Window washing

276dylan

Are there any chemicals that can be put on windows with an x-jet and just powerwashed off to clean them? Or do you have to scrub with a towell?

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Depending on how dirty the windoows
are you may need to scrub or brush
them, rinsing with deionized water
could reduce the need to squeegee windows.

crystalclear

If you are planning on cleaning windows for business i dont recommend coming up to the house or business and just spraying the windows. People dont like this too much, and actually say that even with the deionized water it still leaves spots. Now if you are doing it for yourself, you might be satisfied with those results.

imMac

If you are charging for the windows, I wold recomend learning to scrub and squeegee the windows. It takes a while to learn but you cant beat the speed of it and the lack of streaks and smears on the glass a squeegee leaves.
I have also heard that deionized water leaves some spots, but is acceptable for bigger buildings that would requrie a lift or swing to clean, due to the expence. but for a house stick with the tools.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Immac. [2cool]

RideIt

I just got into window cleaning, I thought the squeegee was pretty easy to use. Just remember to wipe it off with a lint free cloth and you should have no problems. I use water and a drop of soap and put it into a sprayer. :D

Micah

Rideit, instead of using a spray bottle to apply your cleaning solution to the window, buy a 'strip washer'. They'll help you out a lot. You can apply more liquid and scrub the window at the same time, rather then having to spray everything. You can also put the strip washer on a pole for high windows. Try to keep a good selection on hand. I have a 3, 6, 12, 18, and 22 inch. The unger microfiber are my favorite.

RideIt

I agree with you, but right now I am just getting by until I can afford to purchase everything.. I'm using this: http://www.parish-supply.com/pressurized_spray_tanks.htm and a sponge to clean with. I can't wait to get a pole!!

I just need a few more accounts. :D

My cousin's live in greenville. I should be up there for the FSU game this year or is it here I can't remember.. lol

Last edited:

RideIt

Micah said:
Rideit, instead of using a spray bottle to apply your cleaning solution to the window, buy a 'strip washer'. They'll help you out a lot. You can apply more liquid and scrub the window at the same time, rather then having to spray everything. You can also put the strip washer on a pole for high windows. Try to keep a good selection on hand. I have a 3, 6, 12, 18, and 22 inch. The unger microfiber are my favorite.

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask you if you used the one that slips on to you squgee or if you had a seprate one?

How much do you charge??

Micah

Rideit, a strip washer and a pole, along with your squeegee and a bucket, should be your basic tools when washing windows. I can't imagine how much extra time you're spending using a garden sprayer. HD sells a decent line of unger tools. You could buy an 18 inch strip washer and a 8 foot pole for under $30. These tools will VERY (10 minutes) quickly pay for themselves. As far as price goes, that varies. What kind of windows are you cleaning?

RideIt

I have a Monsoon Washer I put over my squeegee, but I find it a pain to take on and off. How do you keep your squeegee dry with the use of a pole??

HD are you refering to Home Depot??

Micah

RideIt, A strip washer is actually two parts, a fabric sleeve, and a a T-bar handle. Check out a few of the online window cleaning shops for pictures and maybe to order some. Using a squeegee and a pole takes some practice. For starters, when you are wetting the window, leave a small amount dry along the top edge, about a quarter of an inch if you can. This leaves a dry spot for your squegee to start. With practice, you won't have to dry your squeegee with a towel before each pass. Sorbo squeegees are great for pole work, but you'll just have to work with one to understand why. If you can, try to work with a window washer, or at least, wait at your favorite restruant until one comes and watch him. :) You can continue asking questions too, of course.

Yep, HD is Home Depot

drivewaysonly

I own and use often a Tucker water fed pole. I also carry on my truck a DI unit by culligan. There are methods employed to make certain windows dry spot free. i can wash french windows in a fraction of the time used by strip washer and squeegee. However, there is a serious cash outlay as well as a learning curve.
My point is, windows can be washed spot free using DI water. They cannot be washed by power washer and DI alone without spoting.
The pole I use has a tube for the water which comes out through the brush. This allows me to place the water where it is needed rather than all over the damn place. The water will NOT spot but the debris that does not get rinsed OR that collects on windy days in the watwer is what spots. So, if during the rinse, water hits the frame or area surrounding the window, it will carry that debris back onto the glass and spot.
My only regret is not being able to use this pole inside! :burn:

Our Sponsors