trying to get started..........HELP

nived1

Hello,

Almost all the articles I read say the same thing. "Window washing is an UN tapped market". Why is that? Is that because people just don't care to have their windows washed? It is not a high priority in the home? Unlike vacuuming is.

I have 42 window washing businesses listed in the phone book, not to mention all the 1, 2 and 3 man operations that do not list.

Is there room for one more?

What about insurance? I hear it is expensive.

I was only interested in 1 story stores, not homes due to liability issues with going into the homes. Almost all the articles are saying do home, do homes, more money more money, but also more difficult to do.

I WANT to do this, I just am not sure how to break into it. I bought the equipment a year ago, I did business cards, invoices, estimate sheets and flyer's. I don't have a shirt or jacket with the company name on it though. I also do not have insurance (expensive).

I placed 1,000 flyer's, not one call.

I offered a free estimate and I offered 1 month free with a 6 month contract.

The really funny part of all this.............I don't even know what to charge!

I was going to guess at between $1.-1.50 per window, and 3.00 for the door. So if a store had 4 windows and a door (inside and out) I was going to charge 7.00 a visit.
I am guessing it would take me about 10 min with set up from the time I got to the job till I left. However, I was unable to test my time or my offers.

I got reasons like, the owner is not here, I will give it to them..........we do it ourselves..........we are in cut backs...........we have a service and are happy...............no thanks.

Any help.

David McDermott
See Clear Window Washing (created the name, but no business to use it with)
Milwaukee Wisconsin
414-423-1732 home
414-788-4193 cell

lafinancial

Do your friends/relatives!

Hey David, I just started a window washing business also. I got cards and everthing, but I am going to do my buddies and realtives homes for free, and in doing that, someone is bound to see me washing them and hence the "keeping up with the joneses" syndrome comes into play. I bet business gets going then!!!

S

Slim Pickens

Guys i have been in the buis for about 19 yrs you want to focus on the women not the men the women are the ones who like to see the windows clean. So word of advise is target the area where women go like supermarkets
hair & nail salons and so on hope this helps you.

imMac

"Good luck."

As for the 10 min. on your first comercial account. good luck hope you practiced first. My first day of actualy cleaning took 45 min. on first store 6 windows a double door and a small header over the door. made 8 bucks.
second wasn't much better. But it does get better. Practice practice practice.
Keep after it they will come.
So everyone keeps telling me.
Mac.

DrWhipIt

I strongly suggest you work with someone else for a while. It takes experience to get it right and be efficient, much like painting without the mess.

-Theres always room for one more unless your not any good at it!
- Homes are tough. Pickier customers. More stuff in the way (furniture etc.) but payoff is often better.
- Insurance is expensive but NECESSARY!
- 1000 flyers eh? One response in 1000 is typical for me, but that one job turns into 5 jobs quickly if you do a great job. I distribute about 10000 to 12000 flyers a year.

I worked off and on with my best friend for about 5 years doing residential work. That experince was priceless. I then did high-rise and commercial work for about 3 years, again, priceless. Then the company I was working for went belly-up so I went out on my own. What I'm saying is experience is key.

Feel free to e-mail me drwhipit@yahoo.com and I will give you all the advice you can take. I cannot imagine being successful without having some experience first.

Good luck.

crystalclear

What i did to get started was make flyers like you did but i put the pricing right on the flyers! I received about 7 calls for every 100 flyers i passed out! NO JOKE! You are going to work for cheap at first but thats ok cuz you need the practice. Then once you get better start charging more until you know you are good enough to get whatever the going rate is for your area. Then consider getting in the yellow pages. Thats the best way of getting customers for me. Now i have a good amount of commercial accounts and quarterly residential customers. In a matter of 6 months i am bringing in $7000 a month. I now get $200-$300 per home on average. Contact me if you need help, i dont mind helping anyone whos trying to get their business going!

Mark
Crystal Clear Window Cleaning
crystalclearclean@sbcglobal.net

Our Sponsors