For whom the waste water flows...

jkanitz

Hello all. I have a fairly young window cleaning and pressure washing company - added pressure washing a little over a year ago now. I am really focusing this year on being compliant with waste water issues and practicing environmental cleaning procedures. I want to do it right, and I am looking for a little guidance on the subject.

In the pressure wash arena, my business is all residential -> house washes, roof washing, driveways, back patios and other related flat work. I utilize a 5gpm, 3000psi hot water machine. First, is it accurate that waste water that is absorbed back into the homeowner's property (lawn, landscaping) is not to be concerned about? If for example, I am doing a house wash and part of the house perimeter is bordered by planters and lawn and my wash/rinse water is being absorbed into the land, am I O.K.? Is it even possible to reclaim water coming off house siding, or say a roof onto landscaping?

I would think my main concern is water that finds itself flowing down the homeowner's driveway, into public streets and storm drains. To be compliant, can I simply divert water running down a driveway by way of a dam system into the homeowner's lawn? Or perhaps use a sump pump to pump my dammed water back into the lawn? In other words, if I completely inhibit my water from leaving my client's property am I practicing compliance?

I realize that every area has slightly different rules, but if anyone has some feedback I would be grateful to hear it. Or maybe someone in my area may have some more specific advice (Ventura County, California). I have a related equipment question, but maybe I'll just start a separate thread for that. Thank You!
jason@advwindowcleaning.com

MR ALAN

Jason,
Visit the City of Simi Valley Public Works office. They have their very own and large packet that will describe in detail what should not happen and are very helpful.
We should meet up sometime, I am sure it would be beneficial to both of us.

Alan
805-217-2483
www.preferredpressure.com

jkanitz

Thank you Alan - I'll stop by public works on Monday and pick up that packet. Yes, if you have some time I'd really appreciate being able to meet up with you. You have a very nice website - really informative and well written. Is it alright if I give you a call? My number and direct email are below. I'll arrange around your schedule, just let me know what a good time is for you. Thank you!

Jason Kanitz
805-277-0774
jason@advwindowcleaning.com

Our Sponsors