Restore.

D

degraffreed

Has anyone here used this deck cleaning product called Restore from E-spec?
If so what are your thoughts on its erformance. I am planning on purchasing some for my deck cleaning jobs, instead of using homemade mixture of Simple green and sodium hypoclrite.

I heard the key ingredient is sodium percarbonate. An oxygenator for weather decks.

DeGraffreed [hello]

onecallpowerw

Your best bet.....

Use sodium percarbonate straight with a brightener after.

I know you called but I have not been getting in until real late. Needless to say I will eventually give you a call. How late can I call you ? Let me know.

Aplus

Straight sodium percarbonate is not the best choice for cleaning decks. There are other ingrediants blended in that are responsible for giving it a good kick.

D

degraffreed

Thanks for the response gents. But from my understanding Restore is a sodium percarbonate? I will look at the ingredients later tonight.

Degraffreed

Aplus

You may see other ingrediants like sodium metasilicate, sodium tripolyphosphate, or soda carbonate(soda ash) mixed with the percarb. These additional chems are what give the percarb based products a kick.

Check the msds to see what's in it.

Straight sodium percarbonate is usually not aggressive enough.

I went out to the Restore distributors website, and didn't see an msds.

The Restore has got to be better than bleach & Simple Green.

My gut feeling is the Restore will likely provide satisfactory results. Other products may provide even better results.

Order the Restore and report back your results. If it doesn't work well, then consider you took one for the team....... [hello]

D

degraffreed

Hey Gents. Back with the results for the Restore.

This stuff is GREAT GREAT GREAT. I used it this weekend on my deck and man Wow. I will not use any homemade mixture again. I had previously did my deck with a mixture of bleach and simple green. The result were okay but it left the deck a whitish color. Not the original pt look. Used this restore mixture( still exper. with the right measurement though), put on the deck,dwell for 15 min, then rinsed lightly. Apply second coat( brightner) coat and BAM... back to the original color of the deck.

I will try and figure out how to post pic and show you guys since your always helpful to me.

Can anyone tell me how much is 1 pound of powder in cups?

The instructions say 1/2 to 1 pound of powder to 1 gallon. I may have used more than needed, since I do not have a scale or know if the measurement equals 1 cup or 2 cups. But what the hell I winged it and the results were great. Any one know where I can find measurements conversions at on the web?

Degraffreed

Aplus

There is no standard conversion. Different powders weigh different amounts.

If you can weigh out a pound, pour it in a plastic cup, and mark the cup with a permanent marker so you know where to fill to next time. Actually, nail polish works better to mark the cup, it lasts longer than marker ink.

Good luck.

D

degraffreed

Thanks A+.

I will take your suggestion and implement by the weekend.

DeGraffreed

onecallpowerw

For the record

A plus is correct on sodium percab if you are trying to clean a deck that has exsisting stain. We use sodium percab only on grayed decks. Do we add anything to it ? Absolutely not. Only after the cleaning do we also use a brightener. And once again, this is not absolutely needed on every cleaning.

So, A PLUS, to make a statement that sodium percab is not the best way to clean decks. I disagree if it is just grayed.

Besides, the more harsher chems you use, the more damage you can cause to the fiber etc......

D

degraffreed

Hey Gents, I also wanted to let you guys know of a slight mistake on my part in using the Restore last weekend. I used two applications of the Restore... One to use as a cleaner step, then used again after I used a water hose to clean off the deck.

I then used 1000 psi.. this was a tip that a local dealer said would drop my 3000 psi down to 800. When I used these tips, my gauge still shows about 1200 psi. So I still can not figure that out but thats another thread.

Meanwhile as I am using my pw I noticed that the deck looks a little fuzzy. I took a closer look and noticed that I may have had the tips to close to the deck during the final rinsing. I will have to use my sander this weekend to fix. Just wanted to let you gents know of this mistake and my learning curve. Glad it was my deck and not the customers.

Degraffreed

onecallpowerw

What you speak of.....

What you speak of is furring. This can happen even at the lightest pressure. You will be doing the right thing by sanding. Also, you should not control your pressure through tips. Always use your unloader in combination with your pressure gauge. I do not have a clue as to what someone sold you but I have never heard of a tip to control pressure. I could be wrong but know the proper way is through the unloader. I would also suggest that you use a 40 degree tip on wood.

squirtgun

I would guess the 1000 psi tip being referred to is a 10 gallon tip.On a 5 gpm machine this will drop the pressure quite a bit.Never use you unloader to drop your pressure,doing so will cause premature wear on the unloader,pump and engine.We use 4010,8010,4012,8012 and several other large size tips to drop pressure for wood cleaning.

D

degraffreed

Thanks Sqiurt,

I know from reading the past post, that you should never adjust the unloader for pressure drop. Use diffrent size tips.

I went to the local pw dealer and my machine is a 3000psi 5 gpm Rascho and she gave me a size 10 tips. When using them I went and looked at my pressure gauge and it reads about 1200. Dealer said the pressure gauge sometime have in accurate readings. I am thinking I need a size 12 tips, am I correct in order to get down to 800 psi?

Degraffreed

D

degraffreed

Squirt

Are you correct in saying you use 8010, 8012 tips. I was unaware that you could get a spray pattern greater that a 40 degree.

DeGraffreed

squirtgun

12's and 13's should get the pressure down that low.Get the 40 and 80 degree if you can find them.They cover a larger area.
The larger sized tips also work great when rinsing concrete.

The 80 degree is hard to find.I got ours from Steven Rowlett.

Last edited:

Dan S

I always use different tips ..........Have been for years
The only time I touch my un-loader is when I put a new one on ......about once a year.

You can do it with the unloader but that is a primative way and if you are not carefull you can spike the pump.

onecallpowerw

Learn something new.....

WOW, there ya go....Learning something new everyday...... We have always used the unloader to adjust the flow. Never any problems. In 8 years, we have only replaced 3 unloaders (2 units). And I am not so sure this was due to increasing/decreasing the pressure through the unloader. I could be wrong but 3 unloaders in 8 years aint bad in my book.

Dan S

Dont pop a boner Gord

I was'nt trying to say you do it wrong ............each to their own.

I like the nozzels better
you like the unloader

whoopieeeeeeeee

D

degraffreed

Thanks Gents.

You guys are full of information. Some good, some not, but hey we all have to find what works for us.

DeGraffreed

Aplus

Regarding the use of sodium percarbonate (sp) for cleaning decks.....

If you look at every commercially prepared deck cleaner that is sp based, you will notice that other ingrediants are included. These ingrediants give the sp more power, add surfactants, and other things.

When using the commercially prepared products, experience will eventually tell you how much product needs to be mixed with the water to achieve the results you are looking for.

I have used several of the commercially prepared products, as well as tested with sp straight from a pail. In all cases, the prepared products out-performed the straight sp, at least from my point of view, which is:

1. Less products was needed.
2. Less dwell time was required.
3. SP mixes best with warm water, however it can be mixed with cold, but is difficult to mix well in stronger dilutions.

I still stand by my opinion that straight sp is not the best choice. Will it work? Absolutely, just not like other products do.

Our Sponsors