Metal roof question

grasshawg

May have a chance to bid on a metal roof in the near future. Been reading up on some past posts, and didn't find anything that addressed my specific problem.
My question is about "colored" metal roofing. Is there any definite no-no's as to what chems NOT to use?
These things are supposed to be at least 26 ga. steel, which is plenty tough, but what about the finish?
I don't want to leave it in worse shape. What out there gets it clean without harming the finish?

grasshawg

Thanks, Roger. I checked it out. Looks worth a try. Also, it appears if it doesn't work, I won't have disaterous results. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again!

Larry B

Depending on what you are trying to remove. I have used truck soap on some and others only needed a house wash mix.

grasshawg

Don't they get the mildew and algae on them, too? I thought there were only certain things that will kill that stuff.

Larry B

Not so much mildew as I have seen algae on metal roofs. The house wash mix has bleach in it so it kills that type of stuff. Then again so will sodium hydroxide if it is strong enough.

grasshawg

Forgive me, but just to be absolutely clear, the bleach in the soap won't harm the colors on the roof? Or sodium hydroxide? Or trisodium phosphate?

Larry B

TSP is used by painter to dull the surface for better adhesion of the new paint. I would avoid it for cleaning a roof. Bleach dosen't harm paint and is usually the least likely to cause harm to the surface you are cleaning. Sodium Hydroxide based soaps are a good metal roof cleaning alternative but you should always do a test spot to be sure first.

Our Sponsors