Should I relocate my business????

clean girl

[hello]
It's nice to have such a great forum for our industry!!!! Maybe someone could help me with a tough decision. I currently own a small business in Central Florida and love it. I started it mainly to provide my father with an alternative to his current work since he is nearing retirement age and wanted something less physically demanding and with more flexibility........not to mention "SHOW US THE MONEY!".

Its been great so far for us. We only do commercial work ie., sidewalks and compactors. Now on to the dilemma; my husband's company has asked us to relocate to NJ (don't panic yet my fellow NJ comrades) but we don't have the specific locale yet. I have the opportunity for a much larger contract there than we currently have here. That part sounds great since it will allow my father and myself to work full-time. But I need some inside information to help make my decision:

1. I found out from my business contact that he currently pays about 50% more than I usually charge down here.......Why? I know I'm not underpricing myself here. Is insurance more expensive? I carry 1 million and pay about $1200 annually. I know NJ is a huge union state (FL is not) so is there a pressure washing union involved? I don't want to be the guy, er... GIRL actually, that moves in and undercuts the local industry so before I give him my numbers I want to make the most informed decision possible.

2. How long does the work season last up there anyways?
The more I think about it, maybe it's mostly the weather. The nights are great here to work. I'm having trouble imagining myself working in near freezing weather. I know my father doesn't like the cold weather so he will be spending the winter months back in sunny FL [wsmile] . Sorry for all the words but just needed to get that all out there. Thanks.

CaroliProWash

Sounds like you have an opportunity to have the best of both worlds....higher pay when it's not 110 degrees in the shade (if FLA has shade trees left) then with dad flying south with the rest of the snowbirds...work your winters down there. Most of the northern folks that I've read posts from work enough during the "in" season that it carries them through the winter months. If you can do both states, you and your dad can both retire.

Just a thought (a female one)

Celeste [hello]

clean girl

Thanks for the thoughts Celeste. I'm actually going to miss the weather in FL since we don't do anything during the day. The nights are perfect to work. I plan on visiting NJ the first weekend in November so I'll be getting my first taste of the NJ climate.
All My Best,

Terry [wsmile]

Our Sponsors