Pricing Question

Paverguy

Hi all,

Since I am new to the deck restoration business, I have a question. First of all I am mainly in the brick paving installation and restoration. I do have the equipment to do the work, which I have scaled down to a less powerful powerwasher so I will not hurt the wood. I was doing a quote this morning for a paver patio but I noticed the couple also had a wood deck which was in need of restoring. I mentioned to them that I was starting a new part of my business to expand to decks. I feel comfortable with restoring decks but I am trying to get my pricing down. The deck is approximately 550 square feet, it has approximately 20 lineal feet of railings and 4 steps. I have not given them a price just yet because I wanted to ask a few other professionals before giving them one. I was going to quote them $825 for doing the restoration. Do you think I am in line with my quote? Could you guys give me some feedback? Let me just tell you that this deck is not too detailed. The wood is nothing special, just your ordinary deck, just a need of some restoration. Thanks for getting back to me.

Paverguy

S

steve r

Paverguy said:
Hi all,

Since I am new to the deck restoration business, I have a question. First of all I am mainly in the brick paving installation and restoration. I do have the equipment to do the work, which I have scaled down to a less powerful powerwasher so I will not hurt the wood. I was doing a quote this morning for a paver patio but I noticed the couple also had a wood deck which was in need of restoring. I mentioned to them that I was starting a new part of my business to expand to decks. I feel comfortable with restoring decks but I am trying to get my pricing down. The deck is approximately 550 square feet, it has approximately 20 lineal feet of railings and 4 steps. I have not given them a price just yet because I wanted to ask a few other professionals before giving them one. I was going to quote them $825 for doing the restoration. Do you think I am in line with my quote? Could you guys give me some feedback? Let me just tell you that this deck is not too detailed. The wood is nothing special, just your ordinary deck, just a need of some restoration. Thanks for getting back to me.

Paverguy
Depending where ya at determines the price.Here where im at it would be around $1100.00 or so.What sealer is on there now .do ya plan to strip if sealed or just clean and neutralize then apply ready seal.what kind of wood .

Paverguy

The only sealer that was applied by the owner was Thompson Water Sealer. It is a pressure treated lumber, so nothing too special. I was thinking of using Deckscapes clear deck seal. I do know that once the deck is cleaned we need to add a brightener. If you do not like Deckscapes I would be open to suggestions on the different kinds of sealers. Thanks for the response. Look forward to hearing more.

S

steve r

Paverguy said:
The only sealer that was applied by the owner was Thompson Water Sealer. It is a pressure treated lumber, so nothing too special. I was thinking of using Deckscapes clear deck seal. I do know that once the deck is cleaned we need to add a brightener. If you do not like Deckscapes I would be open to suggestions on the different kinds of sealers. Thanks for the response. Look forward to hearing more.
I use ready and wood tux .www.sunbritesupply.com for info on sealers.stay away from the lowes homedepot stuff.what are ya using for brightner?

CaroliProWash

Keep in mind that clear sealers offer no UV protection - the deck will gray again. It is best to use a sealer with pigment in it.....it's like sunscreen for your wood :)

Celeste

Paverguy

steve r said:
I use ready and wood tux .www.sunbritesupply.com for info on sealers.stay away from the lowes homedepot stuff.what are ya using for brightner?

Steve I am probably going to use Sunbrite Citralic Wood Brightener and Neutralizer. I have been reading a ton about their products and they seem to be great. I was not going to use any homedepot or lowes stuff. In my mind I think the customer should get a quality product versus something directly off the self. Let me ask you another question. How many man hours would it take you to do a job like I asked? I always try to price my paving restoration jobs on man hours plus materials. So how long you it take you if you were doing this size of a deck and how many guys would you have working on it?

Thanks

S

steve r

Paverguy said:
Steve I am probably going to use Sunbrite Citralic Wood Brightener and Neutralizer. I have been reading a ton about their products and they seem to be great. I was not going to use any homedepot or lowes stuff. In my mind I think the customer should get a quality product versus something directly off the self. Let me ask you another question. How many man hours would it take you to do a job like I asked? I always try to price my paving restoration jobs on man hours plus materials. So how long you it take you if you were doing this size of a deck and how many guys would you have working on it?

Thanks
i myself can strip and neutralize the whole deck in 2 hrs or so.the next day go back and apply the sealer when dried .i also use a deckster and hurricane for applying ready seal.ready seal will not leave laps like some sealers do .total deck turn key is about 3 to 4 hrs for me.all the wood care products at sunbrite are awsome .i use it daily here in ga .10 miles from my home .most wood restoration chems are mostly powder form .mix with warm water for better performence.warm water melts the granules and easier to spray with a pump up sprayer or how ever you do it.I use a pump up sprayer for appling hd-80. then X-jet my brightner.just the way i do .

Last edited by a moderator:

Our Sponsors