Anyone ever used this HF?

YVPW

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else has used a product called Lume Brite? I did a search on Yahoo and a company in GA came up and the wording looks very similar to the HF that Sunbrite sells. It's a HF and Sulfuric blend. It says it can be metered at up to 100:1. I'm gonna try to get the MSDS tomorrow. The local person that I bought it from said he uses it as strong as 10:1 for brightening unpainted aluminum, I was wondering what strength to use as far as 2 stepping. I plan on using the ATLAS Truck Wash, non-caustic as the second step. How do you all think that will work? Do any of you all use a caustic second step? I was wondering how that would work, something like the Panel Bright or Brown Derby. Thanks for the help.

YVPW

I meant to say Eacochem instead of Sunbrite. The name on the container says it's from Fuquay-Varina, NC.

Larry B

While most aluminum brighteners are similar, they are not all equal in strength. Sometimes one of the big differences is foamers. Some acids foam(stick) better than others, if it just runs to the ground before doing its job it will make you use more and cost you more $$. The main thing is to try it and see how your usage goes. Good acid foamers are not cheap or easy to mix so some companies skimp a bit.
I would be very hesitant about applying at 10:1 on anything polished. I prewet the polished aluminm and apply my acid at 50:1 and clean with no problems. I do not use hot water or I could dilute to around 75:1. To dilute to 100:1 is for mostly clean trucks and maintennce washing, yet msot companies say they can dilute to that. I could say mine dilutes to 1,000,000:1, but could you clean with it?
I am not familiar with Atlas soap but most good soaps work well as a second step. I use my own caustic soap and have no issues with it at all. Some say caustics rust things but if it is unpainted on a truck frame it rusts anyway. An acid and caustic soap combo do work well together.

YVPW

I found out today from someone at the company that the acid is trong, it said it was not above 60% acid. They said I can 2 step with around 50-70:1, does that sound correct to you all? I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it, run acid through downstream, apply soap upstream. I just hate to keep running back to the machine. I know there are different things you can do to a machine to fix that problem. I've saw on some old posts that some have wired up different things to use. Do you all have any suggestions? My dual lance wand wants to shoot soap out the high pressure part and low pressure, when I open the valve by twisting it, any ideas on how to fix that? Thanks

YVPW

I called the place where the acid came from, the distributor and he had the msds and it said HF 15% and Sulfuric 15% and some other thing 5%.

Larry B

It sounds like it could be a decent product. You will have to try different ones to see what works the best. I have no experience with most of the back east distributors so I can't really help too much there.
I use an entirely different setup to spray my chems. I use a high pressure downstream injector hooked to both chems and a valve to switch between them. Not everybody likes it but I use it for speed and ease of switching between the two. If you are interested e-mail me and I will send you some pics with more info.

Larry B

YVPW, I don't think I got yours. I did respond to a couple of others. E-mail me and I would be happy to send you some pics and more information.

YVPW

Hey, sorry Larry for not being more specific. I was referring to northcoast about the e-mail. I finally found the 3-way ball valve that has 3 positions today and ordered one. So hopefully this upcoming week I can get it all together. Thanks

M

MPW

Hey Larry, can you post the pics about 2 stepping ruining the paint from other BBS?

north coast

YVPW

Sprry for the delay we have been in the process of moving our offices and shop to a new facilty so i have not had a chance to check my e-mail. Then to top it off the phone company screwed up the order to move the phone lines and did not install DSL so that will be another week if you want my home email is ericrfisher@wowway.com.

Larry B

I wanted to post pics. I just haven't figured out how. This BBS works the same as the other. It was meant to be a post on what not to do, not something I did. I took over an account that the piors were using acid at 10:1 and eating clearcoat on new trucks in about 4 washes.
I truly believe 2 stepping done correctly will not harm things.

Our Sponsors