Problem Truck Owner!

E

Ed@PreClean

I had a guy call at 10:15 PM the night before last and wanted me to wash a truck and acid wash an aluminum cattle trailer, steam clean and degrease under the hood and frame rails and trailer inside and out. I got there at 10:30 AM yesteray morning (Up in the hills better known as BFE) and found a 1/2 acre lot, somewhat muddy right next to a busy gravel road, with no water available. I usually ask if water is available but since he woke me up I forgot to ask. He only had a well and didn't want to use his well in fear his pump would burn out. I carry 325 gals and had 0 since the temp was freezing the night before, I had drained it. The outside of the truck was not to bad but underneath was a mess. The cattle trailer was dirty and still full, of course, with cow shit. I told him it would take 3-4 trips to get water to do the whole job and a price was agreed on. I drove the 16 miles back home and filled up with water. I got back at 12:30 and started washing the underside. I used 1 1/2 gallons of degreaser it was so bad. I kept crawling out and rinsing the exterior because the grease and dirt was all over everything. When I got done underneath my rainsuit, gloves and wand were COVERED with greasy dirt. I had about 75 gallons of water left and was affraid I'd run out if I started washing the outside. I called him and told him I needed a little more water to get the tractor done. I drove another 2 miles down the gravel road and got more water at his house. I returned and washed the tractor. He had polished tanks and wheels and NO ACID was used on them, chrome everywhere, duel 6 inch pipes you name it. I called him and told him I was done with the tractor and would return today to wash the trailer. Something popped up and I was unable to do it and called and told him I'd do it tomorrow, he said no problem. I walked in the door at 5:30 and the phone was ringing. It was the truck owner saying I ruined his polished tanks and the truck was still dirty. He also said I scratched the roof and gravel was on top as well. I had noticed the tanks had some bad spots on them before I started and didn't think anything of it. Nothing ever touched the roof but water and soap. Being within 30 feet of a busy gravel road I expect thats where the dirt came from. I have agreed to RE-wash the truck and to polish his tanks for him. :mad: :mad: :mad:
HOW can I protect myself from these kinds of people? Should I show them everything that's wrong with the truck before I start? Should I take pictures before I start?

ED

bMOORECL

Ed@preclean mad trucker

undefinedEd my first word to you,is friend,or family,customer.When you doing a job,thats mostly or a contract.Have a note book specially for these type of job,if so all your jobs.Walk your work area over with the customer.If you see any problem write it down.If your custormer is not ,with you.At the time you go out to enspect your future work.Write down any problem,than show the customer.Before you start.If all is well,have them to sign it.Also if the work you do ,is not going to make the job,look 80% better after you clean it,Tell your customer that before hand.(hey,I'll do the best I can do,but its not going to come out looking this way ,or that.)That way they know what to look for.Most of them will love you,for it.The Reason I made the comment, family,friends,customer.Pratice make...........That way it will be part of your normal work habit. But I wish YOU well. [wow] [green]

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Piss on him,I would not rewash the truck and polish the tanks for him b/c you want get no money from him,,piss on him.OR call Bruce,Larry, hmmm whats his name and see if they have ever washed for him as to see what type person our dealing with,he could be a BIG A$$O to all the new guys.

Put it this way...its your word againest his word whether the tanks where or where not,know what I mean.WE have several of that type persons around here,not as many as they used to be tho.Some of the stories Larry has told me about this type people made me more so in PISS ON THEM freaken redreck want-a-be cowboy truckdrivers.

I wash several picky cowboy truckdrivers trucks BUT I WILL NOT WASH A DIRTY NASTY POLISHED TRUCK THAT has not been washed in a year or so.The only way I'll wash a nasty nasty polished rig is for the understanding what and what may happen to his polished tanks and rims b/c of the baked on grime.I'm a truckwasher not a mircle maker when it comes to nasty on top of nasty.His business much be slow and needing a free wash with polished tanks too,lol.

E

Ed@PreClean

Yeh Larry I know what you mean. I guess the Army taught me to do the best job I can at EVERYTHING I DO. I don't want this one problem to ruin a reputation I am trying HARD to create. I have known this guy for about 25 years but never had any dealings with him. He use to be a Local Drug Head. Not sure if he still is. All he could talk about was how much he wanted for the truck and how nice it is, as he is trying to sell it. There were large rust spots under the paint, large places were the paint has come off. He is even trying to tell me I ruined his grill! I hate to say it but I lost sleep over it last night. I hated sucking up to him, one: because I know I didn't cause any damage and two: his past. I wish I could just count my losses and forget it but I'm not that way "YET"!

Ed

Scott Stone

I'm with Larry, life is too short.
Tell him to take a flying leap, he is just trying to get somethign for nothign, becuase he does not have any money. That is why he is selling the truck. Not worth the lost sleep.

Scott STone

Larry L.

(I don't want this one problem to ruin a reputation I am trying HARD to create.)

This one problem want hurt your reputation,other truckers aren't stupid when one is complaining about his wash job..as you say he already has a problem(drugs).

(I hated sucking up to him, one: because I know I didn't cause any damage and two: his past.)

I would not suck up to him b/c of (I) didn't cause the damge,stand your ground with him and demand payment for work already done,,that should shut him up,lol.

(I wish I could just count my losses and forget it but I'm not that way "YET"!)

Yeah know what you mean but if you stay in truck washing you'll soon learn to count you blessing and move on.Independent owners of one or two trucks are the hardest truckers to please when it comes to washing their polished,chromed out trucks.From now on when one ask you to wash his truck and if its nasty on top of nasty ask yourself why,it would be NO other truckwasher in the area will wash it b/c of his past record for not paying or cann't please him nomatter ifen you did bend over backwards and kiss it.

When he calls ask for money for what you have done done and he want call you back.....O it took me a few years before I could say piss-on-it and move on,you cann't please them all nomatter how good you are.

onecallpowerw

Be very careful and follow Larry's Advise

Just put it this way. Either you tell him to go **** himself or you end up having all the other truck drivers wanting to take advantage of you. They stick together like a pack of wild dogs..... They all know you probably did a great job.

Larry L.

Sorry about my attitude in my reply,those type owners used to be everywhere when I started.I have enough saleman in me I can see though things as to not let one of those type pull the wool over my eyes.Altho over the years I have seen them take avantage of new guys,I had thought most of them had gone out of bussiness but see they still roam the trade.That type owner sorta gets my stinger sticking out as you can see,its not only you but all the powerwashers in this area will suffer alittle b/c of his D'head ways.
All my accounts knows if any bitching is to take place it had better be bitched at me enstead of bitching to other accounts or drivers.If I hear any bitching other then the one doing so will be last on the list or replaced in a heartbeat,I don't take no crap from cowboy truckdrivers,just ask them lol.

Don't worry about it,pick yourself up and go on,your not the first new guy that got screwed in this area with that type owner.Besides he is going out of bussiness and not running up and down the road to tell everybody,know what I mean.

E

Ed@PreClean

Well I didn't go back and he didn't call again. I waited all day yesterday for him to call and put off work I had to do for a day. So I'm not only out what he owes me, I'm behind because of him. I decided at 3 PM to tell him to take a long walk off a short bridge if he did call! [idts]

Yes, he's selling out and opening a Pawn Shop in Ravenden, so he'll be running his mouth to all there (he's that type of guy). Just what we need around here another Pawn Shop for people to sell there belongings to buy more Meth, and burglaries will go up in that area too! One of my accounts (and good friend) is just across the street and he knows better.

LIFE GOES ON!

ED

PS: Larry you and I need to get together to shoot the bull. I may be in your neck of the woods tomorrow night. I have a store front to wash in Hoxie.

Our Sponsors