Dba

bmp

Just starting out and trying to figure out what to do. i.e. sole pro.- LLC - Incorp. I live in Mich. and just wondering what would be the best. I am starting out small because I have a day time job, but with the intentions to make it a full time career. Thanks for any advice Scott

E

Ed@PreClean

A DBA will NOT protect you in the event you are sued for some reason and the tax bracket is MUCH higher. They can take personnal belongings House, cars, etc... An LLC or Inc. they cannot but then you have all kinds of financial records to keep, taxes, licences. I personnally had an S-Type Incorporation (S is for Sole Prop.) If you get things rolling and the $$$ starts coming in you WILL need an Accountant especially if you employ others, it's simply too hard to keep up with all the tax stuff yourself. Been there done that!

Ed

onecallpowerw

Can not answer....

I do not think it would cover a part time basis. Our accounting firm recommended us to do this. You might want to check with your accounting firm. 1st thing you need to do is register your trade name and then file for an S Corp filing with the State that you belong to. Again, ask your accounting firm and they will be able to direct you.

Dave Olson

I started as a regular corporation. Went to Sub S the next year. I was working a fulltime job for the first 2-1/2 years.

I use an accountant only to file my end of the year taxes. QuickBooks has payroll software and makes it a lot easier to handle payroll taxes and reports. When I first started I was doing it all by hand!

Dave Olson

CaroliProWash

Didn't like the double taxing of the Corporation - an LLC gives us the ability to keep company and personal separate. The LLC doesn't pay taxes except on what it shows as profit at the end of the year. If we want to take a salary at the end of the year, we only pay personal income tax on that money.

Scott Stone

The sub S corp offers no double taxation, and liability protection. My sub S corp saved me $5000 in taxes the first year. You have to get a good accountant, as well. They are als well worth the money, IMO

Scott Stone

Muck Buster

I also went with llc,my attorney said for tax reasons especially in Arkansas the natural state more like the Tax State.Separates personal property and business,Inc i would have to pay taxes on incoming and out goping money,profit payroll,,,etc.Has been retty good for me,Main thing is a good acountant [rainbow]

Our Sponsors