Is there such thing as too much Power???

smittie1984

When it comes to cars I believe there is no such thing as Too much power. That's like Too much money or Too much fun.

But I know that sometimes you can have too much. I have a friend of mine who owns a Billiard company. Where they move and service pool tables. They have a Basic Isuzu box truck with lettering on the side.

I actually worked for this company before I was injured. And unless my business suddenly takes off and I start making $800 or more a week I plan on going back once I recover from my injury.

Anyways I was thinking about going into fleet washing some what. I know a guys who owns a trucking company and I can get an acount with the billiard company. And possibly some more accounts.

Sorry to be stalling. But I have a 11hp belt driven pressure washer. Great for houses and driveways. But I feel is too powerful for fleet washing. I'm also worried about removing the side stickers. Some are pealing anyways.

But I was thinking about buying a 5hp honda direct drive pressure washer. Something with about 2500psi and 2.5gpm. I was wondering if that would be good for fleet washing. Also I think it would be good for applying chemicals at high pressure. My current set up won't allow me to apply chemicals at HP because it gets sucked up after the pump. And the unloader won't allow me to adjust and the chemicals only move under low pressure. Like I said. Great for houses but not fleet washing.

Anyways I just wanted to get some of your opinions.

Thanks Smittie.

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Smittie,

If the pressure is to high you
can use a bigger nozzle, that will lower
your PSI.

(Do a "Search" on this BBS for " Nozzle Chart")

The volume on your unit is definitely
not too high.

Larry B

Definitely use what you have but like mark said, lower the psi. I use around 1700 psi and 4.5 gpm and don't strip stickers or make paint chips worse. It would take forever to do fleet washes with a 2.5 gpm machine.

smittie1984

Thanks for the info.

I tried to find the nozzle chart. I can't seem to find it. But basically am I looking for a larger "orafice". I remember at Northern Tool I saw a WHITE tip that had an orafice of 7.5. The guy at Sun Brite showed me a chart that recomended for my pressure washer to have a 4.5 tip. I think it is 3000psi at 4-4.5gpm. But to get the lower PSI but maintain the GPM do I need a larger orafice? Also how will my unloader take it. I'm have a K7 uloader. And my pump works off of back pressure.

Is it really necesary to apply chemicals at High Pressure. Or can I apply it with my chemical nozzle at low pressure and let the chemical work then spray it off with the HP hose. Also do I have to scrub with a truck brush? or should the chemical be good enough to take off the dirt and grime without scrubbing. Remember I have a cold water system.

Maybe when I get a healed up a little better I can meet up with one of you and take a basic lesson in Fleet Washing.

Also what are some chemicals that are recommended? And how much do they cost. Also what would you charge for 1 box truck? A Basic Isuzu.

Larry B

I use a #9 nozzle. I have never had a K-7 but I believe that the proper way to lower psi with all unloaders is to use a larger nozzle and this maintains your gpm.
The most efficient way to do fleets is to 2 step. It is a method of very minimal brushing. Do a board search on 2 stepping and you will be able to read the definition of it and some pros and cons as well.
I downstream both chems under pressure and have no problems. I also have a cold water system, less maintenance and operation costs. I use a chem injector after the gun to keep it simple and nearly foolproof. Many of the fleet guys use a downstream setup with solenoids at the injectors and a switch on the gun to change chems The proper chems and application are what I beleive to be most important. Some people use a rollover style nozzle to apply chems as well. while others use a shurflo setup to apply one of the chems. I would be happy to try and answer some of the questions you might have, but I would try reading the posts first, as I there is a lot of information already there.

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
I run a 20hp 6gpm,apply my acids downstream and all soaps are run under HP.You hear alot of crap about what can and cann't be done as most will warn you never to run your soaps upstream.I've been running upstream soaps though the burner and pump for several years without any problems plus will advise you to work with what works for you.Your current set up can be plumbed for upstream soap,plumb a chemical line with a on and off valve to the intake on the pump.

Some had rather prespray their chemicals with as Larry B advised with smaller pumps and even pumpup ,backpack sprayers.

I love the 2-stepping way and will warn you it is the most dangerous way in fleetwashing to the human body.

Basic Box Isuzu will depend,from 6 dallors to 40,if it was on my route for the day I'd stop and wash it for 25/30.

Our Sponsors