Am I wrong...

PP wash

Hello,

Im new to this forum as well as the business so i have a few questions. The reason I entered this business was because of a neighbors father who hgad told me about how lucrative it could be. He simply said i put an ad int eh locla paper and my phone rings off the hook. I am 20 years old and was looking for a way to make a few extra $ to get me through college. Id be part time, one man operation and looking to make about 500-1000 a week. So to experiment i placed an ad and recieved a few calls. Actually I enough calls pay for the ad and the power washer so i felt it was a success. But as i read the posts on here I realize i may be out of my league with my equipment. I have a 2650 psi, 7 hp, 1 gpm. Now i priced each of my jobs, made about $50 an hour and was fairly successful for what I put into it. Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited:

PP wash

Yes, I started with freinds and family for about 2 weeks, got my businness lic., insurence and all permits needed, im just wondering if im going to need better equipment to compete, even tho im only part time and looking for house, deck, and fence jobs.

squirtgun

You can get the job done with the equipment you have now,however,it will not hold up to the day to day use.You can get a 3500psi/4.0gpm direct drive machine from home improvement store that will give you good service if you take care of it.Look to spend around $1000 or a belt drive for about $1200 to $1400.
Invest in an xjet,quality chems and extra hoses.You can build slowly.

PP wash

Thanks squirtgun,

That is my plan, start small and build as i make some money. I have another question about houses. Cleaning the second and third story is not easy useing a ladder, iv noticed mention of interchangable wands. Are these what you would use or do you use ladders as well? I have a guerilla ladder that creates a 4 foot scaffold. Thanks for your help.

squirtgun

Xjet and telescoping extension wands are the ticket for 3 and 4 story houses.Ladders and pressure washers really don't mix.Xjet can be bought for $99to $159 and an extension wand for $129 to $400.

CaroliProWash

I wasn't being negative - it's a valid question and important. Clearly, he knew the importance and got it and is now moving on to other issues in the proper order. PPWash, welcome to the bbs and the industry :) Don't be afraid of my hormones - I save them for Don :)

Celeste

PP wash

Haha thanks guys, I was a little annoyed when I thought I got some feedback and found someone checking my legality. It was a valid question, but anyway thanks for welcoming me to the bbs, this site is truly amazing for any newcomer to the industry.

CaroliProWash

I apologize if it seemed I was checking your "legality". So many new guys come onto the bbs asking about how they can make some extra money and unfortunately about half of them have no idea of what all is involved in this business, or business in general it might seem. (Sometimes before I get my coffee, I am more blunt than I normally would be as well :)) We offer assistance to about anyone - as long as they are serious about doing this right - so maybe I wasn't questioning your legality so much as your intentions in the industry. Our phone lines are always open if you want to talk rather than type sometimes as well :)

Celeste

Bufnwax

Good Luck PP

Hopefully you're sticking with this forum (and others) for info and assistance.
If you have a couple...I'd like to help a little! I've been in the biz for nearly, well geez, maybe a little too long...Some of the equipment issues we faced 40 years ago have nothing to do with current day problems...and yet, in many ways, there are some basics that remain.
GPM is your friend - the higher the GPM the more work you're gonna get done, period. Buying that "Big Dog" washer with 4000PSI is gonna get you in trouble quicker than you can say "insurance..." So, if you learn nothing else from this post remember 4GPM is the LEAST you want to work with. And 2,200PSI is the MOST pressure you want to deal with.
Secondly, sit down for a minute and consider your direction. Being in business for yourself requires dedication at the very least...But also will require you wear many "hats"...That's where it gets tough for some. So, firstly examine where you want to go with this...Is it extra money summertime stuff...or perhaps it might be the beginning of a fulltime job??? Think about this for awhile, because inevitably, it could determine which course you SHOULD take.
Lemme know...

CaroliProWash

Bufnwax said:
Secondly, sit down for a minute and consider your direction. Being in business for yourself requires dedication at the very least...But also will require you wear many "hats"...That's where it gets tough for some. So, firstly examine where you want to go with this...Is it extra money summertime stuff...or perhaps it might be the beginning of a fulltime job??? Think about this for awhile, because inevitably, it could determine which course you SHOULD take.
Lemme know...

This is an awesome point - we started with the intention of making a "lifelong" commitment to this industry....worked our tails off part-time (definition of part time is that Roger had to start at 7am and stop working at 2:00 everyday to go to his 40hr/week/bennies job) for 7 months then made the leap. Winters can be hard, and much harder in some places than others as well which made us seriously question our decision at times.

Celeste

Our Sponsors