What are you using to clean a roof?

douseahouse

Hey gang, we've got a great forum here but nobody's talking. Out of curiousity what's everyone using to clean their roofs and how's it working?

Rando

douseahouse

As far as I can tell that seems to be the number 1 cleaner used. I tried oxy-clean recently with some pretty good results. Anyone ever tried oxy-clean?

Rando

Micah

I've tried to get sodium hypoclorite as several pool suppliers. The only thing I've found there is the powdered form, which from what I'm reading is not the chemical of choice. The only thing close to the liquid form I found at a place I wouldn't buy chemicals from (Target). It was 5.25% sodium hypoclorite, and 94.75% "inert ingredients". What's the difference from that and bleach? Let alone it was 6 dollars for 2 quarts. Is there a good place on the internet to purchase sodium hypoclorite?

Micah Kommers
We Wash Windows www.we-wash-windows.com
Greenville, SC micah@we-wash-windows.com

Christopher

Rando,
I would like to talk to you about your Oxyclean roof experience. Please call or email me your phone number and a good time to call. Thanks.

douseahouse

good but not as good

i'll go ahead and tell you now that it worked good but not as good as the sodium hydrochlorite (liquid chlorine). i'm not sure about the mixture as i was just playing around. i will use it again if i run out of the good stuff.

have a great day,

rando

ffjay

I know chlorine has to be awful for the ground. Do you have to reclaim to waste water if so how?

Don Phelps

Other than possibly burning plants or grass which can be controlled with watering and tarps, it has no ill effects. It turns to salt when dried, hence the word 'sodium' in sodium hypochlorite. No one seems to take issue with road salt to dissolve snow/ice other than needing to wash their vehicles.

drivewaysonly

Don, that has to be the shortest yet, best paragraph regarding chlorine I have read. I concur.

I know there is a large debate amoung pro power washers over chlorine. I also know i want to stay OUT of that debate. Chlorine is unmatched in many areas for results. However, chemical selection is as important as pressure choice, water temp and brand of beer.

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Hmmmh brand of beer now there is a topic!

I guess that would need to go under Shoot The Bull. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• beer.gif
    beer.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 686

Roofbright1

Is this thread mostly relating to wood roofs with low or no pressure? I am new to the industry and wonder if this is a uniform topic, in other words, tile roofs? I am looking for the best set up for cleaning tile/concrete, both chemicals (if any) and equipment. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Paul

Stan

Don Phelps said:
No one seems to take issue with road salt to dissolve snow/ice other than needing to wash their vehicles.

Howdy Don, thought you been down in Florida long enough to forget about that white stuff and how to take care of it.

How you doing aint heard from you since you won that reel from me. and yes I know about the disagreement sorry that it caused a friendship.

Don Phelps

Hey Bruce,

How's life in 'Bama? When we're not dodging hurricanes, we're running from gators and wildfires down here. Life is never dull in Florida.

http://www.local6.com/news/9237092/detail.html

As far as friendships go, that one was built out of money, so don't believe everything you hear. There's always 3 sides to every story.

Last edited:

Asbestos

Micah said:
I've tried to get sodium hypoclorite as several pool suppliers. The only thing I've found there is the powdered form, which from what I'm reading is not the chemical of choice. The only thing close to the liquid form I found at a place I wouldn't buy chemicals from (Target). It was 5.25% sodium hypoclorite, and 94.75% "inert ingredients". What's the difference from that and bleach? Let alone it was 6 dollars for 2 quarts. Is there a good place on the internet to purchase sodium hypoclorite?

it should all be labled as to % of NaOCL the 5.25% is the most common.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite http://www.chlorineinstitute.org/SodiumHypochlorite/ArticleList.cfm?CFID=470768&CFTOKEN=de92e14a74f7d95d-701CE240-C29B-EBCB-AA4C78F343C74E25

Micah

I found it a while back ago, thanks for the reply though. Turns out, pool suppliers in South Carolina (at least everyone I went too), said they don't carry it because it requires special permits and so forth in order to stock it. I now buy it from an under supplied and maybe over-priced chemical house. 17 dollars for 5 gallons, is that the norm? If somebody wanted to make some money, open up a pw'ing supply store in Upstate, SC. I'll prob be making the trip to Atlanta next month to check out Sunbright...

Asbestos

Micah said:
I found it a while back ago, thanks for the reply though. Turns out, pool suppliers in South Carolina (at least everyone I went too), said they don't carry it because it requires special permits and so forth in order to stock it. I now buy it from an under supplied and maybe over-priced chemical house. 17 dollars for 5 gallons, is that the norm? If somebody wanted to make some money, open up a pw'ing supply store in Upstate, SC. I'll prob be making the trip to Atlanta next month to check out Sunbright...
it all depends on the % of the $17 stuff. it it was 25% then it is about 4x stronger and a gallon of bleach in the store is what 2-3$ so that sounds good but if it is 5.25% it may be easier to just get it from the grocery

russ s

i am paying 85.00 for a 55 gallon drum of sodium hypoclorite 12.5% i get it from a local pool supplier and if i order it before 4:30 on wednesday i get it by lunch the following day

Our Sponsors