Large fleet

Larry B

Here is a way that some of you can supplement your income. It is dirty hard work and most PW'ers don't want to do it. Once you get established in the construction group they tend to recommend you to others. Keeps the bank account in the black.

Attachments

• Scrpaers dirty.jpg
    Scrpaers dirty.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 185
  • Scrpaers 035 dirty.jpg
    Scrpaers 035 dirty.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Scrpaers 018 33.jpg
    Scrpaers 018 33.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 146

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Get out of my way I don't mind the dirty work all I ask for is plenty of water :)...job looks good.

S

steve r

Larry B said:
Here is a way that some of you can supplement your income. It is dirty hard work and most PW'ers don't want to do it. Once you get established in the construction group they tend to recommend you to others. Keeps the bank account in the black.
What chemicals are ya using with the hot water?

Larry B

I use the old fashioned 2 step method. I do that after I blast the dirt and degrease them. I also don't use hot water 90% of the time.

S

steve r

Larry B said:
I use the old fashioned 2 step method. I do that after I blast the dirt and degrease them. I also don't use hot water.
so the grease comes off with cold water .what chemical do you use.wouldnt hot water be better on the grease to melt it away?you must get pretty dirty with cold water being you have to get right up to it.

Larry B

I climb up and scrape the grease off of the joints etc.. Then I hit it w/ a degreaser, then wash it off. When blasting the hardened dirt off you got to get up close and personal. Yes you get very very dirty, eye protection is a must and ear plugs wouldn't hurt either.

Larry L.

If I wore eye protection I wouldn't be able to see what I was doing,I have music in my ear plugs.Its faster for me to use hotwater on the joints as to scape it off,for the harden dirt I use 5,6,8,10,12,15 degree zero tips.

Larry B

I agree Larry, eye protection is hard to keep clean but I hate rocks in my eyes too. I scraped a full gallon of grease off of three of those machines. The turning joints are the worst but by scraping it makes less of a mess.
Price depends on the customer and what they want. I get anywhere from $100-$350 depending on how clean they want it and how dirty it is to start with. Sometimes they only want it cleaned before it heads to the next job, other times it is a complete wash, underneath and degreased. Most of the wintertime work is a total cleaning so the service guy doesn't get paid big $$ to clean bolt heads and maybe pad his bill for all the dirt falling in his eyes.

Larry L.

Over the years I've dug enough grit out of my eye's to plant a M'tion full of watermelons.My price also "depends" on what they want,a dressup is cheaper than a full detail,I had rather do the dressup.

Larry B

Not a stupid question at all. 2 stepping is the application of an acid, followed by a soap and then a final rinse. The process saves time by eliminating scrubbind.

dannyh

so you use acid on heavy equipment after the degreaser? Is this just to brighten it or what?

Last edited:

Larry B

Yes it brightens it but it also removes the dirt film and oxidation as well. I don't degrease the entire thing just the bad spots.

Our Sponsors