waste water

grasshawg

Depends, I reckon, on the particular location. In certain City Limits, Municipalities, etc, local regulations may apply.
Then you've got the state to contend with. Most states don't want any wastewater seeping into the ground.
Lastly, the wonderful EPA steps in. There you find a host of regulations regarding wastewater getting into the ground water.
In short, while a particular city may not be concerned with it, somebody's always on your a$$.
Avoid any complications, and reclaim your wastewater. Try to get by with whatever you will, but rest assured, they will eventually catch up w/you. First time, a hefty fine. Second time, likely revocation of lisence to practice business. Third time, criminal prosecution.

grasshawg

What you need to do is sit back, get yourself some coffee, and read. Use the search function at the top of the page, and search key words. The results you get will astound you. You'll probably find out all you need to know.
That search function was put there so people could find info and there wouldn't be the same thing posted every week or two.
If you should fail to find an answer to your question, post away. These guys know their stuff, and will gladly help. Keep in mind the answers are only opinions, so if you don't agree, that's ok, too.
Don't feel comfortable posting? Some people, like me, have included their contact information as part of their signature. It's there for you. Use it.
what if they dont't want to be bothered, you ask? they shouldn't have put their info for the public to see.
Read, man. ALOT!! Before you ask questions, see if you can find your answer on you own. If you don't, ask away. Good luck!
Randy

squirtgun

ctwasher said:
any one see anything wrong with washing a house/roof/patio and leavig the waste water?

If the waste water isn't going to making it into a storm drain then you will be fine.The soil will bio-re mediate any chemicals long before they return to the water table.Also,if rinsed properly most house wash chemicals will be highly diluted by the time they hit the ground making bio-remediation a faster process.

One thing to remember about reclaim:The property owner owns the waste water not you.If at all possible it should remain on their property.It will likely need to be filtered of solids(sand,rocks etc.) and the oil(if present) filtered and either pumped to the sanitary sewer,grassy area or allowed to evaporate.

Doug T

Best to check with your local authorities as the rules are interpreted differently throughout the country. Just guessing but I would think in CT that it would be illegal. Based on the USPS bid info that said in Ct the trucks had to be washed on a mat.
Doug

squirtgun

Doug T said:
Best to check with your local authorities as the rules are interpreted differently throughout the country. Just guessing but I would think in CT that it would be illegal. Based on the USPS bid info that said in Ct the trucks had to be washed on a mat.
Doug

Doug T,
He asked about house washing.Fleetwashing would definitely be a different story.

Doug T

Scott,
Like I said just guessing because they seem to have some tough environmental rules. Besides, depending on what chems you are using, it is illegal here in MI for house washing "waste water" to go into the ground. I do not know about other states.
Doug

Last edited:

PressurePros

Will homeowners in your area pay the extra $150 for recovery? If your housewash is $300 and you add in recovery to come in at $450 will you be able to compete with guys charging $150 for the same wash and no recovery? I think it is ridiculous that you can wash your clothes with bleach and detergent and that wastewater makes it's way upline to storm drains yet using the same basic ingredients to housewash we fall under federal mandates. ::stepping off soapbox::

Doug T

Ken,
1) I cannot answer your question regarding the house washing maket , I cannot remember the last house I washed (besides my own).

2) As far as I know the water from your washing machine goes to the sanitary sewer, same as when you flush. Then on to the treatment plant, not to a storm drain.

3) I believe this a state reg, the Clean Water Act just says no off property discharge. I think. We just had a round table meeting and had someone from the MI DNR give a talk. In MI, if a contractor has any waste water it is not allowed to go on the ground with out a permit. There are some exceptions. If the waste is less than 1000 gal/acre/month and only "household" cleaners are used is one that could apply to house washing. There are others but I don't remember the particulars. Anyone wants more info go the the MI DNR site it is all there, and a very boring read.

Doug

D

Dave Ott

So every one that does decks will now have to recover? I can see the 50.00 deck guy now.

garry

ctwasher said:
any one see anything wrong with washing a house/roof/patio and leavig the waste water?
ctwasher this is easy, to find out just call your local sewer district in the same town you are washing a house, they will say yes or no. (garry)

Our Sponsors