold water PW, how can I remove cement drops, water based paint spots (emulsion) and limestone from brick pavers on a patio? What type of chemicals/pressure/spray angle? Thanks
(Please, don't give me brands. I mite not be able to get it here in Europe)
Cement drops- Hydrochloric acid diluted at 5:1, Water based paint - try using aerosol cans of oven cleaner, you may other wise try turpentine if it is oil based. limestone - CLR (Calcium Lime Rust: brush this on straight) or oxalic acid at 10:1 disolved in hot water then brush/ broom it on, or Phosphoric acid at diluted to 20% You should be able to buy all these at your hardware store. I would allow all of them to dwell for at least 10 minutes with the exception of the phoshoric acid I would let it dwell for 30 seconds then wash it off as it tends to leave a white insoluable residue if allowed to dry. You will be able to get these off with cold water provided you have the "Right Chemical" at the right concentration. But as Orangecrest suggested ultimately hot water will make it quicker.
Hope this helps,
Jason

squirtgun

I would wager to say Alvaro has one of the few PWing companies in Portugal (I think that is where he is from)It's also my understanding that he has only been in the industry for a short time and is trying to do the best quality work he can with the equipment and chemicals that are available to him.
Remember we all started somewhere,and for a great many it was not with a hot water skid and the best chems money can by.It takes time to grow and learn.

Professional answers should not include the comment "Didn't think,or care" .It would have been better to not reply at all,rather than try and insult someone who is trying to learn.

Alvaro look back at some of the older posts on this BBS and other and see if you can find an answer.Seems as though a mild muratic acid wash and some kind of paint thinner would do the job.Be sure to bid accordingly, as the job may take longer than you think it will.

O

OrangeCrest

Actually, I have had great sucess with citric acid on removing overspray and areas where painters tried to wipe up there spills on concrete.

Citric acid won't etch the cement and you won't have chems that will get you in trouble running down the street...

Dan S

Nice answer Jason.

Alvaro, sometimes you gots to take these answer's like a grain of salt....................If you dont you will go beerzerrrrrrkkkkkkkk I mean really man you will get your giggy in a biggy and loose your cool real quick.

Just use any good restoration chem. that is available to you in your area . see if you can get hooked up with some supplier's in your area and ask for samples...........YES it can be done with a cold machine.

I wish `ya luck ......if `ya have any more questions feel free to post away!!

alvaro

PHP:
Alvero is in Europe, and it may well be a bit harder to get hold of the right equipment.
Oneness, you can imagine how hard!
PHP:
Cement drops- Hydrochloric acid diluted at 5:1, Water based paint - try using aerosol cans of oven cleaner, you may other wise try turpentine if it is oil based. limestone - CLR (Calcium Lime Rust: brush this on straight) or oxalic acid at 10:1 disolved in hot water then brush/ broom it on, or Phosphoric acid at diluted to 20% You should be able to buy all these at your hardware store. I would allow all of them to dwell for at least 10 minutes with the exception of the phoshoric acid I would let it dwell for 30 seconds then wash it off as it tends to leave a white insoluable residue if allowed to dry. You will be able to get these off with cold water provided you have the "Right Chemical" at the right concentration. But as Orangecrest suggested ultimately hot water will make it quicker.
Jason,thanks for your great answer. Every time I read your posts I learn a lot, Thanks for that also!
PHP:
Professional answers should not include the comment "Didn't think,or care" .It would have been better to not reply at all,rather than try and insult someone who is trying to learn.
Yes I'm from Portugal.
Squirtgun,I couldn’t agree with you more! I am in fact one of the few companies in my country (started on the 7 of June), so, theres’s now way I could learn this business if it wasn’t for this boards. And right now, I’m working my butt off to provide the best service possible.Thank you for your kind advice. :)
PHP:
Didn't think
Orange, dont worry. In time you might be able to.
PHP:
Alvaro, sometimes you gots to take these answer's like a grain of salt....................If you dont you will go beerzerrrrrrkkkkkkkk I mean really man you will get your giggy in a biggy and loose your cool real quick.
I know :rolleyes: Thanks Dan

oneness

squirtgun said:
I would wager to say Alvaro has one of the few PWing companies in Portugal (I think that is where he is from)It's also my understanding that he has only been in the industry for a short time and is trying to do the best quality work he can with the equipment and chemicals that are available to him.
Remember we all started somewhere,and for a great many it was not with a hot water skid and the best chems money can by.It takes time to grow and learn.

Alvaro look back at some of the older posts on this BBS and other and see if you can find an answer.Seems as though a mild muratic acid wash and some kind of paint thinner would do the job.Be sure to bid accordingly, as the job may take longer than you think it will.

Thanks, Squirtgun...I was trying to come up with a way to say basically what you said without calling someone a pompous a******. Ooops, guess I did anyway. :)

Oh, C'mon Larry, stop deleting my post. I didn't even cuss this time. Get a grip, man!

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
I've got a grip man,don't push your luck,I'm tired bady sitting name calling post.

If you want to help,help and leave the name calling out.

oneness

Larry L. said:
I've got a grip man,don't push your luck,I'm tired bady sitting name calling post.

If you want to help,help and leave the name calling out.

I thot I wuz heelping. Whut doo yoo meen don puch mi luk?

Whut, ar yoo goin too bann mee?

I suppose it is ok to beat the hell out of someone as long as I don't use a bad name? I've seen you and your crew beat the living crap out of folks time and time again because you think they're against you, or you disagree with their perspective.

I'm tired of the bady's (???) acting as if their way is the only way, and they are the ONLY one professional enough to do the job right. The response from Orange was uncalled for. I suppose, though, since he's one of your buddies it is ok for him to call another contractor unprofessional, but I can't call him a pompous a-hole. Whatever, guy. If you're happy being you, more power to you.

O

OrangeCrest

oneness said:
The response from Orange was uncalled for.

The smart response from Alvaro deserved a reply in the same tone... Wouldn't you think?

As for Larry, leave him out of it. You don't even know if he was the one who deleted your reply.

I suggested that Alvaro sub it out to another contractor... Big deal... If someone asked me to do something that above my ability, I give it to another contractor who can handle it: saves face.

Come back with a smart remark, expect one to come back.

Did you miss your dosage today or has your prescription run out?

It's time to either up your dosage or get it refilled, because you are pissing on yourself, and it isn't pretty...

alvaro

OrangeCrest said:
The smart response from Alvaro deserved a reply in the same tone... Wouldn't you think?

As for Larry, leave him out of it. You don't even know if he was the one who deleted your reply.

I suggested that Alvaro sub it out to another contractor... Big deal... If someone asked me to do something that above my ability, I give it to another contractor who can handle it: saves face.

It's time to either up your dosage or get it refilled, because you are pissing on yourself, and it isn't pretty...
Ok, I could answer to that, you would answer to me, and so on, but I didn’t post to start a war here. I have a life.
I just don’t understand something: I think in the very beginning, every job is probably above one’s ability. If I’m gona sub every job I get, what’s the point on even getting started? I’ll know for sure I’ll never be a pro!!
The few jobs I’ve done so far, here above my ability, but I think I did my best, took my time and was very careful not to damage someone’s properties and I did it(the job,not the damage :) ). I think it’s the only way to learn the job (along with these boards). But what do I know?
Anyway…Orange, no hard feelings.

Last edited:

oneness

OrangeCrest said:

I wasn't referring to his question "What makes you think I would appreciate that response". The guy asked how to do something with the tools available to him. Knowing absolutely nothing about his situation, you essentially tell him he's not capable of the job (something refuted by the responses of other, apparently more experienced contractors here and on other boards). Even his response to your silly answer wasn't a smart response.

OrangeCrest said:

First, I'm sure Larry doesn't need you to defend him. Second, I do know it was larry who edited my post initially, so it follows that he's likely the one who deleted it after I re-edited it.

OrangeCrest said:

No, you tossed out an insulting and unprofessional response to someone you know nothing about but assumed you knew enough to determine he wasn't experienced or professional enough to do a job. According to several other experienced contractors, he CAN do this with cold water and the right chems...which was his question in the first place. The good thing is, this is the ONLY place where he was given a non-constructive insulting answer like yours. Basically what you'd expect from some of the folks who live here.

OrangeCrest said:

Which would explain why this post didn't end with your inital smart remark.

OrangeCrest said:

It doesn't take drugs, or a lack of them, to spot a sad little self-important "know it all". Oh, I wonder if Larry will edit your post with this little insulting tidbit. Probably not.

OrangeCrest said:

What isn't pretty is a supposedly professional contractor being so blatantly unprofessional and unhelpful to someone who is new in this business and who is doing everything he can to learn to do things the right way with what he has to work with. As Scott pointed out, we all started as newbies with virtually no knowledge...Except you, of course.

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Why be disservice to each other.

I read it as tho to sud out but I wasn't looking for something to call any body names as some do.

Nothing more then wasted space in some of the post not counting the time wasted in learning to be a better man to his service.

O

OrangeCrest

alvaro said:
<b>Ok, I could answer to that, you would answer to me, and so on, but I didn’t post to start a war here. I have a life.
I just don’t understand something: I think in the very beginning, every job is probably above one’s ability. If I’m gona sub every job I get, what’s the point on even getting started? I’ll know for sure I’ll never be a pro!!
The few jobs I’ve done so far, here above my ability, but I think I did my best, took my time and was very careful not to damage someone’s properties and I did it(the job,not the damage :) ). I think it’s the only way to learn the job (along with these boards). But what do I know?
Anyway…Orange, no hard feelings.</b>

No problems here... You have to make due with what is avaliable.

"... I’ll know for sure I’ll never be a pro!!..." The way you become a pro is like you said, "...I think it’s the only way to learn the job (along with these boards)..."

Good luck, hope it works out for you...

Last edited by a moderator:

Our Sponsors