Share newsletter content.

Well I finally started kicking out my own newsletter and someone made a comment about it being difficult to put it out each month. They were quite correct...LOL

I have an idea though to make it easier. Many of us are a looong way from each other and won't actually be competing against eachother. What sharing our information, articles and other stuff with each other? This way we could all use the same information after changing company names ect. and it would require less time to do so. This is just a suggestion and for those of you that aren't interested I understand. For those of you who would like to do this email me and let me know. I've got lots of old articles and other stuff that I've written along with stuff I've found on the net than can be used as long as the writer is credited.

If your interested in helping each other out with this let me know. My goal is to be able to use a newsletter and my website to it's fullest potential. I have over 10,000 clients and I know if I email them with information and a special each month I would keep all my crews busy year round without having to spend a dime on ads in newspapers, the phone book or any of the other places I spend so much money on each month.

If you want an example of something I wrote for a local paper that you can use, let me know. I would be happy to email it to you so you will know that I'm serious about this.

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
That's a really good idea Henry! You are welcome to use this forum for research and if we could help in some way let us know.

Dan Flynn

Well I haven't really thought it through that far yet..lol I just wanted to see who was interested in doing it. We could share our stuff here on the board or we could just send stuff in email to those that want to contribute.

What do you all think?

Send me your email addresses and I'll email you a bit of what I have. Anything I send out your welcome to use in your newsletters.. Just make sure if someone else wrote it that you credit them as the source.

henryshousework@comcast.net

Well Reed and both Dan's, can we find some way to get other people involved in doing this also.

Should we post our material in this thread or in some other area.

Dan this is your board so I'm not sure how you want to set this up and if there is allready information on here somewhere that can be used for newsletters. For example, if there are posts on the board that we think could work in a newsletter, do we need to contact each person or is it necessary to do so? I don't want anyone to feel like were stealing anything from them but also most people on the boards do copy information like home made recipes and such to try out.

Here is one of the articles I wrote for a local paper to get this kicked off.
Anything I have personally written can be used by anyone and it's not necessary to quote me as the writer. (I'm not that good..lol)

If I post something written by someone else I will list the person that wrote it and you will have to do the same. Most of that kind of stuff are articles from papers that I've found like the one on artillery fungus.

I'd also like to point out that all the articles do not have to be about power washing or anything in particular. Just something that you think people may want to read about. if we pack our newsletters selling our power washing services people won't want it. We have to give them something that they are interested in also. Possibly home repairs that they can do on their own home, suggested checklists for different seasons, a reminder service to remind them when to do things like gutter cleaning or power washing would be fine.

The Art of Pressure Washing

Pressure washing may seem like something that's easily done to remove mildew and mold from your deck, patios and siding. However, many homeowners have found that there is quite a bit more involved than just renting a machine and blasting it off your property. Over the years it’s become a skill that most homeowners have decided they don't have the time or patience to learn how to do it properly.

Since the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) started banning the use of pressure treated wood due to chromated copper arsenate (CCA), most people have decided to seal their wood decks as the EPA suggests to prevent the arsenic from leaching into the soil. Most homeowners use local companies to pressure wash their decks and siding to save valuable time and the expense of rental equipment and some prefer to do the job themselves on a hot summer day. If you decide to hire a contractor to perform the work for you, there are a lot of important questions you need to ask before you should allow them to work on your home. First, make sure the company your hiring has the experience and the right equipment to perform the job properly, using more than 1,000 PSI or less than 4gpm can cause damage to wood. In Maryland, your also required to have a Maryland Home Improvement License (MHIC) for sealing decks or any repairs and it must be listed in all advertising and vehicles.
Make sure that any contractor you hire has a copy of this license and a long history of performing work in the area also; check them out with The Better Business Bureau. Another way to protect yourself is to use a company with certifications and affiliations in their industry like The Power Washers of North America.
The PWNA is the recognized leader in developing and communicating the highest standards in ethical business practices, environmental awareness, and safety through continuing education and active representation of the membership. PWNA educated and trained contractors raise the level of professionalism and value to their customers, and run a National Clean Across American project from July 24th-31st for various charities. For information about this project see their website at www.pwna.org

Unfortunately, many homeowners have tried using an unlicensed or inexperienced contractor offering a lower price, in some cases this may end up with the job uncompleted or worse, done improperly causing thousands of dollars in damage.
It will cost more time and money to find the right contractor for you but it could cost far more, to hire a company without the proper experience or to do the job yourself. For example, most people don't know that using household bleach to remove the mold and mildew from your deck will actually damage the woods lignin fibers. Or that too much pressure can also damage the woods surface and cause it to splinter or fur. To many companies have decided they could tackle it without the proper training and with most machines putting out an average of 3,000 PSI it can be dangerous to the operator and your property. Properly learning the techniques and training for cleaning wood takes time, training and a long-term investment, each deck or house is different and they all require special attention. First you have to find out if there is an existing sealer or stain on the deck and how to remove it properly. Very similar to painting, deck sealers and preservatives won't properly adhere to a wood surface that has an existing sealer on it. First this product must be removed from the deck using a stripping agent and you must take steps to ensure that the stripping agent will not harm the plants or siding on the home. Most deck stripping agents have a sodium hydroxide base that will remove the existing sealer or stain and then it can be washed off with a pressure washer using a maximum of 1,000 PSI. When using a pressure washer you must clean with the grain of the wood the entire length of the board. By varying your distance from the wood or not going with the grain you may cause marks and discoloration in the surface. If done carefully, this will leave you with a clean surface for the next step.
Now that you have used a deck stripper to remove the last sealer, the surface must be neutralized so the sealer will absorb and adhere to the wood. Wood and other surfaces can be neutralized using citric or oxalic acid to bring them to a neutral Ph level, Oxalic acid will also remove tannin or leaf stains and also those iron or rust stains from rusting furniture. Now your wood surface is ready to be sealed and there are many other options to consider. The various sealers can be confusing to some but it’s important to use a product that has ultraviolet protection from the suns rays. Most sealers have some UV protection, various oils to moisturize the wood and mildew prevention to fight the growth of mildew and mold. The best UV protection can be found in sealers that contain a pigment or stain, almost all of these products form a film on the woods surface, that may wear off with foot traffic or pets, they are semi-transparent allowing the woods natural grain to show while adding a tint of color to the surface. They will also help blend the over all color of the wood if some of your lumber has a different shade than others. You can also use products with solid colors, which don't allow the natural wood grain to show through and in most cases they usually appear to be painted when completed. Then there are preservative-based deck sealers that will penetrate into the wood. These products come in clear and different stain colors and they tend to last the longer because they penetrate into the wood. This allows the oils in the sealer to penetrate into the wood, which keep the wood from dry rotting, cracking, and also blocks the suns UV rays. These preservative sealers will hold up twice as long as the surface film forming agents and they will extend the life of the wood.

Pressure washing siding may seem safer to take on yourself but if you don't have the proper tools and experience it could cost far more than you intended as well. Some of the most common mistakes made by homeowners and contractors are trying to remove the powdery coating called oxidation on aluminum siding. Removing this coating can cause discoloration and in some cases cause the siding to look like a completely different color. Using too much pressure can also force water up behind the siding where it will cause mildew behind the siding or in some cases, blow the siding off the house! Washing the house from the top down or letting chemicals dry on the house, which may leave streaks on the siding. Using a ladder to clean the upper areas of a house can result in serious injuries and death from slipping off the ladder.
These are the types of mishaps that many people have when attempting to do a quick power washing of their home. If you decide to use a power washer on your home, we would be happy to tell you how to do the job safely and correctly or to find a reputable and experienced company.

Henry Bockman
President, Henry's Housework Inc.
MHIC#65039 Licensed, bonded and insured.
www.Henryshousework.com
301 353 9287

Dixiedrifter

Lets take things a step further shall we.

Ok lets say we go out and offer to give away an elcheapo power washer via drawing. A great place would be to set up your drawing box would be at a gas station. You would give the gas station a discount rate on their flat work for the opportunity to set up your drawing box in their store.

On the entry form, you would have a box to check for a free subscription to your news letter.

The newsletter would be broken up into 4 monthly features, each consisting of a generic "how to" say one on deck cleaning, house washing, driveway cleaning, etc. In the letters, you would give out a description of how you clean various surfaces the pitfalls of doing your own and all the while subliminally selling yourself in several ways by offering:

1. A go to source to have the clients pressure washer needs taken care of in case they decide a purchasing a smaller unit is just not worth it,

2. A source for professional chemicals and accessories

3. A source for consulting, along with videos and other multimedia instuctional material.

Now then, hopefully the results of this would be:

1. You would get a direct marketing targeted audience with names and addresses of customers who do not have pressure washers who are interested in cleaning their stuff.

2. Your newsletter would be a sales tool and would help discourage clients from going out and buying their own once they realize how complicated things can become and why you can do it better than they can for less than you.

3. What potential clients go out and decide to do their own will come to you to buy or rent accessories such as extension wands, surface cleaners, nozzles, chemicals, and instructional materials that they cannot obtain from the major chain stores.

Hey Dixiedrifter,

Those are great ideas but i'd say they were more than one step further..lol

That could be a great idea to those of you that are distributers also and I probably have some stuff that would help for the newsletter part of it but I honestly have NO desire to sell products or anything along those lines. I do sell stuff to local companies on occasion when they run out of oxalic acid for example but that's about it.

Your idea is very similiar to what I see in malls a lot with a free car or vacation, they are all marketing techniques to find people that can be marketed.

Does anyone have any other ideas or material that can be used in a newsletter?

reedsterstl

Great article Henry, do you have a hard copy of it? This may be an article that could be shared with others to promote Legitimate PW's and have them submit it to their local papers. This is the kind of article that really needs to get out to the public.

I will think more about where to put our articles and wait for Dan's reply.

Reed

Hi Reed,

Yes, I can print it out and fax it to you if you want it.
I'm also working on a new page for my website which will show what kinds of damage can be done to decks when the DYI's or inexperianced companies and people do powerwashing jobs.

I think it's important for people to see how much damage and expense can be involved when they try doing this themselves.

Hey Reed,

You can copy and paste it right from the board if you want then stick it in any application you want.

If for some reason you can't, send me your email address and I'll email you a copy of it.

For those of you that are interested in doing your own newsletters, I've run acrossed a company called constantcontact.com that has a really nice and easy setup for doing newsletters. They are cheap and I really like the layout and the way it works.
I'm also trying to find people that would be interested in trading content for newsletters. If your interested in doing this let me know. My goal is to send out a newsletter each month to everyone I can. This will keep my company name in front of people and to expand with very little cost.

If you have any questions let me know.

Our Sponsors