Wet dry vac and pump?

metrowash1

I need something dependable and "price effecitve", (notice I didn't use the CHE*P word :rolleyes: ) to suck soapy-oily water after washing oil spots, etc.

Its a flat surface with grass on both sides, but some of the oil looks tough. I'll have several gallons of EPA unfriendly liquid. I'm going to look at some larger water tanks to put in the truck or on a pull behind trailer tomorrow for hauling the stuff and a 2nd tank for clean-rinse water that the Feds require if I recall correctly..

I found a 16 gallon wet-dry vac at a hardware store that has a built in pump. Wonder if that wold suit my needs?

Opinons please...just a newbie trying to be environmentally correct.

Yes, I've made arrangments with a friend who owns a coin-op carwash to empty the stuff into his pits. His system goes into the city sewer system and is obviously treated. Nice part is, he's a Police Officer, so I know he won't bother me! ha ha

D

Dave Ott

The only problem with the built in pump is that it can not handle it's own volume of intake. You may have to put a what's the word, oh whats the word. Darn brain fart. I only have many of them LOL. Someone finish this please LOL I must go eat.

Doug T

Not for sure what Dave is trying to say but, look at it this way. The spec's on your wet/vac and pump must be able to move the same amount of water as your P/W. If you are using a 5gpm P/W then your pump must be able to pump out the 5 gpm at the height of your storage tank.(I believe the plummers call that head pressure) Also your vacuum must have enough "lift" to suck up the water at the height you are using. If your vacuum is on your trailer or setting on the ground may make a difference if it is going to work.

Your idea is good, just make sure you get a vacuum/pump that will do the job. I doubt if one from the local hardware store will, but there are bigger ones out there that will. Many of us have them, it just depends on your situation as to which one you will need.
Doug

Larry B

Some people have had success with putting a shop vac motor assembly on top of a 55 gal drum. I have heard of them doing this to the shop vac as well. The drum then has a sump pump inside to keep it emptied. You could also berm the water and just use a sump pump to suck it from a low spot.

D

Dave Ott

Larry B said:
Some people have had success with putting a shop vac motor assembly on top of a 55 gal drum. I have heard of them doing this to the shop vac as well. The drum then has a sump pump inside to keep it emptied. You could also berm the water and just use a sump pump to suck it from a low spot.

Larry said it. Thanks Larry

grasshawg

Gotta get my .02 cents in. I asked the exact same question, and found that it wouldn't be very "cost effective". I got on a forum for a major hardware dealer, and also emailed the manufacturer, and turns out, a wet/dry vac is limited by it's capacity. You'd have to stop every 16 gallons to empty it. It WILL NOT suck water up and pump it out at the same time. Fill it up, turn it off, drag it up to the tank, open the drain, and empty it into your tank. No thanks!
Check out my thread in this category, titled "I put together my own system". You may find it interesting. Some people laughed at me, some thought it was at least worth a shot. Who knows? I think I'll try it. See what you think.
The wet/dry vac idea is insightful, but impractical. Kudos on thinking, though. Seems to be a lost art. Good luck!

D

Dave Ott

You can take a shop vac, and it does not need to have the pump out option. Yes it is true that they will not pumpout what they pickup without shutting down if you get the pumpout model. You place a sump pump with float (so it does not run constantly or a utility pump with automatic on and off), and put it it the shop vac. Then run discharge hose either through the top of vac, or preferrably out the side and sealed so no leaks (air or water) hinder the vacuum. Then run the length of discharge hose to your place of disposal. Either the grassy knoll, sanitary sewer if permitted, or you recovery tank on your truck or trailer. Shop vacs are a dime a dozen, the pump may run you 25.00 to 100.00 depending on what volume you need to move out of the vac. As Larry stated you need a good strong vac in some instatnces if the vac is high up on trailer. Recovery does not have to be exspensive. Maybe at the most a couple hundred for VAc, pump, disharge hose, and your time to put it together, maybe cheaper. Also inside the vac where the inlet will be you may want to put a pool filter bag or small laudry bag, or grab you better half's pantyhose and put them in there to catch all the big debris. The debri is the biggest killer of the pumps.

Last edited by a moderator:

grasshawg

Thanks, Dave. That sounds pretty cool. I'd probably get something bassackards,though! But I could see that coming together.

Navigator7

Why not a PW powered sludge pump?
Put in 4 gpm get out around 30 gpm and enough lift to get in in a truck tank or drum.

Our Sponsors