Ladder Purchase: What length?

Midwest68

Greetings everyone:

I'm getting a window cleaning business off the ground and have to purchase the essentials. I drive a Civic so I will be buying a folding ladder at the local home improvement center where I work. They have ladders that extend to 17' and another that extends to 22'. Should I opt for the longer model or will the shorter version get the job done for second story work? Would love to hear some solid advice. Thanks!

Midwest68

Micah

Midwest,

If your going to go with the folding ladders, I would opt for the 22 ft. Although it may be heavier, and more expensive, you'll apppreciate the extra 5 feet when you need it. Have you thought of getting a different vehicle? Cleaning residential windows out of a Civic can be done, but a truck or van would give a better appearance to the customer. Sometimes finances will not allow for a different vehicle when just starting, I know. I would suggest starting with store fronts. Store front accounts are easier to attain, in my opinion. You won't need a ladder, just a 8 and 12 pole. Hardly anybody will notice your in a Civic too. Although I bet your civic could do circles around my truck... using 1/4 of the gas... You wanna trade?

Micah Kommers
We Wash Windows www.we-wash-windows.com
South Carolina

Midwest68

Micah:

That's what I thought on the ladder advice, I just needed to hear it from someone else. Thanks!

I agree that a small truck or van would be much better but I really don't have much choice at this time. I am loving the great mileage that I get though and it's been a fantastic car for me.

What is the best way to get new business when you first start out. Obviously, I'll be washing some windows for friends and handing out a big stack of business cards to them, but what about fliers? Or just walking in off the street and talking to the businesses. I bought a DVD on E-Bay about the window washing business but it was a total waste of money - 12 minutes long! [puke] I do have to say that this forum has already answered a lot of questions.

Midwest68

Micah

Midwest,

I do not advertise for residential, so I know very little about marketing for it. I do know, that while doing commericial, I hand out about 3 cards a week to customers asking 'do you do houses?'. As far as commerical goes, handing out business cards to the decision maker is by far the most productive. The decision maker will ususally be the owner or manager. Having a professional card, a handshake, introducing yourself and business, and a definite price is key. Persistance is also required. Don't expect to spend a day out talking and have a day full of work the next week. Faithfully call on the same business once a month. They need to know that you'll be consistant. Also, don't undercut yourself. It would almost be better to be a dollar or two higher, and do a better job then your comp. Out of curiosity, how many WC'ers are up there in Charlotte?

Micah Kommers
South Carolina

Midwest68

Micah:

So far as window cleaners go, it looked like there were about 45 in the yellow pages. Of course, that's everyone from the big companies down to the small guys like me with a bucket and squeegie. I have a great work ethic, am always prompt and have a college education so I think that I can really be successful if I put some time into it. Right now, I work full-time at Lowes Home Improvement and simply need a way to bring in some extra $$$ on my days off and thought this might be a great option for me. How long have you been in the business? I looked at your website and I think it's very effective and well done. I appreciate your insight into the advertising part of the business. Have a great day!

Midwest68

Micah

Midwest,

Glad to help with your questions. I started washing windows when I was 15 and I'm 20 now. I started from the bottom, getting a few accounts close to the house. It was hard to get started, probably because of my age. I was finally able to buy a business. Now my parents wash windows, and recently my cousin. It's a great business. I'm happy I don't have 45 WCer's in my area, but then again, Charlotte is much bigger.

Micah Kommers
South Carolina

Our Sponsors