rookie looking for advice

blazingpw

My name is Michael Bass and i'm from wilson,nc. I'm a firefighter here in wilson and i am looking to start a pressure washing business to do on my numerous days off as a side job. I hope to start out small. I had planned on washing cars because i already have numerous customers that i hand wash their cars. But i spoke to a gentlemen the other day and he stated that theres alot of money in building pressure washing. I know that there isn't alot of business' in wilson that perform either these services. I am wondering what kind of equipment i need and job pricing. I'd really like to start out small since it is a side job, so what exactly do i need to get started. Thanks!

CaroliProWash

Michael -

Send me your email address! We are holding a mini trade show / round table on September 24th here in North Carolina! I'll be more than happy to send you a registration form - It's in Burlington, I know that's not too far away from you :)

We also offer a "labor for learning" program - if you want to come work with us for a day or two, it gives you the opportunity to see and use various equipment and chemicals, etc...

Give me a call or send your email address - Welcome to the bbs!

Celeste

taselton2

GIVE ME A CALL AND I WILL HELP YOU OUT WITH ANYTHING YOU NEED. I WORK FOR THE TALLAHASSEE FIRE DEPT. (FLORIDA). E-MAIL ME SOME QUESTIONS OR JUST CALL. I HAVE BEEN FIREFIGHTING AND PRESSURE WASHING SINCE 1994. http://www.softwashing.com MY SITE IS NOT COMPLETE YET, BUT I'M ALMOST THERE. STAY SAFE!

blazingpw

Thanks alot Tim. By the looks of your website and your sample pics, it looks like you do an outstanding job. I've been in the firefighting business for about 4 years and I feel its about time to get off my tail and make some money on my numerous days off. Those days can get boring also. I have alot of questions since i'm new to this business.

(1)First of all what chemicals do i need for each application. Like what chemical is used for wood, vinyl, singles, tin, paint (houses and vehicles), concrete, etc. I know theres alot of chemicals that come in gallon jugs but i hear people talking about using acids and other strong sounding agents. What is used for what?
(2)Also how have u gotten most of your business. Here in wilson,nc of about 50,000 citizens, i only know of about 3 or 4 business' that do pressure washing so it seems there might be a high demand since so few do washing.
(3)How about pricing? I hear one guy say he can get $150 for doing a single story residential house and he can get up to $250-$300 for a two story house. What is a safe price range for each type of service to guarantee that I will get and keep customers?
(4) Does most chemicals do the cleaning? Is there anytime that i may have to scrub by hand to clean a surface?
(5) Is getting business insurance a thing i need to do first thing to cover myself or can i get by without it?

I'm sure that i will think of some more questions but i don't what to take to much of your time answering a hundard questions at once. But thanks so much for offering your knowledge. I'm sure i'll be asking for more advice. Thanks!
"Be Safe Brother!"

CaroliProWash

You definitely need to get insurance! If you're not starting up before the 24th, I can give you some info at the Round Table - if you're going now, I can give you my agent's name. Our GL carrier is Colony Insurance, our WC carrier is Liberty Mutual - you can use a local agent who writes for these companies.

Celeste

CaroliProWash

Michael,

Our Workers Compensation policy is set by the state - the minimum premium is $850 / year due to lack of experience, etc... They'll audit you for payroll for the first 2 years and bill you if have paid out any in payroll (which includes any "under the table", subcontracting, etc... you may do) It's about $14 per $100 that you pay. This premium is due in one big whack - no payments.

Our General Liability, we have $2M aggregate coverage is costing us around $1700 / year (they take monthly payments :)) You can get away with a policy for $300K but the difference in the premium is minimal, especially when most commercial work requires $1M and pays better!

Celeste

Our Sponsors