Hood/Duct cleaning prices

Todd

I will soon be adding Hood/Duct cleanings to my list of jobs. My Father-in-law has been in the business for 4 years already and I've decided to follow in his shadow. He has shown me how to clean them, explained what I'll need but he currently gets alot of his work sub-contracted to him through another bussiness associate. I have a great working knowledge about Hood/Ducts through my full-time job (Firefighter/Inspector) What I need advice with is how much to charge, and how to get the job? Do I just hit the pavement running and ask to speak to the managers or is there someone else I need to talk to above their level? I have the phone number to a Dist. Mgr. for all the Waffle Houses in my area. Would I be out of line to call him directly? I've helped my Father-in-Law on a few Waffle Houses and seen how long each Facility takes to complete. I believe the jobs sell for around $185 - $200 per facility. Does this figure seem fair? Also everytime we complete the jobs the Mgrs asked us if we wanted to clean the windows. How much $$$ is in window washing for a typical Waffle House? I know theres alot of Q's but I've got ambition and trying to set my family up nice when I retire from the Military.

Todd
B&B PRESSURE WASHING
Charleston,SC

Last edited:

Douglas Hicks

Do not use your FD work as a means to get exhaust work! That is unethical, and will upset all the other guys working full time as cleaners. you should discuss this w/the chief prior to starting your business. When I went to work as a full-time firefighter, I had already been in business servicing portable extinguishers. The chief and the captains and I had a discussion as to what was and was not appropriate for my off duty job. I was very carefull not to mix the two professions. The only complaint ever made was an unsigned letter from a nearby town. The chief and I disregared the letter because it was unsigned. I was also taking business away from a competitor who did not comply w/NFPA 10, NFPA 96, NFPA 17, NFPA 17A or OSHA. I felt hte competitor was responsible for the letter. I know of a fire extinguisher company only 75 miles away, the principle is a full-time captain. He has hired his now-retired father who used to be the inspector, to be a service tech. When Daddy was the inspector, he would often not issue a C of O unless his son was hired to place the fire extinguishers, even if the customer had made arrangements w/another company. By an odd coincidecnce, their work does not meet current standards. Also if your shifts are 24/48, that means you will only have one night to work, w/o comprimising your ability to perform your day job.

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

Todd

That did'nt even cross my mind. I was just saying that I had knowledge about hood/ducts. I'm in the USAF (enlisted) and work only on the Airforce base. I have no credentials with anything off the military installation. I work 24 on 24 off with my kelly day every other week. The waffle houses around my father-in-laws town require you to clean between the hours of 2pm-5pm. So no late night work for me...unless on K-day. When the time is right I plan on doing only work for the DOD. The Government has unlimited funds a requires monthly cleanings per the regulations. My military career pays the bills, pressure washing is our fun money and helping me put my wife through college (1 more semester left).

Todd
B&B PRESSURE WASHING
Charleston,SC

johnny

Around these parts, WH is cleaned by a company that charges $125.00 per service every 6 months, so it seems that different areas have different prices. It's hard to give a hard and fast rule. IMHO, a lot has to do with what they are used to paying and what they can stand to pay. Why not ask you father-in-law for some pricing help since he's already doing the work.

Todd
I have the phone number to a Dist. Mgr. for all the Waffle Houses in my area. Would I be out of line to call him directly

How would that be out of line to call the DM? Go for it and good luck.

Our Sponsors